Wheels and Tires

Driving to Florida - Swap out winters back to all-season?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5585 posts
1267 upvotes
BC
HN12345 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 10:12 pm
Wouldn't your winter tires get shredded in warm weather? Shredded as in wearing down very fast.
No! It's a RFD urban legend craftily promulgated by tire makers and dealers who want to move more product.

If the winter tires are brand new and have something like Blizzak technology with a relatively soft topmost layer, then yes, they will wear down quicker on dry pavement in warm weather.
But for most winter tires that have already done a few kms., it's not going to be the rate of wear that is popularly supposed.
And even in the worst case, you arrive home with what is effectively now a perfectly good set of all-seasons that provided you a safety margin had snow been an issue in some parts of the trip.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12656 posts
1491 upvotes
Toronto
I just got back from Fort Lauderdale...

I effectively lost an entire winter season's worth of tread if not more. The warm weather really took a toll on these tires. I'm riding on the X-Ice Xi3. Driving to florida, there was no snow at all. Coming back, there was only a bit of snow going through buffalo.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4071 posts
424 upvotes
Guelph, ON
trixstar wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 2:36 pm
I just got back from Fort Lauderdale...

I effectively lost an entire winter season's worth of tread if not more. The warm weather really took a toll on these tires. I'm riding on the X-Ice Xi3. Driving to florida, there was no snow at all. Coming back, there was only a bit of snow going through buffalo.
That's crazy, but I'm not surprised. At end of day, if not rolling on All Weathers, switch back to All Season.

And as long as your All-Season are in good shape, you'll be fine. Issue is speed, if encounter poor weather, slow down!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5212 posts
1461 upvotes
Space
All seasons are a no brainer. You’ll see insane wear on your winters in Florida. You’ve been warned.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3448 posts
1139 upvotes
Mississauga
A few years ago I drove to Florida, spent a week there then drove back. I did not experience “insane wear” on my winter tires.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7299 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
I drove down south quite a few times over the past 10-15 years.

Bad weather in winter is almost a given especially if you go the Erie route and then down.

The past Christmas was an extreme case where the Carolinas were in State of Emergency due to freezing rain and no tires would have helped if you didn’t slow down.

I put Nokian WRs on the car which is a good compromise for all 4 seasons. The wear is actually not a big issue. A bit more road noise is the main issue. Fuel economy is not bad. Handling is as good as the OEM tires.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3738 posts
920 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Driving thru Virgina couple of winters ago on Winterforce was great... no snow there but heavy rain which slowed most of the other other cars but we were able to drive at limit [ok, ok, slightly above :)]

Have used altimax arctic, blizzak and x-ice in warm temps and never had great wear. Decade ago bought winters down south during August and drove up with them and had no visible wear after about 1500 km [could still see the hairs on tires].

Think the more performance or ice winters would experience more wear.