Wheels and Tires

Driving to Florida - Swap out winters back to all-season?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2009
770 posts
127 upvotes
Halifax
Supahhh wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2015 4:38 pm
lol.

does anyone even have a link/ or seen the study to where the myth about -7C originates? or what that signifies?

OP change to all season. you'll be fine. If you drive a few thoudans Kms on winter tires youre likely reducing their winter tread life. You'll be out of WInter season in 4-5 hours tops.
Myth? It isn't a myth and it's not -7C, it's +7C. Start with any tire professional, Tire Rack and Consumer reports have also information on this, if you think manufacturers are giving myths. LOL
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2346 posts
243 upvotes
Waterloo
Seanhfx wrote:
Jan 25th, 2015 11:55 am
Myth? It isn't a myth and it's not -7C, it's +7C. Start with any tire professional, Tire Rack and Consumer reports have also information on this, if you think manufacturers are giving myths. LOL

Ofcourse anything unsubstantiated by corroborated research reports is just marketing myth. Tire professionals, and Tire retailers will of course follow thru with this to cash in and a major chunk of their marketing money also comes from manufacturers. Note that car rental companies have ignored this completely.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/200 ... ree-switch refers to 7C which makes uttely no sense, But most Canadian ignore the fact that in America, vast majority use "Summer tires" which may(*) become less useful at 7C , where as Vast majority of Canadians use "ALL Season tires". He also says 70% of Winter driving is done on pavement with no snow. Not only its not true for northern Ontario ( and areas of snow belt ) and many areas of Canada where Winter tires are required but, at 6C on a dry pavement any tire is fine, unless they have studies to prove different.,

There is also the talk of esoteric compounds used in the Winter tires. Truth is, Winter tires contain more new natural rubber than Other tires. New natural rubber is much more expensive than the other products added to tires. Note that its the same for "high performance" racing tires, i,e more natural rubber.
I'm not saying that winter tires are not required. I always ( mostly} have had used them. But this 7C talk is nonsense when talking in context of all season tires. I did hear from many sources about 7 ( not -7 ) , I always presumed that they might be misquoting.

I Have actually heard of -7 talked about as well and explained. The justification at that temperature is that measures such as road salt become ineffective (At that tempratures Highway departments have to either switch to different compounds or they plain give up if they dont have the budget, relying more on plows), hence you truely need Snow and Ice rated tires at that temperature and below. Note that it can still work, but the quantities required are increased to where its not practically possible.

My opinion is the 7C myth originates in the salt usability, and then from there on it propagated in form of she said /she said until it was picked up by the marketing teams.

(*) again studies have to be provided which prove as such.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12657 posts
1492 upvotes
Toronto
I’m driving down to Florida in 2 weeks. Should I put my all season tires back on? What’s the best option???
Feb 6, 2017
831 posts
365 upvotes
Wouldn't your winter tires get shredded in warm weather? Shredded as in wearing down very fast.
Nov 6, 2013
537 posts
291 upvotes
Winnipeg
I mean, they will be fine for half the drive, but once you hit the Southern states you are going to get increased wear. How long are you driving around Florida? If it's a week or two I would leave the winters.. longer than that I would probably switch.
Aug 29, 2011
193 posts
146 upvotes
GTA
trixstar wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:44 pm
I’m driving down to Florida in 2 weeks. Should I put my all season tires back on? What’s the best option???
If you are taking I75 then only go without snow or all season tires if you are sure there is no snow from here to Florida. I have driven that route in winter recently and it is horrendous. Michigan in particular has a very small snow cleaning budget. Cars were off the road everywhere. Even Georgia had snow when we drove through.
The Duke
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12657 posts
1492 upvotes
Toronto
We'll be taking i79, i19, i77, i95 and so forth. All highway straight to Florida
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2517 posts
1416 upvotes
Montreal
Depends on what other tire you have, if it's a good 3 season tire I'd probably change and plan for a few more hours of travel, if it's a summer biased tire I'd bite the bullet and use winter.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3466 posts
1159 upvotes
Mississauga
Leave the winters on. 2 weeks in Florida won’t adversely affect them.

Our last roadtrip to FL was in mid-March and I appreciated not doing an early swap out as we hit some sketchy weather in New York state on the way back.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12657 posts
1492 upvotes
Toronto
Okay I’ll keep the tires on. Thank you everyone for the input. I’m driving down and staying for just a week to board a cruise. I won’t do much driving in Florida. If snow removal is pretty sketch, I’ll just keep my winters on just as a precaution.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2517 posts
1416 upvotes
Montreal
trixstar wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:02 pm
Okay I’ll keep the tires on. Thank you everyone for the input. I’m driving down and staying for just a week to board a cruise. I won’t do much driving in Florida. If snow removal is pretty sketch, I’ll just keep my winters on just as a precaution.
In that case yeah leave the winter tires on for sure.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13049 posts
2563 upvotes
London
trixstar wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 10:35 pm
We'll be taking i79, i19, i77, i95 and so forth. All highway straight to Florida
That route takes you through the "mountains" where it's a lot more likely to snow (vs I75 or I95), so leave your snow tires on.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2309 posts
296 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
I just did this drive 2 weeks ago. I was contemplating the same thing. Kept my winters on and they did fine down south.

On the way back i was glad i had them since I got quite a bit of snow.