None
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1706 posts
176 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Drive Belt

Hi there,
Just wondering do "drive belts" usually crack? Brought my car in to get the breaks replaced, and the guy said my drive belt is cracked...is this a common occurrence?
Btw, it's a Nissan rogue

Thanks
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
78 upvotes
Many people refer to the serpentine belt (for alternator, water pump, power steering, AC etc) as a "drive" belt.

Yes, these belts do crack and become noisy over time, however, it's not typically an expensive part to buy or have installed, but the cost goes up if you have to replace a tensioner or other components.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
frankyflwrs wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 7:34 pm
Hi there,
Just wondering do "drive belts" usually crack? Brought my car in to get the breaks replaced, and the guy said my drive belt is cracked...is this a common occurrence?
Btw, it's a Nissan rogue

Thanks

well how old is your car?
when belts have crack its time to replace.
possible reasons, premature failure.
belts are afraid of oil. was there an oil spill?
make sure the belt is not too tight, you should be able to depress the belt and get about 5 mm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
It is called a serpentine belt and the belt drives the accessories on your car (alternator, air conditioner compressor etc). Yes, they can crack and chunks can fall off. They should be checked and replaced periodically. I would say that as a rule, they should last 4 maybe 5 years. yes, some folks have had them on for 10 years and yes others have changed them annually.
http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/inspection
The belts start to crack almost immediately and that is not a problem. When they start to throw chunks, you need to replace it. So, how old is the car?
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1565 posts
130 upvotes
5cm is a bit much... I would say 3cm

Drive belts could be either serpentine (thick belt with up/down ridges) or V-belts
cost under $20, and to replace you usually loosen the tension using the tensioner (either a bolt or putting socket rachet into it and turning)
depending on your engine orientation, it might be a 30-40 minute job, or as simple as a 5 minute job.
Once you are missing chunks, thats the time to replace (the serpentine belt)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1706 posts
176 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 9:14 pm
It is called a serpentine belt and the belt drives the accessories on your car (alternator, air conditioner compressor etc). Yes, they can crack and chunks can fall off. They should be checked and replaced periodically. I would say that as a rule, they should last 4 maybe 5 years. yes, some folks have had them on for 10 years and yes others have changed them annually.
http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/inspection
The belts start to crack almost immediately and that is not a problem. When they start to throw chunks, you need to replace it. So, how old is the car?

The car is a 2008 Rogue...the mechanic said "your drive belt is cracked"...he didn't say I needed to replace it....maybe he was waiting for me to say "replace it"...mind game maybe?

He's charging me $100 flat to replace.
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24851 posts
2446 upvotes
Ottawa
frankyflwrs wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 9:42 pm
The car is a 2008 Rogue...the mechanic said "your drive belt is cracked"...he didn't say I needed to replace it....maybe he was waiting for me to say "replace it"...mind game maybe?

He's charging me $100 flat to replace.
Well. saying it is cracked is stating the obvious. They all crack almost right away. if he did not try to sell you athe ob then he probably realized that it is not time to replace it yet.
$100 to change is about right from a dealer. The belt is 35 to $45 (depending on your engine type) and it takes a good tech 15 minutes but they will charge 1/2 hr @$90 per hr and then tax. You can get it cheaper elsewhere later when you really need one.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6518 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 10:26 pm
Well. saying it is cracked is stating the obvious. They all crack almost right away. if he did not try to sell you athe ob then he probably realized that it is not time to replace it yet.
$100 to change is about right from a dealer. The belt is 35 to $45 (depending on your engine type) and it takes a good tech 15 minutes but they will charge 1/2 hr @$90 per hr and then tax. You can get it cheaper elsewhere later when you really need one.

Agree. It's a fair price.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15169 posts
758 upvotes
Woodbridge
My father also has an '08 Rogue SL, I will keep and eye on it.

DIY is easy depending how easy to get access to it. My last & current Coupe, I will pay the $100 and save the PITA, let Nissan do change the Belt for me.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1565 posts
130 upvotes
if by cracked he means cracked width wise, thats normal, length wise cracks = BAD

35-45 for serpentine belt?
its 10 bucks at rockauto for a serpentine belt for a rogue, and so I am guessing 20-25 from partsource (I don't think any drive belts cost over 30 bucks from partsource)

if the belt is in front of the car, a good tech can do it in 5 minutes (like I mean you only need to pull it off 1 pulley and it gets so loose you take it off.

since your car is 08, probably manufacture year 07, so its 2011, so will be 4 years sometime this year. Unless you notice something bad, find a good deal on a belt and I think diy, I would do it for $40 + cost of parts if you were in edmonton
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
× < >