Downvote should be eliminated from RFD

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2019 9:11 am
[OP]
Feb 11, 2018
159 posts
299 upvotes

Downvote should be eliminated from RFD

What is the incentive to keep on posting deals one finds when you are downvoted? Much nicer for people to keep the knowledge of a deal to themselves and not having to deal with the negativity of downvotes.

IOW, people who downvote deals are actually cutting themselves from the knowledge of future deals. There is enough negativity in the world we don't need to create more here at RFD.
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5909 posts
2635 upvotes
You seem to really be taking this personally. The best advice you might get is to remember that this is the internet. Don't take everything so seriously. Why do you give a shit what other people think?

And, yes, I down voted this thread and rightfully so.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11333 posts
6137 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yes! Let's all think of the children!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
2192 posts
9702 upvotes
People downvote THREADS based on how stupid the THREAD is, not everything on this forum is DEAL related.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11659 posts
2681 upvotes
Montréal
I don't mind down votes, just consistency so if upvotes have a name attached, so should down votes.

I disagree w someone here, sometimes ppl down vote just to be pricks. I've seen perfectly good topics and questions get down voted just for the hell of it. Makes no sense except to be annoying.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jan 22, 2017
960 posts
208 upvotes
omg.. can you imagine the amount of threads that will be posted if no downvote exists??
we would need endless threads with HOT HOT HOT in the topic title.
STEP INTO THE DARK SIDE...
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12118 posts
1804 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Conquistador wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 10:34 pm
You seem to really be taking this personally. The best advice you might get is to remember that this is the internet. Don't take everything so seriously. Why do you give a shit what other people think?

And, yes, I down voted this thread and rightfully so.

His dob will explain everything. Shhhhh... liberal SJW millennials. They get rattled if you bend a piece of grass. *grass has feelings too* :rolleyes:

And, admittedly, another down voter here for the thread. -1.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11473 posts
4819 upvotes
Toronto
so the last thread on this very topic was closed, so OP starts another?

Downvoted.

Here's a thought OP, stop posting crap threads and you won't get downvoted.
Last edited by Swerny on Jan 11th, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11333 posts
6137 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hey Tom!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2859 posts
204 upvotes
Never used downvote. I think.
But get rid of it.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11840 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I think downvotes should be only in Hot Deals and removed from subforums where low content is locked and inappropriate content is reported/deleted like before. Voting in Deals tells me if the deal is worth my time at a glance to enter the thread or not.

I used to think Shopping Discussion was a tough crowd where members were often chastised by those who thought highly of themselves. Now I see in other subs where negativity is fuelled by similar or egocentrism and lack of empathy. Although I usually care less what people say behind a keyboard, it does lower my willingness to start or reply anything helpful even it is towards a handful.

I belong to a Toyota forum where there is no downvoting at all, only a "Thanks" button. You get a vacation if you bring up anything political, sexual or inappropriate, same for name calling or derogatory towards another member no matter how minor, it's not tolerated. It is one of my favourite forums because everyone understands the decorum or it attracts people who will follow it, and we end up joking, being helpful, and talking about our lives, it's a real family/friends atmosphere with people in the U.S. and around the world.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17149 posts
23666 upvotes
ONTARIO
I disagree that it should be removed. If a deal is bad or just straight up a scam, then the thumbs down is one way we have to let others know to be wary or to stay away.

I think if a thread gets enough thumbs downs in comparison to it's thumbs up, it should be automatically moved to the expired deals forum.
Yes, we can always report these bad deal threads and hope a moderator can take action, but maybe some sort of automated system wouldn't be so bad either, especially when a moderator isn't around.

Like there was a thread in the hot deals forum that was advertising some sort of predatory loan as a "hot deal". It had well over 150+ thumbs down by the time I saw it but was still in the hot deals section.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23891 posts
9454 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:13 pm
I am surprised you are still alive.
Downvoted to oblivion Face With Tears Of Joy