None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1065 posts
49 upvotes

Driveway Paving

Hello all,

I'm having few guys over to give me a quote on asphalt driveway paving. What kind of questions should i ask to ensure they will do the job properly. Also, my drive way is about 700sqft, what would be a good price to have it paved; i just don't want to get ripped off. So yea, if someone can give me some info of how to determine that they will do a good job, i'd greatly appreciate it.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6592 posts
238 upvotes
YorkerToTDot wrote:
Jun 25th, 2013 10:24 am
$3500? Depends how many layer
My interlocking stones contractor finished my driveway (which can park 4 cars) with interlocking stones for $4k

Note: It was done together with other 1,200 sq ft of interlocking area though. But $4k was added to the original quote without driveway. So, not sure how much was the quantity discount.

Honestly, if I knew/planned to do the interlock on the driveway, I could have ask my builder not to put the asphalt on my driveway and save $900 (I think that's what they charged according to the sales agreement).
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
16234 posts
2577 upvotes
Toronto
Paving:

Paving a driveway involves more than just spreading asphalt beside your yard. Whether you're having a new driveway laid or the old one repaved, you should know exactly what is involved. Residential-driveway paving problems are among the most common causes of consumer complaints. If you don't have a clear idea what is required from base to sealer an unethical paving contractor may be able to talk you into unnecessary, expensive work or inferior materials.

If your home is new, don't have your driveway paved for at least two years following construction of the house to give ground time to settle. In most new subdivisions, the house builder arranges to pave the boulevards - the area between the sidewall and the road. Ask the builder or the municipal planning department who is responsible for the boulevard before signing a driveway paving contract.

The Basics:

You will have to decide whether excavation is needed before paving. If the stone under the driveway isn't deep enough to provide a firm foundation or the new or repaved driveway would be higher than the surrounding ground, excavation is usually required.

Crushed limestone is generally preferred for the base because it compacts well. For new driveways, at least 100 millimetres (four inches) is required. For re-grading driveways, enough limestone must be used to ensure proper drainage.. A 460 millimetre or 18 inch fall is needed for every 30 metres or 100 feet of driveway. In addition, the driveway should slope away from the house or garage.

Coarser grades of asphalt are more durable. A mix known as HL3A is normally used for home driveways, while a coarser HL3 mix is used for highways and steep driveways because it provides better traction. About 50 millimetres, or two inches, o compacted asphalt should be used on your home driveway. If the asphalt is thicker, it will remain soft when compacted.

Don't let the contractor use 75 millimetres or three inches on compacted asphalt, unless it is being applied in two layers. Sealer, which makes the driveway more oil and grease resistant, should be applies about 60 to 90 days after paving. Don't apply it too early because it doesn't mix with the oil in fresh asphalt.

To help prevent weeds and grass from growing through the pavement, weed killer should be sprayed before paving. If you want this or any other extra service performed by the paver, make sure it's written into the contract. In addition, you should look for any blank spaces and mark them N/A (not applicable) or Nil.
× < >