• Dec 14th, 2005 8:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
bionicbadger wrote:Is your sister's friend hot?
my guess is that she isnt, or he would have paid up already ;)

based on my experience

1. there is no such thing as absolute forgiveness. Sure your insurance dealer can guarantee that your rates wont go up on the first claim (even if you have 10+ yrs of claims-free) but once you have a second one. THE first one will be counted also and then bam...you are out and go straight to jail into facilty insurance.

this is a stupid stupid thread.

first off, her insurance would not go up. If I was her, i would get a second opinion instead of her bone head insurance agent that knows dip sh1t at all. Claim insurance cause it wasnt her fault.

Her quote is probably from a dealer which explains the high$ quote. But of coz, if he didnt pay it, she should have claimed it. She doesnt need to get a second quote period.

And to use the drawing...that's his interpretation. She can alway have one too and say she parked it away from his car and had no idea how he hit her car.

Never get a first claim, it's like a freebie

1st claim = ~25% increase on top of a standard rate. You lose any discount that you received, ie combining home insurance etc

2nd claim = screwed. Your insurance will range from $4k (no comprehensive) to $10K (new car)
Dec 2, 2003
412 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry Chuckie... but:

1. you are 100% at fault.

2. get at least 3 quotes/estimates for the body work. If multiple body panels were affected, $1900 might not be that bad an estimate. If you decide to NOT go through insurance, let the body shop know and they may discount the price.

3. there is never a valid reason for running in to an inanimate object near your vehicle, no matter what the distance it gets to your car -- the advice the broker gave you regarding the other driver being at fault for parking so close?? CRAP. Think of it this way, that's not a car, it's a 5 year old. Who's at fault? I'm not trying to flame, just saying that the 5 year is not at fault for playing behind your vehicle... stupid yes, but it's the driver's responsibility to know what's around their vehicle. Most people just become too complacent at knowing what's around their vehicle. Yep, I'm guilty sometimes too. But really... it's a car parked diagonally - it's far too large to have been in your blindspot. This coming from someone with years of driving minivans and SUV's.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
chuckieland wrote:hi guys, i need some advise.
here is what happen
saturday night around 6pm
my car is park at drive way.
my sister's friend come visit her, but she couldn't drive into the driveway, so she park half on the sidewalk, and half on the driveway.
so i was in a hurry, i run outside and straight into my car.
turn the engine on, and backing the car out of my driveway.
i heard boom. so i stop, and i move the car forward.
i get off the car, i see my sister's friend's car parking there. i hit on the driver side. little dent on the door, and some scratch.
my rear bumper has dent dent on the right side.
he call me today, say that the damage is $1925, and expect me to cover 100%.
i talk to few of my friends. and some has told me that, since it's in my driveway, and she park half on the sidewalk and half on the drive way. it should be her fault, not my. but they are not 100% sure.
so i need to know where the law stand on this case.
and how should i handle this case?
man... did you even look behind you when you back out?? I can imagine you parking at a mall where people are waiting for your parking spot.. and you don't see them in your blind spots..
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
ChiGGz wrote:Let us say, premiums go up 425 (25% increase from 1700), next year would be lower than that (300), and each succesive year even lower that that, say 100 less. He's still paying less than $1000 + damage to his own car which could easily be another $1000. Each company has their own policy in regard to amount of increase and decrease each successive year. So it's a crap shoot. But paying $2000 out of your own pocket, I'd rather pay that over the course of years even it it were to cost me $400 more
but the quote he received wasn't even close to $1000, never mind the $1925 that the sister's friend received. Unless you are including the cost of repairing his own bumper which has a dent on the right side. I wouldn't fix that since he might accidently hit something else while backing out at night.

post #84 [his own words]
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... stcount=84

IMO, he should have just settled privately and paid out of his own pocket. Just my opinion, of course the OP is entitled to his.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:but the quote he received wasn't even close to $1000, never mind the $1925 that the sister's friend received. Unless you are including the cost of repairing his own bumper which has a dent on the right side. I wouldn't fix that since he might accidently hit something else while backing out at night.

post #84 [his own words]
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... stcount=84

IMO, he should have just settled privately and paid out of his own pocket. Just my opinion, of course the OP is entitled to his.
I never even read that one. He posted so many long messages saying the same thing over and over again. So I guess he managed to weasel his way out of 50%, and the idiot still thinks hes right. If I was the girl, I would definitely have demanded 100%, no exceptions.
Dec 2, 2003
412 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow - that post 84 is absolutely absurd. No wonder everyone's premiums are/have gone up. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for one's actions!? You move, hit an inanimate object, your fault.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Lesson to all: When parking, reverse into your driveway. This is the safest method. I do it all the time because I'm afraid of hitting kids walking to school in the morning when backing out of my driveway. Now I reverse in and in the morning I know for sure the sidewalk is clear before driving.
Mar 14, 2005
419 posts
No it should be

Lesson to all: When visiting a friend park 2 blocks away to make sure your car is safe if they have a idiot who can't drive for a brother.

Mods lock er up. Do not let the cheap weaselness, bad spelling/grammar and general stupidy of this thread spread to the other forums and minds of the good honest members of RFD.
RFDer 4 LIFE :D
Feb 8, 2003
348 posts
hi guys, i know my grammar is bad, but hey, this is forum, is not like i am writting a essay, so get a life.
i don't expect this? i came back to read. and i don't know what you guys are talking about.
First. regarding to the million dollar question, why didn't i see the car when i go out of house to my car.
I usually go out on the side door, i have answer it in othe post too.

I did mention i settle it privately. i'll pay 50% of her bill. we did not go thought insurance.

my insurance broker is a personal friend of my. and her insurance broker is her dad.(not some bonehead) so even know insurance borker was there, i'm sure no report has been sent.

4.senario is different, if i back out of parking lot and hit something, 100% at fault. no question. common knowledge. no way around it.
but for my case, all the professionals think i am not 100% at fault.

you are still entitle to your opinion, but don't try to make people take your opinion as facts. If you don't believe me. ask your insurance broker. if senario like my. am i still 100% at fault. then you can come back here and say it for sure.
you are entitle to say anything you like, but don't force people to take it, unless you know it for a FACT.

i am just glad i take qualify prefessional opinion over some of you.
P.S Most redflag member would this this as most important question.
SHE IS HOT. VERY HOT
but I think hot or ugly should not to change the LAW.
also i have no problem finding girls.
Feb 8, 2003
348 posts
BlackEros wrote:No it should be

Lesson to all: When visiting a friend park 2 blocks away to make sure your car is safe if they have a idiot who can't drive for a brother.

Mods lock er up. Do not let the cheap weaselness, bad spelling/grammar and general stupidy of this thread spread to the other forums and minds of the good honest members of RFD.
you say bad thing about me, that's ok. but if you trying to make yourself look good. it's not happenning.
1st. professional in the field say that you are wrong. I didn't say it. ask your insurance broker.
2nd. i'm a idiot that can't drive. How about you share your driving record. let's compare. but i know you won't. we all know the reason.
3rd.only thing stupid is you.
THIS IS ABOUT KNOWING YOUR RIGHTS, MY EXPRIENCE IS LEGIT, WHERE YOUR OPINION OR WHAT YOU THINKS IS NOT.
so i am a weasel because i only pay what i need it to pay. you are really smart.
Mar 14, 2005
419 posts
chuckieland wrote:you say bad thing about me, that's ok. but if you trying to make yourself look good. it's not happenning.
1st. professional in the field say that you are wrong. I didn't say it. ask your insurance broker.
2nd. i'm a idiot that can't drive. How about you share your driving record. let's compare. but i know you won't. we all know the reason.
3rd.only thing stupid is you.
THIS IS ABOUT KNOWING YOUR RIGHTS, MY EXPRIENCE IS LEGIT, WHERE YOUR OPINION OR WHAT YOU THINKS IS NOT.
so i am a weasel because i only pay what i need it to pay. you are really smart.

Who? What? Where?

This is getting old. Good Luck to you and Merry Christmas. Do whatever you feel is right or think you can get away with. Just because you can get away with something does not mean it is right. The law states you are 100% responsible if that girl and her broker had any good sense they would fight this. I guess some people just have different morals than others.

P.S. by the way you have definately ruined any chance of hooking up with your sister's friend or any of her friends for that matter. I can guarantee they all, including your sister think you are a n00b and that is only if they didnt before think that before and in that case you just proved it.
RFDer 4 LIFE :D
Feb 8, 2003
348 posts
Ride-On wrote:Wow - that post 84 is absolutely absurd. No wonder everyone's premiums are/have gone up. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for one's actions!? You move, hit an inanimate object, your fault.
we both settle privately. how does that increase everyone's premiums.
if the professionals from both side. and 3 other professionals think i am only paritally at fault. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU?
Ride-on, do you think earth is flat too, if you do. then i have to tell you earth is not flat.
CASE SENARIO is different. there are exception. and in my case, it is exception.
so i am only paritally at fault, i pay 50% of her damage.
there are alot of people putting people down to make themself look good.
I really don't know, how ride-on manage to screwup on putting people down. I am really worry about your future. and the tax i pay, that goes to canadian welfware system.
Feb 8, 2003
348 posts
BlackEros wrote:Who? What? Where?

This is getting old. Good Luck to you and Merry Christmas. Do whatever you feel is right or think you can get away with. Just because you can get away with something does not mean it is right. The law states you are 100% responsible if that girl and her broker had any good sense they would fight this. I guess some people just have different morals than others.

P.S. by the way you have definately ruined any chance of hooking up with your sisters friend or probably any of them for that matter. I can guarantee they all, including your sister think you are a n00b now
1.who: my insurance broker, her insurance broker. and YOUR Insurance broker,if you can pickup that phone and ask. then you can debate with your insurance broker. don't waste my time.
2.if the law states i am 100% responsible. then i should pay for 100%.
but the laws states i am not 100% responsible. so I pay 50%.
YOU ARE NOT THE LAW, WHAT YOU THINK DOES NOT GET WRITTEN INTO CANADIAN LAW.

3. i don't know about you man. since when does a guys go hit on sister's friends????? can you not meet girls on your own?
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
If you hit my car like you hit the girls car, you would be paying 100% of my damages. I dont care what your incompotent broker, or her pushover father said, you are at fault, you should have looked like any good driver would have.

You are a horrible person, your sister and your sister's friend have lost all respect for you, but hey, you saved a bunch on your car insurance!

idiot.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1589 posts
173 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
chuckieland wrote: 3. i don't know about you man. since when does a guys go hit on sister's friends????? can you not meet girls on your own?
Of all the things you've said, this one sounds the most intelligent. :D :lol:
I'm sure there a guys dating their cousins here, so believe me, it gets worse.
Feb 8, 2003
348 posts
mirek wrote:If you hit my car like you hit the girls car, you would be paying 100% of my damages. I dont care what your incompotent broker, or her pushover father said, you are at fault, you should have looked like any good driver would have.

You are a horrible person, your sister and your sister's friend have lost all respect for you, but hey, you saved a bunch on your car insurance!

idiot.
Then you can tell how stupid is the judge, only award you with parital compensation, because of the Law doesn't agree with your opinion.
so with common knowledge, I win. you have to pay for your lawyer and my.
my broker suppose to do what's in my best interest. not what mirek think is right.
i find my broker is ver compotent.
WHY DON'T YOU CALL YOUR BROKER, YOU NEED TO GET EDUCATE ON THIS ISSUE.
you can debate with your broker, i'm not going to waste anymore time saying that one should always pick qualify professional advise over your unqualify, unprofessional opinion.
you can think real hard about this.
Dec 11, 2005
371 posts
so much flaming :(

both should go through their insurance if they can't settle it between themselves. that's why you buy insurance in the first place.

op is here asking for advice so stop with the flaming.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1589 posts
173 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
sans wrote:so much flaming :(

both should go through their insurance if they can't settle it between themselves. that's why you buy insurance in the first place.

op is here asking for advice so stop with the flaming.
Do you happen to have the same IP is the OP? Seems you two have the same grammatical problems. lol
Aug 6, 2005
490 posts
Can a mod please correct the thread title. Each time it gets bumped it annoys the hell out of me. ADVICE

-Mems
Apr 19, 2004
662 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I wasn't going to contribute anything to this thread because I thought it was ridiculous from the beginning; but after reading post #84 the OP got away with murder.

I feel bad for the girl in this situation - her car is parked and stationary. You put your car in motion and backed into her car man - how is that 50/50? Unless we're missing some crucial part to this story I have no clue as to how you ended up getting off (you definitely pulled an O.J. Simpson no doubt)

I know so many different examples were used in this thread already so i'm not going to even bother.

One last question...if you were the girl in this situation, would you expect the same outcome? Don't lie to yourself while answering this question; you'll only be hurting yourself.