Automotive

Driveway enters 3 way stop, who has right of way?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 2:20 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2006
127 posts
29 upvotes

Driveway enters 3 way stop, who has right of way?

I have a driveway that is within a 3 way stop. I generally treat the end of my driveway as a 4th stop but am sometimes ignored while exiting or cars blow right through without stopping at all. I suppose they glance at the two roads without noticing the driveway and I get into a honking contest about once a week

If someone were to hit me while exiting my own driveway who would be at fault?
48 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20345 posts
7329 upvotes
Ottawa
The other vehicles have the right of way and you have to stay there for however long it takes, until the road is clear.
Jan 19, 2007
698 posts
226 upvotes
Torontario
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:47 pm
The other vehicles have the right of way and you have to stay there for however long it takes, until the road is clear.
Yep - driveway is not part of road. Lowest pecking order.
May 17, 2018
99 posts
34 upvotes
MrTickle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:45 pm
The other drivers have right of way, period. But if drivers regularly speed through the three-way without stopping, there may be recourse you can take / complaints you can make, depending on your location.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3023 posts
2494 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Unless you get the city to install a stop sign at the end of your driveway, and make it a 4 way stop, everybody else has right of way.

This is like backing out of your driveway on a regular street.

There might be some people who give courtesy to let you go, but don't assume it is your right.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8857 posts
2882 upvotes
Toronto
Install cameras at your home and if you get smoked, you have evidence.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2006
127 posts
29 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:37 pm
Install cameras at your home and if you get smoked, you have evidence.
Thanks. I'll be doing exactly this.

It's a pretty busy street sometimes with cars lining up 5-6 lengths. If I need to wait for the intersection to clear I'll be there all day but good to know where I stand from the rules/laws point of view.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20345 posts
7329 upvotes
Ottawa
MrTickle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 4:47 pm
Thanks. I'll be doing exactly this.

It's a pretty busy street sometimes with cars lining up 5-6 lengths. If I need to wait for the intersection to clear I'll be there all day but good to know where I stand from the rules/laws point of view.
Lol, you're going to incriminate yourself, for entering the road way when it wasn't safe and clear to do so.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1488 posts
387 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
I'm presuming that you back up into your driveway so that you are facing out on your departures.
Why would you move into a really dangerous location and put yourself and family at risk?
You should move.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5365 posts
2888 upvotes
Richmond Hill
so... which one is yours?

When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2859 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto
Never realized this could be a problem. Good thing I didn't buy this amazing house like that 15 years back and went with slightly lesser a block away.
Jul 5, 2004
22903 posts
2605 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 5:42 pm
Are they just handing out licenses in cereal boxes now?
They always have been, and it's only getting worse, not better.

The real answer is why risk injury/damage to your car. Go when the way is clear, even if you have to wait. You don't have the right of way, so don't be pushy.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20345 posts
7329 upvotes
Ottawa
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:43 pm
Never realized this could be a problem. Good thing I didn't buy this amazing house like that 15 years back and went with slightly lesser a block away.
Feng shui!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8857 posts
2882 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 5:09 pm
Lol, you're going to incriminate yourself, for entering the road way when it wasn't safe and clear to do so.
Blah. Get a family member to walk out with a stop sign in hand, block traffic and let OP out. If the way is clear and OP leaves the driveway and some stooge blows through the sign like OP suggested the drivers do, how is that self incriminating? Maybe you didn't read the OP?
MrTickle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 3:45 pm
I have a driveway that is within a 3 way stop. I generally treat the end of my driveway as a 4th stop but am sometimes ignored while exiting or cars blow right through without stopping at all. I suppose they glance at the two roads without noticing the driveway and I get into a honking contest about once a week

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)