• Jul 27th, 2013 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
tebore wrote: Who keeps recommending a GM Midsized V6 is daft. The best you could possibly squeeze out of it would be 32-34MPG(US) using crazy eco driving skills. In the city forget about it.

How can you even compare that to ~40 MPG of a used Diesel on any given day? Push 40+MPG if you eco drive it.

Hybrids are city cars that's plain and simple. On the highway they're terrible choices. If you do nothing but run around in the city Hybrids are great.

Yes new gas Compacts are approaching the MPGs of diesels. But they haven't achieved or surpassed the diesel of the same vintage. You have diesels approaching 50-60mpg. Not to mention the torque. I'd also take a VW and it's comforts over a Civic eco anyday if i had to drive 150km/day.
poedua wrote: +1

For example, the Impala has a 3.6L V6 - and CR puts it's highway fuel economy at 34 mpg. Mind you, the Lacrosse has a 3.6L V6 as well, and it comes in at 30 mpg

fwiw...CR puts the Golf TDI highway fuel economy at 49 mpg...the TDI Jetta just a bit less, at 45 mpg.
He's right, the EPA rating for the 3.6L is 29 mpg (US) highway:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do? ... 1&id=31375

BTW, the newer hybrids (Fusion/CMAX/Kia/Hyundai) can run in battery mode at highway speeds, so they can do better than their straight gas cousins whereas older hybrids (Camry/Prius/older Fusion) can't past about 60 km/hr
Sep 4, 2005
940 posts
64 upvotes
The only reason I mentioned a GM V6 is to give the OP another choice.. IMO driving 150km per day is a lot. Sure it won't get you the best MPG, however I think it's a good balance between getting reasonable MPG and comfort, while staying around OP's budget.

If the OP does not care for the extra space of a midsize, then by all means look at the compact/subcompact class..
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
poedua wrote: According to CR at least, the new Civic has about the same highway fuel econony as the Fiat 500 - all with the Civic having a bigger engine & an extra 40 horsepower.

As far as a GM 6 cyl, you're probably looking at a 3.6L V6....which just can't give you the highway fuel econony you can get from a 1.8L 4 ( i.e Civic ) or a 1.4L 4 ( i.e Fiat )

A speaking of the Fiat, just saw a 4 door Fiat-500 L ( see below ) in a lot yesterday...though I think this is positioned more against the likes of the Kia Soul, the Nissan Juke, the Scion xB, and the Mini Countryman than say the popular 4 door Civic

[IMG]http://www.driving.ca/cms/binary/7621261.jpg[/IMG]
Wow. Just as beautiful as the Aztec.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Wow. Just as beautiful as the Aztec.
I see no reason to insult the Fit 500 L like that ;) ..... :lol: :lol:

But you're right...that Aztec WAS one ugly vehicle.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
The OP should drive a TDI, then drive a Prius/other hybrid. Preferably on the same day. The diesel has much more low-end torque which makes driving easier (capable passing power when needed) and a lot more enjoyable. Power is accessible right at the get go. But only the OP can tell if it's worthwhile for him/her.

Sure, maintenance and parts might be more for the TDI, but the fuel savings (and fun-to-drive factor of the torque) makes it all worthwhile.

And if you order parts from the US, and go with a (reputable) independent mechanic for service/repair; your costs as significantly driven down.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1567 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
ar_ken wrote: however I think it's a good balance between getting reasonable MPG and comfort, while staying around OP's budget.

If the OP does not care for the extra space of a midsize, then by all means look at the compact/subcompact class..
Exactly.
Most days I'm driving 100+km per day, someday it could be 160 or even 200+. Last year I was changing my car, and budget was very close, so basically was sitting in the same boat. I've tried a couple compacts and figured out that there is no way I will going to spend 1-2hrs every day in compact. I don't fill myself comfortable at all. Ended up with... right, loaded GM V6, used, but still under leftovers of warranty :)
I'm happy so far. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)