• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2019 7:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes

Dragon Quest XI vs Final Fantasy XV ?

Just curious on people's opinions on these games. I think that Redmask and Ascott are the resident RPG guys if I'm not mistaken. I hesitated between both. I haven't really played a Dragon Quest game since Dragon Warrior on the original NES and while I played almost every final fantasy game I haven't actually finished one since FF 7. Also DQ XI seems to be universally loved and acclaimed while FFXV seems to be reviled. Apparently you need to watch a movie and an anime just to understand the story. Seems a bit much to me. They are also coming out with more DLC for the game. I rarely ever go back to a game for DLC. Once I finish a game I tend to move on to something else. This goes for great games like Nier Automata, HZD, Spider-Man, etc...

I ended up going with DQ XI and I must say I am really enjoying it so far. The game is gorgeous and looks really sharp on the PS4 Pro. I am playing with Draconian Quest Stronger Monsters option enabled and I think that the difficulty is perfect. I come from old school where if a boss is too hard just level up some more lol so this is no problem for me. It was a common complaint in Ni No Kuni 2, the game had some extremely interesting mechanics that were rendered useless because the game was too easy. Same with DQXI, without stronger monsters there is no need to gear up or use the forge or any of the game's mechanics because everything dies so easily.

I think that Square Enix are at their best when they use 3rd party engine like the Unreal engine used for DQXI for example and at their worst when they are trying to develop their own engine which caused FFXV to be in development hell and now the FF7 remake as well. I do plan to pick up FFXV though, likely during the next time it's on sale and as a bonus I also picked up a copy of Dragon Quest Heroes II.

Back to playing DQ XI...
Last edited by Bryson on Dec 8th, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Dragon Quest XI is better than XV. The last great Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy 12. XV is average and I dislike the main character designs.

I would recommend watching Kingsglaive over playing FF15 even though it is a movie prequel to XV.

Persona 4 Golden & Persona 5 are the best recent JRPGs.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
Overall I'd say DQXI is better. It's a much tighter experience on pretty much every level. It's not nearly as ambitious as FFXV, but it's got this "warm blanket and a good well-loved book" sorta' vibe that's really easy to sink into. Make sure you play the "post" game stuff. I don't like some of the specific things they did with the narrative therein, but overall it's really cool. As an aside, I wish I'd chosen Draconian Difficulty for my play-through. By the time I realized the game wasn't just easing players in it was really too late to restart.

I'd still say FFXV is worth playing. Especially with the Royal Edition available. Almost all the places where FFXV stumbles are really down to it being really ambitious and not quite measuring up to its own ideas. That narrative is pretty damn messy, but a whole bunch of it was patched up with subsequent DLC. As far as outside stuff you'd want to see:
  • The Brotherhood anime is short and free on Youtube. It goes over some back story for each of the main party members and you'd definitely want to watch that since their chemistry is easily the games strongest narrative point.
  • Kingsglaive explains what happened immediately preceding the game, which the game doesn't cover very well. If you've ever seen FFVII Advent Children you can expect something similar - a real visual extravaganze underlined by a not so great story. You could honestly just read a plot synopsis for this one.
Aug 20, 2009
7131 posts
1833 upvotes
Grimsby
Dragon Quest XI is a much better game than FFXV. It's a huge, complete experience with great characters, just enough side activity to keep occupied without overwhelming and a good spin on classic gameplay. It's my favorite game of this year, surpassing RDR2 and other standouts. DQXI has a ton of nostalgia beats yet includes a lot of modern conveniences so that you're never really annoyed with it. It's a fantastic game that I can't say enough good about. One caveat is that the difficulty is very easy on normal, I suggest at least going with the "Enemies stop giving EXP when you outlevel them" thingie under the draconian difficulty settings.

FFXV is a really average game. The gameplay is ho-hum and doesn't feel very engaging. The camera controls are especially maddening. The story is yet another poorly explained affair that requires reading/watching a bunch of tertiary content to fully grasp. The open world is lifeless and boring, filled with copy/paste art and characters. The side content could've been fun if it hadn't been so damned repetitive and unfulfilling. I'm a huge FF nut and FFXV is an improvement on FFXIII trilogy disaster but still a large disappointment. Square really needs to get back to the basics with tighter schedules and actual budgets. It's always amazing to me how the Japanese side of the company can blow money and time like its going out of style but they consider games like Tomb Raider a disappointment.
Jul 7, 2005
532 posts
123 upvotes
DQXI all the way!! I've sunk 130hrs (I talk to everybody!) into it already and almost at the point where there is nothing else to do but take down the final boss!

This post game thing is new for DQXI?? Cuz I don't consider it post game at all, back in the day for those who know DQ this just means we're entering the final phase in the story!

They did made XI too easy they killed the tension in the game, the need to grind, use evac/chimera wings, flee in battle, holy bottles, holy protection, lugging around a casket when some died, gold penalty etc. lol I can go on and on....I kind of hoped they would've kept the good ole japanese difficulty, because those draconian quests are something else all together.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2731 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Oh man I need to get Dragon Quest XI - the nostalgia is kicking in!

I remember long long long time ago my father had bought me a copy of Dragon Warrior for NES as a Christmas gift. So many hours spent in front of the TV playing that game lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
The only other mainline Dragon Quest RPG game I played besides DQ XI is Dragon Quest VIII. If you like XI, VIII is also very good.

Dragon Quest VIII is on PS2 but the Nintendo 3DS remastered port adds new playable characters and an amusing alternate ending choice where you can choose to run off and marry Jessica instead
of Medea (as how the original game ended).

One aspect I don't like about Dragon Quest RPGs is that the main character is always a mute that doesn't
speak outright, and you only provide yes/no answers for him. Thus the supporting characters are the interesting ones that actually speak and show personality.

I would recommend Final Fantasy X HD Remastered.
It has a better story and one of the best video game soundtracks (there is an option to select the original music or the rearranged new one).
Jul 7, 2005
532 posts
123 upvotes
Then you sir are in for a treat!! I just finished it and the ending is every bit nostalgic!

I hope the rumors are true and they remake X into a standalone title.
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 8:47 pm

I remember long long long time ago my father had bought me a copy of Dragon Warrior for NES as a Christmas gift. So many hours spent in front of the TV playing that game lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
waitin4BOOST wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 2:33 pm
DQXI all the way!! I've sunk 130hrs (I talk to everybody!) into it already and almost at the point where there is nothing else to do but take down the final boss!

This post game thing is new for DQXI?? Cuz I don't consider it post game at all, back in the day for those who know DQ this just means we're entering the final phase in the story!

They did made XI too easy they killed the tension in the game, the need to grind, use evac/chimera wings, flee in battle, holy bottles, holy protection, lugging around a casket when some died, gold penalty etc. lol I can go on and on....I kind of hoped they would've kept the good ole japanese difficulty, because those draconian quests are something else all together.
Haha I'm with you friend, I talk to everyone and check every corner for treasures lmao! 90 hours in and loving every minute of it but I still haven't even finished the first act!

I cannot stress enough for anyone starting the game to play it with the Draconian quest "Stronger Monsters" enabled. It's two completely different games with it on. The tension is there and you actually have to use strategy and the game's mechanics. Without it you can just play through the whole game pressing X to auto-attack with your eyes closed even on bosses! It's just a shame that you only learn this several hours into the game for people like Ascott who don't want to restart after having invested 30 hours into the game. However 30 hours is not THAT much in an RPG of this size.

I just had some of the most satisfying boss fights I've had in a game in a long time! Maybe since Bloodborne! The Slayer of the Sands was a good challenge, the last opponents of the tournament in Octogania took me a couple of tries and the boss in Phnom nohn was a real doozy! The kind of fight that makes you scream or fist pump in real life for beating it! The fights are challenging but not frustrating mainly because there is always a save nearby, at least so far.

PRO TIP: You can pep up your Heroes before a Boss fight.
XFactor11 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 3:02 pm
Dragon Quest XI is better than XV. The last great Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy 12. XV is average and I dislike the main character designs.

I would recommend watching Kingsglaive over playing FF15 even though it is a movie prequel to XV.

Persona 4 Golden & Persona 5 are the best recent JRPGs.
Even if FF15 is average, the combat looks fun! You can change characters mid-combat now which you couldn't do when the game first launched! The game will be going on sale tomorrow on Xbox so I will be picking it up and checking it out.

With so many crappy games being remastered, it's a shame that masterpieces like Persona 3 and 4 golden have not made it to the current gen. The only way to play Golden is to buy a Vita or try to find a PSTV somewhere.

How would you rank the games in the Persona series?

Have you finished DQXI and FF15? I know that you play a lot of games so you must not get to finish a lot of them? Curious what were the last games you finished were?
XFactor11 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 9:34 pm
The only other mainline Dragon Quest RPG game I played besides DQ XI is Dragon Quest VIII. If you like XI, VIII is also very good.

Dragon Quest VIII is on PS2 but the Nintendo 3DS remastered port adds new playable characters and an amusing alternate ending choice where you can choose to run off and marry Jessica instead
of Medea (as how the original game ended).

One aspect I don't like about Dragon Quest RPGs is that the main character is always a mute that doesn't
speak outright, and you only provide yes/no answers for him. Thus the supporting characters are the interesting ones that actually speak and show personality.

I would recommend Final Fantasy X HD Remastered.
It has a better story and one of the best video game soundtracks (there is an option to select the original music or the rearranged new one).
Thanks for the heads up on DQ VIII. I agree it's a shame that the main character is mute in this game because the rest of the voice actors are exquisitely well done which is surprising given that japanese don't even get voiced dialogue at all. Some of the best voice acting I've heard in an RPG in awhile and Sylvando is quite the character lol. One of the best characters ever! Giving a voice to the main hero would have given him so much more personality and emotion!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Ranking from best to worst:
Final Fantasy X HD Remastered (PS4) > Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita, PS2) > Persona 5 (PS4) > Persona 3 (PS2) > Dragon Quest 11 (not finished yet, PS4) > Tales of Berseria (PS4) > Dragon Quest VIII (3DS, PS2) > Final Fantasy XV (not finished yet, PS4) > Ni No Kuni II (- weakest story and characters out of all the RPGs mentioned here, not finished yet)

Right now I am playing through both versions of Red Dead Redemption 2 mostly.
I have not finished Spider-man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, or gotten anywhere significant in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I also pick up and play Nintendo Switch games in portable mode for shorter sessions or when multitasking while watching sports/news/tv gameshows.
I usually work 50+ hours a week therefore I often watch a movie if I am tired since it is passive entertainment that does not require any exertion on my part.
Bryson wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 3:41 pm
Haha I'm with you friend, I talk to everyone and check every corner for treasures lmao! 90 hours in and loving every minute of it but I still haven't even finished the first act!

I cannot stress enough for anyone starting the game to play it with the Draconian quest "Stronger Monsters" enabled. It's two completely different games with it on. The tension is there and you actually have to use strategy and the game's mechanics. Without it you can just play through the whole game pressing X to auto-attack with your eyes closed even on bosses! It's just a shame that you only learn this several hours into the game for people like Ascott who don't want to restart after having invested 30 hours into the game. However 30 hours is not THAT much in an RPG of this size.

I just had some of the most satisfying boss fights I've had in a game in a long time! Maybe since Bloodborne! The Slayer of the Sands was a good challenge, the last opponents of the tournament in Octogania took me a couple of tries and the boss in Phnom nohn was a real doozy! The kind of fight that makes you scream or fist pump in real life for beating it! The fights are challenging but not frustrating mainly because there is always a save nearby, at least so far.

PRO TIP: You can pep up your Heroes before a Boss fight.

Even if FF15 is average, the combat looks fun! You can change characters mid-combat now which you couldn't do when the game first launched! The game will be going on sale tomorrow on Xbox so I will be picking it up and checking it out.

With so many crappy games being remastered, it's a shame that masterpieces like Persona 3 and 4 golden have not made it to the current gen. The only way to play Golden is to buy a Vita or try to find a PSTV somewhere.

How would you rank the games in the Persona series?

Have you finished DQXI and FF15? I know that you play a lot of games so you must not get to finish a lot of them? Curious what were the last games you finished were?

Thanks for the heads up on DQ VIII. I agree it's a shame that the main character is mute in this game because the rest of the voice actors are exquisitely well done which is surprising given that japanese don't even get voiced dialogue at all. Some of the best voice acting I've heard in an RPG in awhile and Sylvando is quite the character lol. One of the best characters ever! Giving a voice to the main hero would have given him so much more personality and emotion!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
I just watched Kingsglaive! Wow I loved it!
Jul 7, 2005
532 posts
123 upvotes
Now you have to watch the 5 episode anime Brotherhood before you start the game lol

I enjoyed FFXV, it was a pleasant refresh from (as Redmask mentioned) the disastrous XIII-1, 2 & 3...well the first XIII I tolerated because it was something new, second took considerably more effort but I finished it, third is caked in dust. I don't know who in the right mind in SE approved these games, maybe they were trying to recoup the cost of building their luminous engine? It was a crappy time for SE, fancy tech demos, ambition, then turned vaporware...

I didn't mind the story in FFXV....it reminded me of a movie back in the 80's and a song by Ben E King....except with a fancy car and chocobos!

Persona games can suck a lot of time out of you also with the sim aspect of the game, find a PS2 emulator and make sure you get FES ver for P3, I remember someone had compiled a copy with english translations.

Edit: Or grab it on PSN for $10 (P3 FES/P4) but if you want JP voices I think the only route is via ISO
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
I actually thought XIII-2 fixed a lot of what XIII did wrong. It was much less linear and you didn't need an external encyclopedia to understand what was happening. And the combat worked better because of the increased difficulty combined with the more limited paradigm combinations from the monster taming. Still only a 7/10, but it was better.

Lightning Returns is a mess though. I could barely follow what was happening and the designers seriously didn't understand how the time system should work. Look at a game like Majora's Mask for example - the side quests regularly require you to be in a specific place at a specific time, but none of the main quest stuff is gated like that. You run into main quest objectives you can only do at specific times of day all the time in LR due to gates closing, NPC's moving, etc. The combat system and class building parts were pretty cool though - I'm totally on board with those being reused in the future.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
waitin4BOOST wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 10:03 am
Now you have to watch the 5 episode anime Brotherhood before you start the game lol

I enjoyed FFXV, it was a pleasant refresh from (as Redmask mentioned) the disastrous XIII-1, 2 & 3...well the first XIII I tolerated because it was something new, second took considerably more effort but I finished it, third is caked in dust. I don't know who in the right mind in SE approved these games, maybe they were trying to recoup the cost of building their luminous engine? It was a crappy time for SE, fancy tech demos, ambition, then turned vaporware...

I didn't mind the story in FFXV....it reminded me of a movie back in the 80's and a song by Ben E King....except with a fancy car and chocobos!

Persona games can suck a lot of time out of you also with the sim aspect of the game, find a PS2 emulator and make sure you get FES ver for P3, I remember someone had compiled a copy with english translations.

Edit: Or grab it on PSN for $10 (P3 FES/P4) but if you want JP voices I think the only route is via ISO
Persona 3 FES is one of the best games I ever played. Easily one of the best RPGs. Would love to get lost on a deserted island and just play the entire Persona series lol. Played P3 FES on PCSX2.The beauty of emulators is that you can really crank up the resolution on that sucker so it looks almost like a remaster. People have been playing Shadow of the Colussus at 4K long before the remaster was released for example.

I did watch the 5 episode anime of FFXV. The only thing left is to play the game! XD I am disappointed to hear that they cancelled the planned story DLC, I hope the story doesn't end in some kind of cliffhanger or something. Downloading FFXV now as we speak.

Anyone play FFXV pocket edition? Is it any good?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2731 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 8:47 pm

Further to my post above, I bought it!

For anyone else looking for Dragon Quest XI for PS4, it is for sale at EB Games and Best Buy for $54.99.

Now I just need to set aside 82348283482348 hours to play this game.