Is downsizing tires bad for your car?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2018 5:04 pm
Tags:
May 29, 2018
3 posts

Is downsizing tires bad for your car?

Hello!

I recently found a nail in one of my tires. It's in the side wall so the guy at the shop said I'll have to get new tires since its not repairable. I drive a 2016 Toyota Corolla LE with tire size 205/55-R16. I got home and saw that my dad still has his old tires from his 2009 Corolla CE tire size 195/65-R15. I was wondering if they would be compatible with my car in the meantime, I don't get paid for a couple weeks so I can't shell out money for new tires at the moment.

I don't know much about cars at all, any help would be appreciated!
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
I downsize fro 16" to 15" for the winter. No issues. Actually its better because you leave more room in case of snow build up.

Just make sure the rims/tires fit.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jul 16, 2015
47 posts
22 upvotes
Yep they'll work fine provided that they are already on rims.
The base Corolla CE comes with that size from the factory, so there wont be any issues.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
What's the tyre diameter difference? If the same, no difference . If the temp tyres are smaller, you will experience faster acceleration but need higher RPMs to do the same speed. Speedo will be off (read too high), and mileage will suffer and the odometer will turnover faster.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
It'll fit. Personally I don't like the idea of giving up close to 5% of my contact patch.
May 29, 2018
3 posts
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

The tires seem to be nearly the same size when I put them side by side. Just need to use them for the next couple weeks till I get paid. I don't drive too much, I was just afraid of getting a flat in the middle of a highway.

Thanks again!
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
Lickie wrote: Thanks for the replies everyone :)

The tires seem to be nearly the same size when I put them side by side. Just need to use them for the next couple weeks till I get paid. I don't drive too much, I was just afraid of getting a flat in the middle of a highway.

Thanks again!

I assume your dad's tires are on rims?

If they aren't, they won't fit your rims.
May 29, 2018
3 posts
Ah yes, I forgot to say they are already on rims.

Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)