Wheels and Tires

Driving to Florida - Swap out winters back to all-season?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1040 posts
175 upvotes
Aurora
win-star wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 10:25 am
I am not worried about wear. I am asking because I/we never drove down south during the "cold seasons" and I am asking here so people with experience could give me an idea if i should keep it on or not
Well in that case, keep them on. Better to have them than to not have them and get caught in a snowstorm.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5597 posts
1283 upvotes
BC
Another option is to go with your all-seasons and carry chains.

That will address traction concerns in the event of heavy snow on the way down or returning, but will not help for light snow or ice.

But keeping the winters on is the best plan.

They will still be good for one or two more winters, by which time they might start cracking through age while still have adequate tread depth.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5640 posts
363 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 5:09 am
Keep the all seasons in the trunk and swap them out when you encounter temps above 7'C.
Keep the jack, torque wrench and if possible, electric impact gun in there as well.
--
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1295 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax
win-star wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 10:25 am
No space, i would if there was only 2 of us.

Total 4 will be in the car plus luggage in the trunk.

I am not worried about wear. I am asking because I/we never drove down south during the "cold seasons" and I am asking here so people with experience could give me an idea if i should keep it on or not
I dont know since I have never driven there but I know how the weather can be north of Florida , I dont think you would have any problems down there with winter tires on unless maybe they are "studed tires" then maybe you might get pulled over with studs on , but every non studed winter tire is a bit different as far as tread compounds go , some are really solf and some are not so solf, the solfer the compound the faster the tire will wear as the temp climbs but they should grip the road nicely :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6349 posts
304 upvotes
GT'eh
My advice, take a rental instead and avoid any wear and tear on your tires or vehicle. The cost of rental can be less than the cost of a new set of winters.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Dec 14, 2012
536 posts
96 upvotes
[QUOTE]Is it worth switching back to all-season to make the trip down there? [/QUOTE]

Stay will all seasons.

If one day it snows "too" much you will head off to a hotel/motel with or without snow tires.
Jan 23, 2010
304 posts
95 upvotes
Hamilton
Good Point about the mountain passes in VA. I'm sure the winter tires will be fine for 9 days in Orlando just take it easy when driving on them.

Love the comment about storing the all seasons in the trunk :D I guess he forgot about the luggage
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1461 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario
m4gician wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 12:10 pm
Keep the jack, torque wrench and if possible, electric impact gun in there as well.
Don't forget the thermometer, so when the temperature gets to 7.1C he can pull over and change the tires. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5640 posts
363 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Don't be silly. Put the All seasons on and drive better in snowy/icy conditions. Switch back otherwise those winters will be heavily worn
--
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1040 posts
175 upvotes
Aurora
OP hasn't even said which route he's taking.

IMO,
I-95 = winters
I-75 = all seasons

But if it were me I'd just stay on winters regardless. OP even said he doesn't care about wear on the winters.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16650 posts
1532 upvotes
Space for rent
macnut wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 5:24 pm
No, keep them on, you may well need them on the way down, or coming back.

Drive within the limitations of your winter tires when in the warmer weather.

This is a case where All-weather tires might have suited your purposes better.

Have a plan for what to do if one of your winters gets a flat that cannot be repaired. They won't have a replacement for it in the Sunshine State.
Good advice. SO what would you do if that scenario came up?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5597 posts
1283 upvotes
BC
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 3:16 pm
Good advice. SO what would you do if that scenario came up?
PLAN A would be, if time allowed, to get a matching used one off ebay shipped overnight (might be a problem with an unverified address)

PLAN B would have to be buy 4 new A/S tires at a national chain that would give some credit for the 3 good winters

But all depends where the unfortunate event happens - en route or in Florida.

Don't know about the OP but I'm beginning to prefer the A/S option (and carry chains).

(Not sure about the earlier rental car suggestion. Getting a rental equipped with winters is hard enough, and then it might be one that doesn't allow travel out of Canada.)
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16650 posts
1532 upvotes
Space for rent
macnut wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 3:39 pm
PLAN A would be, if time allowed, to get a matching used one off ebay shipped overnight (might be a problem with an unverified address)

PLAN B would have to be buy 4 new A/S tires at a national chain that would give some credit for the 3 good winters

But all depends where the unfortunate event happens - en route or in Florida.

Don't know about the OP but I'm beginning to prefer the A/S option (and carry chains).

(Not sure about the earlier rental car suggestion. Getting a rental equipped with winters is hard enough, and then it might be one that doesn't allow travel out of Canada.)
Realistically speaking, how much damage would driving in 30-35 celcius degree with winters for 6-7 days really do? I mean we've all seen drivers with winters in the summer locally or they're just too cheap or don't care to put hub caps on, I don't know. Point is, I don't know if I would go through the trouble of switching just for a trip personally. Just drive like a sane person.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2185 posts
490 upvotes
You'll be fine with the winters. I did the same thing going down to NC last year. There was no noticeable wear on my winter tires which still have a ton of tread.

Just be very careful because the tires will become very greasy and your braking distance will mostly get worse along with overall handling. But unless your driving a highl powered sports car and you drive like a maniac, I wouldn't worry about it.