• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 11:19 am
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City

Double Check on a 16GB RAM Upgrade on a 2012 13" Mid MacBook Pro

So I've seen online sources confirming that the mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro can indeed support 16GB of RAM in a 8GB x 2 configuration. Apple does mention that 8GB is the max. I currently have the 8GB but am looking to upgrade this to 16GB and to toss in a 500gb SSD.

However, some say that upgrading to 16GB won't be efficient, and some say otherwise. So I am not sure how to proceed. I do want to see if it can be upgraded and for it to run efficiently.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... o-mid-2012

Anyone have more information on this, etc.? Would be beneficial.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Mar 17, 2006
6220 posts
4681 upvotes
North York
djemzine wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 10:56 am

However, some say that upgrading to 16GB won't be efficient, and some say otherwise.
efficient? what does that mean?
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
konsensei wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:39 am
efficient? what does that mean?
"Hi Allan, thanks for the answer. I've read an article that is located on the Apple Support Communities website and they say that my MacBook pro only supports 8 GB of RAM but you can insert an 16GB one but it will not give the best performance." Per the link I sent.
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
audit13 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:43 am
Definitely works with 16 GB of ram: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sold-lni ... #p28504135
Beauty! I take it that it worked flawlessly? Is $151 a good price?
Mar 17, 2006
6220 posts
4681 upvotes
North York
djemzine wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 12:55 pm
"Hi Allan, thanks for the answer. I've read an article that is located on the Apple Support Communities website and they say that my MacBook pro only supports 8 GB of RAM but you can insert an 16GB one but it will not give the best performance." Per the link I sent.
It wouldn't give any performance boost if all he did was open 2 browser tabs, 1 to watch Youtube and 1 to browse Apple Community Support page.

It does support 16gb, most likely in 2x8 and not 1x16. And yes, more ram = better in term of what and how many tasks you can keep running in background to the limit of CPU and GPU, of course.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15013 posts
2072 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 12:59 pm
Beauty! I take it that it worked flawlessly? Is $151 a good price?
Yes, it worked flawlessly for the month that I used it. Never heard any complaints from the buyer too.

$151 is kind of high.

Any low-density (8 chips per side) 1600 ddr3L sodimm should work. I'm not sure about high density. They don't even have to be the same brand, just the same speed.

$57.99/stick: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=074828
Last edited by audit13 on Feb 8th, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mar 11, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:00 pm
It wouldn't give any performance boost if all he did was open 2 browser tabs, 1 to watch Youtube and 1 to browse Apple Community Support page.
lol
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
konsensei wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:00 pm

It does support 16gb, most likely in 2x8 and not 1x16. And yes, more ram = better in term of what and how many tasks you can keep running in background to the limit of CPU and GPU, of course.
Oh of course. I am sure the difference will be also known when one does photo or video editing, etc.

Lol at the apple support page comment haha.
audit13 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:23 pm
Yes, it worked flawlessly for the month that I used it. Never heard any complaints from the buyer too.

$151 is kind of high.

Any low-density (8 chips per side) 1600 ddr3L sodimm should work. I'm not sure about high density. They don't even have to be the same brand, just the same speed.

$57.99/stick: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=074828
Oh wow. Thanks for finding this. Definitely is cheaper than the Crucial one. I think the RAM I have now is GSkill but I could be wrong haha.

I did see this one review though, and I am not sure how that happened:

"I upgraded my laptop Lenovo T430 with this from 8gb to 12gb setup before going on an overseas work trip. I didn't have too much time to test it, and it seemed to work. Upon arrival in London, laptop started failing, over in Geneva, my institute's IT was able to trace the defective RAM and took it out. Further more, it damaged SWAP space in my SSD and a few capacitors in the motherboard. IT was able to repair the capacitors, but damaged sectors in SSD is gone for good. I contacted manufacturer who wants me to ship it to USA from Geneva, costing somewhere along $100, at my charge. Do not buy it, it is garbage, and its warranty service is garbage. Save your money, and get something better."
16521 posts
3571 upvotes
Toronto
Single 8 GB Patriot module is $46.99 on Amazon.ca right now.

PSD38G1600L2S

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B009WIW9G ... op?ie=UTF8

Depending on how much memory you need you can swap in just one for a total of 10-12 GB or else two for 16 GB. Latter is safer and ideal.

It appears to have the right specs and someone on the US Amazon site confirms it works in the mid-2012 MBP. Someone else is using it with a 2011 MBP too.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
EugW wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 2:07 pm
Single 8 GB Patriot module is $46.99 on Amazon.ca right now.

PSD38G1600L2S

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B009WIW9G ... op?ie=UTF8

Depending on how much memory you need you can swap in just one for a total of 10-12 GB or else two for 16 GB. Latter is safer and ideal.

It appears to have the right specs and someone on the US Amazon site confirms it works in the mid-2012 MBP. Someone else is using it with a 2011 MBP too.
Beauty! Thanks! At least I have more alternatives that are cheaper than Crucial.

Edit: Have you heard of Highly Anticipated Electronics? It is sold by them, but fulfilled by Amazon.
Feb 24, 2003
15013 posts
2072 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:58 pm
Oh of course. I am sure the difference will be also known when one does photo or video editing, etc.

Lol at the apple support page comment haha.

Oh wow. Thanks for finding this. Definitely is cheaper than the Crucial one. I think the RAM I have now is GSkill but I could be wrong haha.

I did see this one review though, and I am not sure how that happened:

"I upgraded my laptop Lenovo T430 with this from 8gb to 12gb setup before going on an overseas work trip. I didn't have too much time to test it, and it seemed to work. Upon arrival in London, laptop started failing, over in Geneva, my institute's IT was able to trace the defective RAM and took it out. Further more, it damaged SWAP space in my SSD and a few capacitors in the motherboard. IT was able to repair the capacitors, but damaged sectors in SSD is gone for good. I contacted manufacturer who wants me to ship it to USA from Geneva, costing somewhere along $100, at my charge. Do not buy it, it is garbage, and its warranty service is garbage. Save your money, and get something better."
Damaged swap space? Sounds bizarre because swap space is temporary and would not be used for saving files.

Damaged capacitors? Also sounds strange because the only way I know to fix a damaged capacitor is to replace it which requires a person that can perform board level repairs.

Sounds like the IT was feeding garbage to a technophobe.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16521 posts
3571 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 2:10 pm
Beauty! Thanks! At least I have more alternatives that are cheaper than Crucial.

Edit: Have you heard of Highly Anticipated Electronics? It is sold by them, but fulfilled by Amazon.
Never heard of them but I’m usually OK with third parties if fulfilled by Amazon.

Otherwise other brands including Crucial are available and less money than you posted. Crucial sold by Amazon is $65.99 for a single 8 GB module.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-Single-PC ... r3l&sr=8-2

Odd that the 2x8 = 16 GB kit is much more expensive.
Last edited by EugW on Feb 8th, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15013 posts
2072 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 2:56 pm
Never heard of them but I’m usually OK with third parties if fulfilled by Amazon.

Otherwise other brands including Crucial are available. Crucial sold by Amazon is $65.99 for a single 8 GB module.

Odd because the 2x8 = 16 GB kit is $140.99.
Price could be higher because you are paying for a "matched set"?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16521 posts
3571 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 2:59 pm
Price could be higher because you are paying for a "matched set"?
Well if you buy two of the same model then it’s a matched set. :)

Anyhow, two is usually a bit cheaper than one but sometimes they have good sales which puts pricing out of whack.

For example, a while back I was looking for decent RAM for my 2008 MacBook - 2x4 GB DD3-1066 but most name brand RAM was about $75-$100 for that or about $40+ each. Then one day Amazon had a clearout and sold off one brand for $22 so I snapped up two for a total price of $44 plus tax. I posted it here and IIRC they sold out in half an hour or something like that.