• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2017 2:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
558 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

Down Filled Jacket (North Face) - Where to Dry Clean? [GTA]

So I was doing some reading around and am getting a bit of conflicting information.

I have a North Face jacket that I really want to get cleaned - On the North Face website it says to send down filled items to a dry cleaner/specialty cleaner.

On the label within my jacket says do not dry clean and its machine washable.

I know Canada Goose needs to be specially dry cleaned (for that price I would think you want to take care of that jacket), but then I read that Nobis another brand states that you can machine wash them (with special instructions of course).

Does anyone have a dry cleaner they can recommend in the Markham/Richmond Hill area?

How is Careful Cleaners [http://carefulcleaners.com/]?

Or how is Evergreen cleaners [http://www.evergreencorp.ca/quality-ser ... ndability/]?

TIA
7 replies
Jan 4, 2008
47 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough
I have machine washed my north face parka just recently. Had no issues at all. If you follow their machine wash guidelines and if it does get damaged you can always send it in for warranty repair for free.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1185 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely just use the washing machine. Throw it into the dryer on low with a couple tennis balls. It will take several cycles in the dryer to dry out. I've done this hundreds of times over the years - no problems. Make sure to empty all pockets and zip/snap shut all closures first. Be prepared for the coat to come out of the washer heavy and even full of water, just squeeze it out into the sink before throwing into dryer.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10719 posts
1439 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Most ppl check the washing instructions on their garment to follow instead of going to the website. So, just do what the tag says.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1328 posts
146 upvotes
Markham
hoponpop wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 12:59 pm
Definitely just use the washing machine. Throw it into the dryer on low with a couple tennis balls. It will take several cycles in the dryer to dry out. I've done this hundreds of times over the years - no problems. Make sure to empty all pockets and zip/snap shut all closures first. Be prepared for the coat to come out of the washer heavy and even full of water, just squeeze it out into the sink before throwing into dryer.
+1 on this. I just did it a few weeks ago and tennis balls worked perfectly. I did have to run the dryer 2-3 times
Temp. Banned
Dec 4, 2011
351 posts
56 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Follow instructions, not all down jackets are the same.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
558 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the input all

Also to note - another reason I was wanting to re-wash my jacket as it was starting to "get wet" (dryvent)

I had it for a few years, along with a few other jackets that I stopped wearing because they were no longer "waterproof"

I found a spray that 're-proofs' your jacket (spray on DWR)

https://www.amazon.ca/Grangers-GRF85-Xt ... s=grangers

Grangers is what I bought, theres also Nikwax from Sportchek but its not as well reviewed.

Anyways, just thought I would also mention this as well.

I washed an old north face wind breaker that was no longer water proof, sprayed on this stuff and followed instructions. Now water is beading and rolling right off the jacket again like it was new. Very happy and will be washing my larger north face jacket shortly and using this stuff.
Jul 25, 2015
248 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You do not and I repeat do not want to send waterproof laminated material to drycleaners.