Site Comments & Suggestions

Downvote should be eliminated from RFD

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2019 9:11 am
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3473 posts
1317 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:37 am
I disagree that it should be removed. If a deal is bad or just straight up a scam, then the thumbs down is one way we have to let others know to be wary or to stay away.

I think if a thread gets enough thumbs downs in comparison to it's thumbs up, it should be automatically moved to the expired deals forum.
I agree with your first comment, not sure I agree with the second.
Many times a thread with a lot of downvotes will contain information on the product as you indicated. Automatic removal would hide the information or lead to new reposts of the same bad deal.
If you are getting different credit scores from different sources please post them here:
Comparing the consumer accessible credit scores
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2008
786 posts
840 upvotes
BC
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:37 am
I disagree that it should be removed. If a deal is bad or just straight up a scam, then the thumbs down is one way we have to let others know to be wary or to stay away.

I think if a thread gets enough thumbs downs in comparison to it's thumbs up, it should be automatically moved to the expired deals forum.
ROYinTO wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:13 pm
I agree with your first comment, not sure I agree with the second.
Many times a thread with a lot of downvotes will contain information on the product as you indicated. Automatic removal would hide the information or lead to new reposts of the same bad deal.
I agree with BobSagget. Note that he stated "enough thumbs downs in comparison to its thumbs up". So if a thread got 100 downvotes, it wouldn't be affected if it also got 100 upvotes (assuming a relatively even distribution of votes coming in over time). Also the word "enough" is arbitrary. If you set this number at 200, most threads would never get there. Only the most egregious would, and I highly doubt that 'deal' would be posted again. What is the correct number? Not sure, but I would suggest something at least north of 50.

I'm only speaking in regards to the Hot Deals forum, as that's the one I spend 99% of my time in. I can't make and informed argument either way for the other forums.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17170 posts
23693 upvotes
ONTARIO
ROYinTO wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:13 pm
I agree with your first comment, not sure I agree with the second.
Many times a thread with a lot of downvotes will contain information on the product as you indicated. Automatic removal would hide the information or lead to new reposts of the same bad deal.
That's why I said moved to expired. Anyone can check the expired forum to see the thread still. I thought that was better than just a system that automatically deleted the thread entirely.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16507 posts
1534 upvotes
Thornhill
DOWNVOTES SHOULD NOT BE ANONYMOUS!

And FFS make it so that they must post a constructive reason why they are downvoting.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
8962 posts
5249 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Let the down vote function remain. The hot deals section already gives a reason why the thread is down voted. It's up to the RFD member to look at the reason why. Bad products or services is a pretty good reason for a down vote, just like specific targeted deals such as the weekly offers on INDIVIDUAL PC Optimum accounts.

Also leave it anonymous because too many RFD members already act like a bunch of whiney children who like to hold grudges. Letting members know who down voted them will just lead to retaliation and trolling.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15984 posts
3111 upvotes
Toronto
I like that it's on threads only and not comments. I use to say something (or just give an idea) different from the rest of the group and all of a sudden I had -25 on my comment. THAT I take personally, yes.
Thumbs up on comments is nice, once in a while I go back to see what people liked.

In terms of threads, I don't mind it because it speaks to the "hotness" of the thread. However, I am disappointed when I'm trying to post something to let people know and it gets down voted. I think disappointed is the best word here.
Meanwhile, some of my bets work (IMO) doesn't get a thumbs up, so that sucks too.

I don't know, it is what it is. I contribute because I know it's for the greater good of RFD.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
2432 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
t3359 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 2:11 pm
DOWNVOTES SHOULD NOT BE ANONYMOUS!

And FFS make it so that they must post a constructive reason why they are downvoting.

bjl
+1

I don't really pay attention to votes, but just came to notice that a thread I started in the discussion section about BluRay had 2 up and 2 down. I can understand why people would thumb up or down deals, but to thumb down a discussion? I just don't understand the mentality. Strikes me as petty and childish.

Without a comment, there is no way to evaluate if there is reasonable dissent, or if it is just some vindictive crackpot who is on a power trip.

I can respect why things are anon - to avoid hostile personal flame wars.
With that said, would love to see thumbs as a user stat: keep a tab of how many + and - a user has deployed.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 26, 2005
16507 posts
1534 upvotes
Thornhill
Once they decided that downvotes were to be anonymous, it stuck no matter how we complained. No one has convincingly told us why they chose for it to be this way. I feel it's useless to complain since they're going to stick with the decision for some undisclosed reason no matter how much we complain.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
2432 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 12:02 am
I think in large part downvotes are the expression of unhappy, frustrated and bitter individuals. Sometimes I look at other people's thread being downvoted and shake my head.
I've had some experience with consensus based organizations.
Basically, the thumbs down is treated very seriously, as in, it is not possible for me to move forward at all.
The idea being - you use it only when something is really important to you, with the goal being to see if further discussions can evoke some form of consensus.
Point being - it isn't thrown around lightly, which is what I suspect happens here fairly frequently.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
2432 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 8:08 am
Yep, you are correct. It is unfortunate that the individual(s) responsible for managing this site are unable to realize that downvotes do not add anything positive to the discussions.
I wonder if things would improve if a third "middle ground" option were available. Something like a "meh" button. At the very least, some way to distinguish between "I disagree" and "stay away it:s a scam". Ideally, some way to distinguish between " this is not a deal" and "I do not believe in the product/service".
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
165 upvotes
Vancouver
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 8:08 am
Yep, you are correct. It is unfortunate that the individual(s) responsible for managing this site are unable to realize that downvotes do not add anything positive to the discussions.
The reason is quite simple actually. They site administrators and those who manage this site are being influenced by Reddit which is big on up and downvoting. The listing of upvotes is leading the way to having karma points influencing post behavior.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24746 posts
5025 upvotes
Downvotes used to be fun when they counted towards a person's visible downvote count and you could also downvote individual posts, lol. However I just recently realised that the downvotes that count towards no tally at all and only affect threads as a whole, seems a little useless. It seems a lot of threads get downvoted, just because, rather than for any reason.

Downvotes on threads actually make a lot of sense in Hot Deals though, IMO. On the other subforums it seems like it makes no difference at all. It doesn't stop me from clicking on a thread (what stops me is some of the thread-starters I know make lame-brain threads--I have most of these ppl on ignore but unfortunately their created-threads don't disappear).

You can actually sort the list by score but I imagine no one bothers doing this because it's going to disregard dates in the process I believe and no one wants to raise old threads from the dead for no reason.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Keep it in Hot Deals, remove it from the rest as it seems to have little purpose in the others.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16436 posts
8775 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Another anomaly of the voting system and a suggestion for dealing with it...

From the Brim Mastercard thread:
tor98 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 12:23 am
Why there are 99 downvote on this? I read a few pages ( but not 390 of them) and couldn’t figure it out
bylo wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 7:33 am
Read the first few pages if you want the history. Also keep the vote count in context. In the early date it was something like Up: 0 and Down: 99. That's slowly changed to what you see today as Brim has finally got their act together.

This is a flaw in the voting system on older, continuing threads. Perhaps in these sorts of threads the vote count should only show votes cast in the past few weeks or months rather than start from day one. Or maybe the vote count could link to a histogram, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa

Top