Downvote should be eliminated from RFD

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 12:22 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15645 posts
20865 upvotes
ONTARIO
I disagree that it should be removed. If a deal is bad or just straight up a scam, then the thumbs down is one way we have to let others know to be wary or to stay away.

I think if a thread gets enough thumbs downs in comparison to it's thumbs up, it should be automatically moved to the expired deals forum.
Yes, we can always report these bad deal threads and hope a moderator can take action, but maybe some sort of automated system wouldn't be so bad either, especially when a moderator isn't around.

Like there was a thread in the hot deals forum that was advertising some sort of predatory loan as a "hot deal". It had well over 150+ thumbs down by the time I saw it but was still in the hot deals section.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19287 posts
5531 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:13 pm
I am surprised you are still alive.
Downvoted to oblivion Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2888 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:37 am
I disagree that it should be removed. If a deal is bad or just straight up a scam, then the thumbs down is one way we have to let others know to be wary or to stay away.

I think if a thread gets enough thumbs downs in comparison to it's thumbs up, it should be automatically moved to the expired deals forum.
I agree with your first comment, not sure I agree with the second.
Many times a thread with a lot of downvotes will contain information on the product as you indicated. Automatic removal would hide the information or lead to new reposts of the same bad deal.
Mar 2, 2008
624 posts
614 upvotes
BC
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:37 am

ROYinTO wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:13 pm
Many times a thread with a lot of downvotes will contain information on the product as you indicated. Automatic removal would hide the information or lead to new reposts of the same bad deal.
I agree with BobSagget. Note that he stated "enough thumbs downs in comparison to its thumbs up". So if a thread got 100 downvotes, it wouldn't be affected if it also got 100 upvotes (assuming a relatively even distribution of votes coming in over time). Also the word "enough" is arbitrary. If you set this number at 200, most threads would never get there. Only the most egregious would, and I highly doubt that 'deal' would be posted again. What is the correct number? Not sure, but I would suggest something at least north of 50.

I'm only speaking in regards to the Hot Deals forum, as that's the one I spend 99% of my time in. I can't make and informed argument either way for the other forums.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15645 posts
20865 upvotes
ONTARIO
ROYinTO wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 12:13 pm
That's why I said moved to expired. Anyone can check the expired forum to see the thread still. I thought that was better than just a system that automatically deleted the thread entirely.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15945 posts
1349 upvotes
Thornhill
DOWNVOTES SHOULD NOT BE ANONYMOUS!

And FFS make it so that they must post a constructive reason why they are downvoting.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7352 posts
3494 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Let the down vote function remain. The hot deals section already gives a reason why the thread is down voted. It's up to the RFD member to look at the reason why. Bad products or services is a pretty good reason for a down vote, just like specific targeted deals such as the weekly offers on INDIVIDUAL PC Optimum accounts.

Also leave it anonymous because too many RFD members already act like a bunch of whiney children who like to hold grudges. Letting members know who down voted them will just lead to retaliation and trolling.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15173 posts
2088 upvotes
Toronto
I like that it's on threads only and not comments. I use to say something (or just give an idea) different from the rest of the group and all of a sudden I had -25 on my comment. THAT I take personally, yes.
Thumbs up on comments is nice, once in a while I go back to see what people liked.

In terms of threads, I don't mind it because it speaks to the "hotness" of the thread. However, I am disappointed when I'm trying to post something to let people know and it gets down voted. I think disappointed is the best word here.
Meanwhile, some of my bets work (IMO) doesn't get a thumbs up, so that sucks too.

I don't know, it is what it is. I contribute because I know it's for the greater good of RFD.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
1460 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
t3359 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 2:11 pm
DOWNVOTES SHOULD NOT BE ANONYMOUS!

And FFS make it so that they must post a constructive reason why they are downvoting.

bjl
+1

I don't really pay attention to votes, but just came to notice that a thread I started in the discussion section about BluRay had 2 up and 2 down. I can understand why people would thumb up or down deals, but to thumb down a discussion? I just don't understand the mentality. Strikes me as petty and childish.

Without a comment, there is no way to evaluate if there is reasonable dissent, or if it is just some vindictive crackpot who is on a power trip.

I can respect why things are anon - to avoid hostile personal flame wars.
With that said, would love to see thumbs as a user stat: keep a tab of how many + and - a user has deployed.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15945 posts
1349 upvotes
Thornhill
Once they decided that downvotes were to be anonymous, it stuck no matter how we complained. No one has convincingly told us why they chose for it to be this way. I feel it's useless to complain since they're going to stick with the decision for some undisclosed reason no matter how much we complain.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1606 posts
1137 upvotes
I think in large part downvotes are the expression of unhappy, frustrated and bitter individuals. Sometimes I look at other people's thread being downvoted and shake my head.
Gratification through materialism is a fruitless pursuit.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
1460 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 12:02 am
I think in large part downvotes are the expression of unhappy, frustrated and bitter individuals. Sometimes I look at other people's thread being downvoted and shake my head.
I've had some experience with consensus based organizations.
Basically, the thumbs down is treated very seriously, as in, it is not possible for me to move forward at all.
The idea being - you use it only when something is really important to you, with the goal being to see if further discussions can evoke some form of consensus.
Point being - it isn't thrown around lightly, which is what I suspect happens here fairly frequently.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1606 posts
1137 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 12:13 am
Point being - it isn't thrown around lightly, which is what I suspect happens here fairly frequently.
Yep, you are correct. It is unfortunate that the individual(s) responsible for managing this site are unable to realize that downvotes do not add anything positive to the discussions.
Gratification through materialism is a fruitless pursuit.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
1460 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 8:08 am
Yep, you are correct. It is unfortunate that the individual(s) responsible for managing this site are unable to realize that downvotes do not add anything positive to the discussions.
I wonder if things would improve if a third "middle ground" option were available. Something like a "meh" button. At the very least, some way to distinguish between "I disagree" and "stay away it:s a scam". Ideally, some way to distinguish between " this is not a deal" and "I do not believe in the product/service".