Home & Garden

Douglas Bed vs Endy? What's the difference?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 4:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3089 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto

Douglas Bed vs Endy? What's the difference?

I'm currently going through a trial of several online foam bed retailers, including:
Novosbed
Casper
Endy
Leesa
Silk & Snow

and recently stumbled upon yet ANOTHER brand, called "Douglas Bed" Website Link, which appears to be a subsidiary (or sub-brand) of Novosbed. Novosbed tends to be the most expensive price mattress out of the bunch because they use the highest quality (most dense, longer lasting) foam compared to all the rest. I guess, this may be akin to Novosbed = Acura and Douglas Bed = Honda.

From what I can tell, the Douglas Bed is incredibly similar to the Endy, whereby the top comfort layer is 2" of gel-infused memory foam. The only difference is that the middle transition layer is 3" on the Endy while it's 2" on the Douglas Bed... but both beds end up being 10" thick.

Endy recently increased their prices in March (confirmed by an Endy rep, to be "competitive with other brands"), but this Douglas Bed is a fair bit cheaper than the Endy and offers a LONGER sleep trial period.

... so, has anyone tried a Douglas Bed yet? Have you also tried an Endy? How do the two compare to each other?
64 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14109 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
IMHO, TempurPedic memory foam (no gel) or else name brand pocket coil with pillow top.

However, I feel that pocket coil mattresses need to replaced every five years or sometimes less. Cheap no-name pocket coil mattresses are not worth it, as they lose their support in 1-2 years. I have not tried all the mattress-in-a-box memory mattresses out there, but of the few I have tried, I have not been impressed. I am a consumer, not a mattress expert, but that has been my experience.

I haven't tried latex foam mattresses (aside from other mattresses with some latex foam in them). That's next on my list to try. How does Novosbed's memory foam compare to TempurPedic? If the specs check out, then I would consider giving them a try too if the price is right.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Repooc wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 2:37 pm
I'm currently going through a trial of several[/b] online foam bed retailers, including:
Novosbed
Casper
Endy
Leesa
Silk & Snow

........ compare to each other?

Undergoing a trial? Do you have all these at home and are using them? What do you mean by undergoing trial?
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3089 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 14th, 2017 9:50 am
Undergoing a trial? Do you have all these at home and are using them? What do you mean by undergoing trial?
Yup... They all have 100 to 120 night sleep trials with free returns. I set up a pretty elaborate schedule; That allows my wife and I to test each bed for at least 30 consecutive nights. We have two twin xl adjustable bases placed side-by-side to make an equivalent king size bed.

So far, my favourite is the novosbed medium firmness with the soft comfort kit. While my wife really likes the Casper. We should have our decision made by the end of June.

I found the Casper to retain way too much heat and often woke up with a clammy back. But my wife is a stomach sleeper and is forever cold, so I guess that's why she likes it.

I have a pretty big house that I can stash the unused matresses in a spare bedroom. And the twin xl mistress is pretty easy to maneuver around.
Nov 22, 2015
1 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, BC
I have a Capser at home and have enjoyed it so far. However, this lawsuit vs Sleepolis is a bit concerning: https://sleepopolis.com/blog/casper-sue ... l-lawsuit/

Casper is spending a tonne on marketing, but not sure if it's the best product out there. I've had my Casper for 2 years now and it's been great so far, but I am looking at other options to try.
Apr 10, 2011
575 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver
Repooc wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 8:27 am
anybody?
How's your mattress research going?

For me Casper was a little to soft. I sunk in well for comfort but wanted more pushback for support.

I'm curious of the Novosbed but it's 50% more than the Leesa -- which I'm also curious about.

I like latex but wish it had a little more give. I know someone who added a memory foam topper to his latex for a great long lasting solution.
Apr 10, 2011
575 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver
Repooc wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 8:27 am
anybody?
How's your mattress research going?

For me Casper was a little to soft. I sunk in well for comfort but wanted more pushback for support.

I'm curious of the Novosbed but it's 50% more than the Leesa -- which I'm also curious about.

I like latex but wish it had a little more give. I know someone who added a memory foam topper to his latex for a great long lasting solution.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6297 posts
2151 upvotes
4zim wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 11:24 am
Have you had experience with the Hamuq? Strongly considering it as I look for a new mattress but would love some insight!
Same. Not memory foam sounds quite appealing.
Internet Movie Car Database (Contributions) - http://imcdb.org/movies.php?contrib=Soro
Aug 27, 2004
902 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote:
May 14th, 2017 5:41 pm
Yup... They all have 100 to 120 night sleep trials with free returns. I set up a pretty elaborate schedule; That allows my wife and I to test each bed for at least 30 consecutive nights. We have two twin xl adjustable bases placed side-by-side to make an equivalent king size bed.

So far, my favourite is the novosbed medium firmness with the soft comfort kit. While my wife really likes the Casper. We should have our decision made by the end of June.

I found the Casper to retain way too much heat and often woke up with a clammy back. But my wife is a stomach sleeper and is forever cold, so I guess that's why she likes it.

I have a pretty big house that I can stash the unused matresses in a spare bedroom. And the twin xl mistress is pretty easy to maneuver around.
I like the idea of twin xl beds, may I ask what bases/beds are you using. I'm looking for ones that have storage underneath.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3089 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Boss_Scorpius wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 5:15 pm
I like the idea of twin xl beds, may I ask what bases/beds are you using. I'm looking for ones that have storage underneath.
I bought 2 of these adjustable bases off of Amazon.
Amazon Adjustable Bases

As you can see in the pic, there's plenty of storage space below. It actually comes with adjustable legs that allows you to choose a range of heights.
Sep 1, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
I just spent 30 days with the Douglas bed and I found it much too hard. I'm 190 lbs and I felt as if I couldn't sink into the mattress.

Next, we're going to try the Endy. I tested it at their store in Toronto and felt it had the right firmness, but we'll see once I sleep on it for a week.

Any updates on your experiences? Which mattress are you liking most so far?
Jun 2, 2016
15 posts
2 upvotes
I have a Capser at home and have enjoyed it so far. However, this lawsuit vs Sleepolis is a bit concerning: https://sleepopolis.com/blog/casper-sue ... l-lawsuit/

Casper is spending a tonne on marketing, but not sure if it's the best product out there. I've had my Casper for 2 years now and it's been great so far, but I am looking at other options to try.
We have had a Casper mattress for two years and it is as comfortable today as it was on day one. I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit of Goldilocks when it comes to mattresses. My test is whether I can actually fall asleep within a half hour. The Casper passed the test within minutes of the first time I laid down. Last summer I spent a week at an AirBnB with a Novosbed bed . The bed was actually the reason I booked the apartment. I wanted to have the opportunity to compare the Casper to another cozzy bed-in-a-box brand. It was a fairly uncomfortable visit and I was tired and achy during most of my stay. I can't even put the two mattresses in the same category. The Novosbed reminded me of sleeping on a futon in a college apartment. The Casper feels like a hotel mattress.
Aug 22, 2005
795 posts
81 upvotes
Brampton
Repooc wrote:
May 14th, 2017 5:41 pm

Wow... good for you man! You should be writing your own reviews instead of asking us.Smiling Face With Open MouthWinking Face
Jun 27, 2017
86 posts
94 upvotes
GTA
In the market for a mattress too and eyeing Endy. OP, have you made your final decision yet? What can you say about Endy?