Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7214 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
Sievert wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 6:02 pm
Wouldn't the easiest thing for him to do is just not drive up the lane, either for a while or for ever? Why would he continue to drive up the lane?
Does he think this is a game? He will lose in the end. If the city prosecutes/fines him, he loses. If the residents have to stop him, he loses.
He either stops dumping garbage in our lane and risks being prosecuted with the evidence that we already have. Or he continues dumping garbage and then either we get more evidence or we get more intel on where he works/lives and take some action. His best option is to disappear and hope we lose interest.
Maybe he's trying to project the image that he did nothing wrong, so a few drives w/o dumping anything, now that he suspects ppl are onto him (w/ him hoping no real evidence has been recorded as yet) lol. Who knows?

Actually, is that driveway a convenient shortcut or something? It's really strange and annoying that he chooses to cut through it (esp since it appears to be kinda a private roadway), dumping garbage or not. What a weirdo.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15111 posts
1096 upvotes
Thornhill
Turn the camera up the alleyway - maybe he lives near by and has a garage in that lane way.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1038 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
t3359 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 7:42 pm
Turn the camera up the alleyway - maybe he lives near by and has a garage in that lane way.

bjl
He definitely does not live on this block. I will install another camera facing the other way over the weekend.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3804 posts
2413 upvotes
GTA
Sievert wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 6:02 pm
Wouldn't the easiest thing for him to do is just not drive up the lane, either for a while or for ever? Why would he continue to drive up the lane?
Does he think this is a game? He will lose in the end. If the city prosecutes/fines him, he loses. If the residents have to stop him, he loses.
He either stops dumping garbage in our lane and risks being prosecuted with the evidence that we already have. Or he continues dumping garbage and then either we get more evidence or we get more intel on where he works/lives and take some action. His best option is to disappear and hope we lose interest.
The guy is not right in the head. You won't be able to find reason in anything he does. How old is the guy? Can you show us on google maps where the alley is?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2644 posts
1376 upvotes
Markham
Sievert wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 8:41 pm
He definitely does not live on this block. I will install another camera facing the other way over the weekend.
If I were you I would stake out the lane in a car whit in a reasonable time and as soon as he approaches block the lane, and then approach him and ask him an honest question as to why he has been dumping garbage on the road and proceed with showing him the videos of catching him in the act.

I guarantee you if you shame him like this, it might actually not only stop this happening to you, it might stop him from doing this altogether!

Btw, is this a private lane? Don't you have bylaws against driving thru private lanes in your city?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3804 posts
2413 upvotes
GTA
X24Secret wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:27 pm
If I were you I would stake out the lane in a car whit in a reasonable time and as soon as he approaches block the lane, and then approach him and ask him an honest question as to why he has been dumping garbage on the road and proceed with showing him the videos of catching him in the act.

I guarantee you if you shame him like this, it might actually not only stop this happening to you, it might stop him from doing this altogether!

Btw, is this a private lane? Don't you have bylaws against driving thru private lanes in your city?
Or he might attack and injure/kill the OP. Confronting this lunatic is not worth the risk.

No a private lane, just an alley way behind the houses. Very common in Toronto.

OP, how are you so sure he doesn't live on the alley or very near? Doesn't make sense for him to take that route unless he thinks it's more secluded for dumping, but why would he go when he doesn't dump? Maybe he was scouting to see if the city work was there again?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2644 posts
1376 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:47 pm
Or he might attack and injure/kill the OP. Confronting this lunatic is not worth the risk.

OP, how are you so sure he doesn't live on the alley or very near? Doesn't make sense for him to take that route unless he thinks it's more secluded for dumping, but why would he go when he doesn't dump? Maybe he was scouting to see if the city work was there again?
The alley way could very well be private road, it depends on the subdivision plan.

Why assume the worst? The guy seems to have some form of mobility challenge and based on that last cam footage he seems to have the sense to pull over to allow a passing car so I don't think he is a crazed lunatic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1038 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
engineered wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:47 pm
I'm not scared of him in the least. He appears to be in his sixties and the only way he stands a chance in a physical confrontation with me is if he has a gun. Although his behaviour is infuriating and I think he deserves punishment, I have no intention of physically assaulting him.
I am curious to know what makes him think it's ok to dump garbage in public like that and I'm also curious as to why he's consistently doing it in this specific lane but I doubt I'd get a satisfying answer from him.
I'm in Vancouver, but I thought this was common everywhere. What do houses in other cities have on their back side? Not a lane/alley?
He might live nearby but I'd be very surprised to learn that he lives on my block. I know almost everyone on my side of the block and have at least seen most of the people who live on the other side of the lane. If he lived in one of the houses on either side of the lane, I'd expect to see his car at some point other than only between 08:30 and 09:30 am.

A few days ago, one of the neighbours from across the lane came over to tell me he thinks someone is dumping garbage in the lane. I showed him the videos and told him I'm on the case. If the garbage dumping starts up again and I don't get satisfaction from the city, I may show the videos to the other neighbours and get everybody riled up.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3804 posts
2413 upvotes
GTA
Sievert wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 1:48 am
I'm in Vancouver, but I thought this was common everywhere. What do houses in other cities have on their back side? Not a lane/alley?
Most houses do not have an alley way behind like yours. Typically the garage is in the front and you share a fence with the neighbour behind.
Aug 4, 2006
288 posts
80 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
OP thanks for the update.

Maybe he is just in a habit to use this laneway. Maybe it's a shortcut. Maybe he got the message and is tossing it somewhere else (like in a trash can).

Good work. I'm pretty sure you resolved this issue. Maybe not to your complete satisfaction but word is out that the "neighbourhood watch" is watching.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15111 posts
1096 upvotes
Thornhill
OP, you happen to see what was in the bag? Something innocent like Chinese take out? Or three used prophylactics, a rubber ball gag mask, a Smurfs DVD, and a can of salmon?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1038 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
2flags wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 2:31 pm
OP thanks for the update.

Maybe he is just in a habit to use this laneway. Maybe it's a shortcut. Maybe he got the message and is tossing it somewhere else (like in a trash can).

Good work. I'm pretty sure you resolved this issue. Maybe not to your complete satisfaction but word is out that the "neighbourhood watch" is watching.
He drove up the lane again this morning. My neighbour was waiting for him with a camera that had a lens that looked powerful enough to see the guy's DNA. Unfortunately, he did not throw a bag.
The neighbour has a Mavic drone, which would be awesome to use to track this guy, but we live too close to the airport and it is illegal to fly drones here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1038 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
t3359 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 2:59 pm
OP, you happen to see what was in the bag? Something innocent like Chinese take out? Or three used prophylactics, a rubber ball gag mask, a Smurfs DVD, and a can of salmon?

bjl
It's mostly regular garbage. Food leftovers, packaging, some notes (in Russian), a Shaw bill (which is how we got his account number), a pair of pants once, etc...
Jul 11, 2011
791 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
Sievert wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 3:42 pm
It's mostly regular garbage. Food leftovers, packaging, some notes (in Russian), a Shaw bill (which is how we got his account number), a pair of pants once, etc...
...what size? I'm looking for something in a 34x34

...hebs Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)