Wheels and Tires

Driving to Florida - Swap out winters back to all-season?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2018 3:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2195 posts
92 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Driving to Florida - Swap out winters back to all-season?

Hi,

My family and I are driving to Orlando and Miami, Florida and will be spending total 9 days there [not including driving to and from]

Is it worth switching back to all-season to make the trip down there?

My winter's hasn't been used much and was bought last year winter and put about no more than 10k km on them [last year plus current]
61 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1918 posts
808 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Maybe if you were going on March Break. This time of year it is very possible that it could snow from Kentucky to Ontario for the nine days you are there.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5286 posts
1072 upvotes
BC
No, keep them on, you may well need them on the way down, or coming back.

Drive within the limitations of your winter tires when in the warmer weather.

This is a case where All-weather tires might have suited your purposes better.

Have a plan for what to do if one of your winters gets a flat that cannot be repaired. They won't have a replacement for it in the Sunshine State.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
3908 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
SWAP OUT TO ALL SEASONS.

My friend's brother did the exact same trip a few years ago on near new winter tires and by the time he got back to Toronto the tires were almost bald. Winter tires wear exponentially higher when outside their operating temperature.
Oct 21, 2013
111 posts
15 upvotes
Tyrannosaurland
Don't drive on Blizzaks to Florida. You have been warned!
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2007
2851 posts
351 upvotes
I would swap it but just be cautious if it does snow or if temperature is below 7.
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4257 upvotes
Keep the all seasons in the trunk and swap them out when you encounter temps above 7'C.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1034 posts
172 upvotes
Aurora
When are you going and what route do you plan to take? If you're going I-95 through Buffalo, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, etc there's a better chance you'll hit snow than if you're taking I-75 through Detroit.

Plus I wouldn't want to be on all seasons driving through the mountains in WV.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/03/ti ... ving-south
Interstate 75 is the most popular. You drive to Detroit, pick up 75 and you don't have to leave it, except for gas and lodging, 'til you reach Florida. You are less likely to hit bad weather on this route as there is no high ground until you reach Kentucky.
I did the I-95 drive down in August and the last thing I'd want is to be on no seasons if it was snowing and I was driving through WV.
Jan 2, 2014
80 posts
24 upvotes
Oshawa
win-star wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 4:56 pm
Hi,

My family and I are driving to Orlando and Miami, Florida and will be spending total 9 days there [not including driving to and from]

My winter's hasn't been used much and was bought last year winter and put about no more than 10k km on them [last year plus current]
I drove to North Carolina in early March 2 years ago and had the same dilemma. I kept my Gislaveds on and felt like an idiot when I got there because it was 25C in NC. However a week later on the way back all hell broke loose, snow, freezing rain, you name it, to the point where the Penn turnpike was closed overnight. I can't even tell you how many cars I saw in the ditch... my compact in the Gislaveds? just kept on trekking.

Moral of the story, it's like taking a gamble, if you are confident in your all-seasons and how well you can drive with them in inclement weather do the switch, if safety is a concern, you may want to keep them on, just keep in mind that you may wear them heavily...
Apr 19, 2008
388 posts
13 upvotes
Burlington
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 5:09 am
Keep the all seasons in the trunk and swap them out when you encounter temps above 7'C.
They're driving to Florida...I'm guessing they don't have the spare space for 4 tires.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1295 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax
Whats more important , saving a few bucks on tire wear or you and your familys life if you hit a bad storm /weather on the way there or back.... you do the math.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2197 posts
574 upvotes
GTA
HKPolice wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 6:32 pm
SWAP OUT TO ALL SEASONS.

My friend's brother did the exact same trip a few years ago on near new winter tires and by the time he got back to Toronto the tires were almost bald. Winter tires wear exponentially higher when outside their operating temperature.
He must have had ***** winter tires.
I did the same trip 2 years ago, in January, on Gislaved Nordfrost 5's and saw no such wear, and it was +27c when we got to Miami.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2195 posts
92 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 5:09 am
No space, i would if there was only 2 of us.

Total 4 will be in the car plus luggage in the trunk.
Lincoln65 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 9:35 am
Whats more important , saving a few bucks on tire wear or you and your familys life if you hit a bad storm /weather on the way there or back.... you do the math.
I am not worried about wear. I am asking because I/we never drove down south during the "cold seasons" and I am asking here so people with experience could give me an idea if i should keep it on or not
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6200 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
win-star wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 4:56 pm
Hi,

lol, guess you've never driven to Florida. Why don't you take a look at that map one more time - a long hard look at that map.. PA/Virginia mountains you're going to have to drive through.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6200 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
chronos wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 5:54 am
When are you going and what route do you plan to take? If you're going I-95 through Buffalo, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, etc there's a better chance you'll hit snow than if you're taking I-75 through Detroit.

Plus I wouldn't want to be on all seasons driving through the mountains in WV.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/03/ti ... ving-south

I did the I-95 drive down in August and the last thing I'd want is to be on no seasons if it was snowing and I was driving through WV.
bingo.