• Jul 19th, 2017 10:52 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4307 posts
194 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:30 pm
Please be more specific. I'm thinking you mean that even if weight can be lost, the side effects of coffee intake are not worth the bother.
Okay, what I mean is...

Weight loss is driven by energy balance. The most significant way to set up a calorie deficit is via controlling your dietary intake (i.e. Eating less). Next would be NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) IMO. So when someone wants to lose weight, controlling their intake is going to have a much more significant impact vs minutiae like drinking coffee. Adding coffee might help a tiny bit, but it's not going to be significant. Most people can't handle eating in a consistent deficit so they should focus on that vs thinking 'hmmm what can I do to lose weight? I know, drinking coffee will help!'

Hope that makes sense and add more to my shorter reply above.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10728 posts
1408 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 7:02 pm
Okay, what I mean is...

Weight loss is driven by energy balance. The most significant way to set up a calorie deficit is via controlling your dietary intake (i.e. Eating less). Next would be NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) IMO. So when someone wants to lose weight, controlling their intake is going to have a much more significant impact vs minutiae like drinking coffee. Adding coffee might help a tiny bit, but it's not going to be significant. Most people can't handle eating in a consistent deficit so they should focus on that vs thinking 'hmmm what can I do to lose weight? I know, drinking coffee will help!'

Hope that makes sense and add more to my shorter reply above.
Now more than ever it sounds like drinking more coffee is brilliant, but drinking more water might work just as well.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4307 posts
194 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 5:45 pm
Now more than ever it sounds like drinking more coffee is brilliant, but drinking more water might work just as well.
Drinking coffee isn't going to be a brilliant weight loss aide, but it often tastes better than water. Drink what you prefer ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10703 posts
1437 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Vietnamese coffee, with sweetened condensed milk, is empty calories.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3758 posts
390 upvotes
Thornhill
Coffee increases energy, has appetite suppressant ability for some. If used properly with other supplements it can help, but not on its own.
Quite a lot of people notice how their bowel movement improve after they drink coffee(there are other supplements and food that works similarly though), that's one of the way it speeds up metabolism a little bit. I am one of those people,but I don't drink much coffee as I don't enjoy the taste. It works similarly on a few of my friends.

If you want to lose weight, start eating less sugar and control your portions. That's it. There's no magic to it. No need to go to a gym, which may even cause you to gain weight as your body will require you to crave for more calories and not many know how to calculate calories. Drinking more water is also essential as it fills you up.

A lot of people can benefit(weight loss) by perhaps having a protein drink in the morning instead of a breakfast. That's why there are a lot of diets based on protein powders. Proper intake is the key, again.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1599 posts
247 upvotes
Scarborough
georgesears wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 5:15 pm
I lost a lot of weight by cutting out sugar and cream for my coffee. It took me a while to get used to it but I like my coffee black now.
Once you go black you don't go back!

I transitioned several years ago from double double to black and have never gone back. I've on occasion tried with creme and sugar but couldn't bring myself to enjoy.

Only time i'd get coffee with creme or sugar is when it's a specialty drink.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1387 posts
468 upvotes
jono454 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 10:27 am
Once you go black you don't go back!

I transitioned several years ago from double double to black and have never gone back. I've on occasion tried with creme and sugar but couldn't bring myself to enjoy.

Only time i'd get coffee with creme or sugar is when it's a specialty drink.
you don't have any sweeter or nothing?

I could never drink black coffee plain, I prefer black over with cream but I need sweetener/sugar
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1599 posts
247 upvotes
Scarborough
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 4:10 pm
you don't have any sweeter or nothing?

I could never drink black coffee plain, I prefer black over with cream but I need sweetener/sugar
Nope, just plain black.

It does take time to get use to though. I had a coworker who wanted to lose weight so i forced him to drink black coffee for a few weeks and now he only drinks black.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1387 posts
468 upvotes
jono454 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 9:53 pm
Nope, just plain black.

It does take time to get use to though. I had a coworker who wanted to lose weight so i forced him to drink black coffee for a few weeks and now he only drinks black.
sweetener has 0 calories, well technically Splenda has a couple but it's going to probably be burned when digesting the coffee anyways so it's really just 0 calories

I used to drink coffee without sweetener but it was more expensive stuff, can't do it with mcdonalds, maybe Tim Hortons