[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1130 posts
309 upvotes
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 9:57 pm
Further to my post above, I bought it!

For anyone else looking for Dragon Quest XI for PS4, it is for sale at EB Games and Best Buy for $54.99.

Now I just need to set aside 82348283482348 hours to play this game.
Nice I am sure that will be 82348283482348 hours well spent! Let us know how it goes!

Heads up, Dragon Quest XI will be on sale at the playstation store starting tomorrow as part of a flash sale for anyone interested in pickling it up.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2545 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
So far I'm liking the game a lot. Even some of the music reminds me of NES Dragon Warrior.

I don't know how far I am, but I'm currently picking up an orb in some snowy region, been playing for more than 20 hours so far!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1130 posts
309 upvotes
I beat the first Act in Dragon Quest XI and the story was just getting good! Unfortunately I had to put it down for a bit as I picked up Final Fantasy XV and much to my chagrin I must admit I am really enjoying it. Watching the Kingsglaive and Brotherhood anime beforehand really helped get me inmmersed in the universe and characters. Between these two I have atleast another 100 hours of RPG goodness lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2545 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
I finished the main quest!

It was an excellent game. I have yet to complete most of the side quests which I hope to get into.

I don't think I've read so much text since I was in university!

I haven't played that many RPG's on the PS4 but I enjoyed marginally better than Horizon Zero Dawn. If anyone is on the fence about buying DQ XI, I would highly recommend it!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6839 posts
1770 upvotes
Speaking of which, there is a free PS4 Dragon Quest XI static theme (non-moving backgrounds) up on the PSN store added recently.
It has two different backgrounds, unique icons, but no unique music or sounds.

Free static PS4 Dragon Quest XI theme:
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/pro ... SYSTHEME11

And a free set of avatars:
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/pro ... ATARPACK01

Free axe weapon for magic users (this one requires PS+ to get for free):
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/pro ... SENTITEM17

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1552 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
I'm 70 hrs into dq11 and will likely be finishing it up soon.... Great game...

I played ff15 when it came out... It was a decent game.. but the story etc. Was really convoluted.

Dq11 doesn't quite gave as ambitious a story.. it's more light hearted but it's well executed for what it is..

I wish they would remake ff6 using a dq11 like engine... I know they are remaking ff7.. but I really liked dq11's battle system.. ff15 kinda went nuts...

I think ff15 had the potential to be a great game but it lacked cohesiveness... Dq11 is a great game..
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2545 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 5:15 pm

It was an excellent game. I have yet to complete most of the side quests which I hope to get into.

I haven't played that many RPG's on the PS4 but I enjoyed marginally better than Horizon Zero Dawn. If anyone is on the fence about buying DQ XI, I would highly recommend it!
Further to my reply above, this game is insane.

Without spoiling anything, I thought I was finished, however clearly that's not the case.

The story line is actually quite good - I'm looking forward to see how all this pans out.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1764 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how is Tales of Berseria compared to Dragon Quest 11 and Final Fantasy 15? Tales is on sale for $20 on PSN.

I've been wanting to play a JRPG since I completed Persona 5 last year.

My recent JRPG history:

JRPGs that I enjoyed over the past few years: Final Fantasy 13-2, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13, Bravely Default, Ni No Kuni and of course Persona 5
JRPGs that I completed but I felt indifferent: Final Fantasy 13, I am Setsuna
JRPGs that I couldn't get into and did not complete: Final Fantasy 10 HD, Final Fantasy Type 0 HD, Tales of Graces f, Octopath Traveler
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2360 posts
730 upvotes
I'll be honest, I'm disappointed in both games and JRPGs in general this generation. FF XV was clearly a hack job that suffered from developer churn and hell. The story is incredibly fragmented and requires watching both Kingsglaive and Brotherhood to understand. The main love arc is laughable (they're a great eternal love because ....REASONS!) and the call back to FF VII is so forced I almost turned the game off in disgust. Combat and character development is more enjoyable in FF XV than DQ XI, but that's not a high bar.

I was really looking forward to DQ XI, but was let down. Combat is trivial. The world is your typical RPG tropes and the story was a yawn. While the world looks large and lush, it feels hollow. The overwhelming feeling I had playing the game was that this is stale. Perhaps my expectations were too high--I had just come off finishing Persona 5 when I started DQ XI--but I expected more from what is supposed to be such a legendary franchise.

My experience is that most JRPGs have been a giant bust on this generation of consoles. NNKII was trivially easy with a story more naive than any Disney or Ghibli film. Octopath Traveller was a narrative disjointed mess and tedious (Go to village. Do quest. Do character action. Kill boss. Grind. Repeat). Ys, was doing its thing, so I guess it's hard to fault it there. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a slog in the first 25% that mechanically becomes trivial once you unlock a certain Blade for the main character. I already commented on FFXV and DQ XI.

If it wasn't for Persona 5 and Berseria, I would say this generation of JRPGs was a huge let down for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1130 posts
309 upvotes
marcsterr wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 5:15 pm

Damn son! You really plowed through this game! I knew you were moving fast when you said you were already at the snow village after only a couple of days! Glad to see you're having fun!
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 4:30 pm
Speaking of which, there is a free PS4 Dragon Quest XI static theme (non-moving backgrounds) up on the PSN store added recently.
It has two different backgrounds, unique icons, but no unique music or sounds.
Thanks for sharing XFactor! I was rocking the Spider-Man theme but I will switch to this one asap!
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 9:05 am
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how is Tales of Berseria compared to Dragon Quest 11 and Final Fantasy 15? Tales is on sale for $20 on PSN.

I've been wanting to play a JRPG since I completed Persona 5 last year.

My recent JRPG history:

JRPGs that I enjoyed over the past few years: Final Fantasy 13-2, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13, Bravely Default, Ni No Kuni and of course Persona 5
JRPGs that I completed but I felt indifferent: Final Fantasy 13, I am Setsuna
JRPGs that I couldn't get into and did not complete: Final Fantasy 10 HD, Final Fantasy Type 0 HD, Tales of Graces f, Octopath Traveler
I'm no JRPG expert by any stretch. DQXI is just a really good game. If I had to choose only one it would be that one. That being said, I'm completely hooked on FFXV. The story is not that complicated to understand so far and watching the movies first is highly advisable, the combat is fun and the Ascension tree is pretty easy to figure out so overall I'd say this is one of the more accessible FF games to just chill out and play. One thing that really brought the game down for me is for a completionist like me there are sooo many mundane sidequests and I am no stranger to "grinding" in games. They are completely optional so probably best left for end game as to not break up the pace of the story. It's the same issue I had with Nier Automata. Such an amazing game, brought down by so many pointless sidequests. Again if you're not going for the platinum then this is probably not an issue but I'd rather play a really good 20 hour game than a boring 100 hour game. There's a review of FFXV on youtube with the thumbnail "How to love an awful game" pretty much sums up how I feel. The game could have been so much more but if you just play games to have fun then there is definitely fun to be had.

I played 20 hours of Tales of Symphonia on the gamecube and vowed never to touch another Tales game again but that Tales of Vesperia remaster looks really dope.
Aug 20, 2009
6841 posts
1549 upvotes
Grimsby
This is a long video about why FFXV is a mediocre disappointment. I was bored one night and watched the whole thing, author perfectly encapsulated my feelings about the game. Even just watching 5-10mins gives you the gist though.

DQXI to me was perfectly executed but there is nowhere left for the franchise to go now. I don't see how they improve on that formula without going back to the drawing board.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1552 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Just finished dq11... 78 hours lol..

Great game...

The game really reminded me alot of the classic 16 bit SNES era/style JRPGS.. like FF6 and Chrono Trigger. It was also was extremely nostalgic for someone who played DQ1 on NES back in the day.

This is the first 3d/hd JRPG that really hit home with respect to feeling as good as those great snes RPGs whilst having amazing graphics/visuals/voice acting... etc.

The story for this game was "OK"... it got better as it went on.. but it wasn't anything as epic as FF6 or Chrono Trigger...

The characters were great though....

I really wish the remake of FF7 kept FF7's original battlesystem etc. in the same way DQ11 is still turn based..

DQ11 really reminds me of Chrono Trigger with the combo pep abilities, seeing enemies on screen ( instead of random encounters) and being able to move around during battle (though I mostly had this off since it has no effect)..

I would love to see them remake Chrono Trigger in a similar way to DQ11 but keeping Chrono Trigger's story etc. totally intact...
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1552 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:33 am
Damn son! You really plowed through this game! I knew you were moving fast when you said you were already at the snow village after only a couple of days! Glad to see you're having fun!

Thanks for sharing XFactor! I was rocking the Spider-Man theme but I will switch to this one asap!

I'm no JRPG expert by any stretch. DQXI is just a really good game. If I had to choose only one it would be that one. That being said, I'm completely hooked on FFXV. The story is not that complicated to understand so far and watching the movies first is highly advisable, the combat is fun and the Ascension tree is pretty easy to figure out so overall I'd say this is one of the more accessible FF games to just chill out and play. One thing that really brought the game down for me is for a completionist like me there are sooo many mundane sidequests and I am no stranger to "grinding" in games. They are completely optional so probably best left for end game as to not break up the pace of the story. It's the same issue I had with Nier Automata. Such an amazing game, brought down by so many pointless sidequests. Again if you're not going for the platinum then this is probably not an issue but I'd rather play a really good 20 hour game than a boring 100 hour game. There's a review of FFXV on youtube with the thumbnail "How to love an awful game" pretty much sums up how I feel. The game could have been so much more but if you just play games to have fun then there is definitely fun to be had.

I played 20 hours of Tales of Symphonia on the gamecube and vowed never to touch another Tales game again but that Tales of Vesperia remaster looks really dope.
FF15 was by no means a "horrible game"... It had a lot of good things going for it.. It mostly just felt like it was unfinished or unorganized... I know it was in dev for soo long but it just felt like all the pieces were there to make a great game, but they just weren't put together properly or some pieces were missing.

The game itself was decent (i.e. mechanics graphics, systems etc)...

I think I like the more traditional turn based battle system in DQ 11 better than the "modernized" FF15... but what they did in FF15 wasn't bad either.. its just not what I wanted in an FF game..
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3404 posts
546 upvotes
It looks like I am in the minority here but after thinking about it for a while, I think Final Fantasy 15 is the better game of the 2.

Dragon Quest 11 was a really fun game, I probably just finished it about a month ago and still have a couple of mini quests left that I won't re-visit it for. In total, I probably put around 100 hours into it. This game is old school nostalgia as it reminded me of the glorious Super Nintendo days of Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. The story is engaging and it was easy to pick up and play right away, you didn't have to spend countless hours figuring out things.

Final Fantasy 15 takes a while to figure out the mechanics and story of the game. At first I wasn't really fond of the character designs, to me they reminded me of a rock group touring around the country. It takes quite a few hours to fully grasp what's going on in the story but that could be a good or bad thing. You don't need to watch Kings Glaive prior to playing the game but it helps with the backstory.

To me, this game was a more intimate experience for me since there were only 4 characters. They fight with each other, annoy each other but at the end of the day, they had each other's backs. As the story unfolds, rather than feeling like 4 guys setting out to save the world, it felt like a brotherhood. This is due to the realism of the graphics and voice acting as I could imagine seeing guys like this in real life. The game itself felt more epic and grand to me, these are 4 realistic looking guys as opposed to cartoonish characters.

I was shocked at what happened to Ignis after the Leviathan fight, I felt the pain of the party. It was nice seeing Noctis mature from a spoiled prince to embrace what he was meant to be at the end.

The antagonist, Ardyn, was an interesting character, you never knew where he truly stood until the end. His backstory didn't make me hate him but pitied him.

With all that said about FF15, the 2nd act seemed rushed, once you start it, it doesn't allow you to explore the world anymore. It would've been nice to explore the new world rather than being rushed into a chain of events that inevitably leads to the final showdown. At times, I would've preferred the turn based fighting style as opposed to this free flowing style. The other thing is I wished Cor Leonis was a bigger part of the game as I thought he was an awesome character.

At the end of the day, to me, a great role playing is how memorable the story is to me years down the line. It's been over 2 years and I still remember Noctis and party. The same can't be said about any of the Dragon Quest games for me. I played Dragon Quest heroes last year as well and can barely remember the story let alone the characters. I read somewhere that Dragon Quest 11 is the precursor to all the other Dragon Quest games which is amazing how they are all linked together.

Either way, you can't go wrong with either game.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Updated December 2018
Jul 7, 2005
493 posts
106 upvotes
The (true) ending links DQXI to DQI - IV, seeing Erdwin's gear is almost a dead giveaway of the connection....but the final ending confirms it. But I guess you can only make the connection if you've been immersed in the series from the start with the magazines, box-art, manual, provided maps and strategy guides (who remembers those?! lol) from back in the day. For anyone picking up for emulator wouldn't see what those objects looked like as there are no gfx of the items in game.

The DQ franchise has always been created to appease/cater to their fans, the stubbornness to deviate from tradition; the jp versions of VIII & XI do not have VA or fancy backgrounds for menu/text bubbles, only VII on PSX stayed true to it's roots when coming to the west. I would say DQ fans are insanely loyal to the franchise because of how it has been unchanging for 30+ years, unlike many other series (FF, Tales) constantly adjusting and experimenting with the plot/game mechanics.

I would say for anyone who enjoyed games from the golden age of NES/SNES JRPGS in the late 80's - 90's, I think will find some nostalgia/entertainment in DQXI. But for those looking to find the next ground breaking super intuitive game mechanics or never before seen ultra engaging blow your mind clever plot....then DQ is not for you lol

Sadly, I don't think the possibility of remaking Chrono Trigger will ever happen, there were too many awesome people involved in making that legendary game lol That game is the only evidence of what Square Soft & ENIX should have become but never did. It was nice seeing the good old dual/triple tech system in DQXI!!