Wheels and Tires

Driving to Florida - Swap out winters back to all-season?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15918 posts
1300 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 4:07 pm
You'll be fine with the winters. I did the same thing going down to NC last year. There was no noticeable wear on my winter tires which still have a ton of tread.

Just be very careful because the tires will become very greasy and your braking distance will mostly get worse along with overall handling. But unless your driving a highl powered sports car and you drive like a maniac, I wouldn't worry about it.
What makes the tires greasy? Is it because the compound is operating beyond its temperature threshold and are degrading? Like F1 tires that start to marble or shred but on a lesser degree.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2143 posts
453 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 4:21 pm
What makes the tires greasy? Is it because the compound is operating beyond its temperature threshold and are degrading? Like F1 tires that start to marble or shred but on a lesser degree.
Yeah, the compound is very different usually, though of course each brand used a different mix of compounds. But if there's one thing that is common, it's the softness of it as well and how they do "melt" enough to feel greasy with a noticeable deterioration in braking and handling.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4712 posts
986 upvotes
Riyadh, Kingdom of S…
win-star wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 4:56 pm
Hi,

My family and I are driving to Orlando and Miami, Florida and will be spending total 9 days there [not including driving to and from]

Is it worth switching back to all-season to make the trip down there?

My winter's hasn't been used much and was bought last year winter and put about no more than 10k km on them [last year plus current]
Why you gonna swap it?
VirginMobile $40 4gb LG G6
Freedom 2x $45 10gb S9 Plus & iPhone 8

Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3666 posts
611 upvotes
I did that about 4 years ago with my Winters on. I was about the only one at Busch Garden with the snow tire on. The other one I saw was from Ottawa. I came back and there's snow storm at Buffalo. Tire still ok for another 2 seasons when I sold them (with rims) year before.
The way I see it is that you got your whole family in the car and you don't want anything happen to them. I know this is RFD and you want to cheap out. Don't. Consider the hassle and the consequences IF it happens in the States.
After all the reason you bought your snow tires is to have better control and safety.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1450 posts
115 upvotes
Mississauga
Good question OP. Interesting replies. Need also to consider if you have snows on and the Insurance company gives you a discount for Winters. What will be the outcome be if you do not have snows on and get into an accident?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2240 posts
441 upvotes
Ottawa
Wearing of threads aside, snow tires perform better in heat because of the softer rubber compound, they will stick to the asphalt better. More grip more traction.
Jan 23, 2010
304 posts
95 upvotes
Hamilton
I've been to Orlando once in January and the temp was anywhere from 19-25 degrees for the week. The nights were cool 8-14 Degrees. I hope the OP has nice weather it can be hit or miss in that part of Florida. Since it's winter the angle of the sun is not too intense so the asphalt will not be as hot as in the spring and summers.

The tires should be fine, if you want them to last easy on the gas and brakes and corners.
Aug 28, 2010
999 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
swap it, driving in all-seasons is fine for most winter conditions in the GTA.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5857 posts
1989 upvotes
Kootenays
HKPolice wrote:
Dec 28th, 2014 6:32 pm
SWAP OUT TO ALL SEASONS.

My friend's brother did the exact same trip a few years ago on near new winter tires and by the time he got back to Toronto the tires were almost bald. Winter tires wear exponentially higher when outside their operating temperature.
What a load of crap! Winters wear a bit faster when it's warm, but they won't wear out in 5,000 miles!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4004 posts
419 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a tough call but personally, I'd probably swap to the 4 seasons. You're driving on interstates so they will be plowed and if it's a really bad storm, pull off the road and wait until it passes.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2346 posts
240 upvotes
Waterloo
shoppingkart wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 2:40 pm
Don't forget the thermometer, so when the temperature gets to 7.1C he can pull over and change the tires. ;)
lol.

does anyone even have a link/ or seen the study to where the myth about -7C originates? or what that signifies?

OP change to all season. you'll be fine. If you drive a few thoudans Kms on winter tires youre likely reducing their winter tread life. You'll be out of WInter season in 4-5 hours tops.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5449 posts
1178 upvotes
BC
Supahhh wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2015 4:38 pm
does anyone even have a link/ or seen the study to where the myth about -7C originates? or what that signifies?
Good question. I don't think there is any such study.

The following article from 7 years ago shows Conti was the first tire manufacturer to target consumer's conscience (or their wallet) and build a case for winter tires as a commodity.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/200 ... ree-switch

Presumably 45 deg. F was chosen as a nice round number in the U.S. to use as the magic figure below which winter tire compounds started to do their best work,
and by extension, or really a bit of a stretch, the temperature at which A/S rubber starts to get too hard for its own good.

So now we have the odd number 7 deg. C in the metric world as the approximate threshold.

What you refer to as a myth comes about because many people now take that threshold much too literally - believing it to be a sharp discontinuity.

In truth, of course, it's an approximate point where we might expect the virtues of winter tires to show up and a weakness of A/S's to become apparent.

I would expect much would actually depend on the vehicle involved, tread depth of the tires in question, the driver, the road surface condition, the humidity, and probably a lot of other things.

In summary, tire makers will go to any lengths to move more product as it can be a highly profitable business.

As to the stated desirability of independent 3rd. party supporters of Conti's concept back then? I think they quickly emerged.
Newspaper articles, motoring organizations, tire retailers, and RFD posters.
No need for any scientific study to validate the marketing concept - it's already entrenched as a Canadian belief.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2202 posts
95 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
chronos wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2015 4:31 pm
So how was the trip, OP?
The trip was great!!

I ended up leaving my winters on. I found driving with winters on wasn't too bad in the warmer climate. was a bit slippery at start off from a dead stop.

I rotated my tires half way through the trip in Florida so wear wasn't too bad. When getting there, we used the family's spare car so better on my side for tire wear lol