Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 10, 2013
324 posts
105 upvotes
Unionville, ON

driving with handheld electronic device

just curious, why is it totally forbidden to drive with a handheld electronic device (even if you are just holding it and not using it, or trying to pick it up and put it back somewhere), but okay to fiddle with your car's built-in stereo/navigation, etc? (on a legal/enforcement point of view)

I mean, sometimes I am even scared of picking up on my phone off the passenger seat and put it back in the armrest compartment box, for the fear an officer could see it and give me a ticket.
On the other hand, I don't worry about playing around with my navi or browsing thru hundreds of songs with my car built-in navi and music system.

both are distracted driving, but why all the attention on the former and not the latter?
6 replies
Aug 3, 2011
412 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
joejoem wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 4:28 pm
just curious, why is it totally forbidden to drive with a handheld electronic device (even if you are just holding it and not using it, or trying to pick it up and put it back somewhere), but okay to fiddle with your car's built-in stereo/navigation, etc? (on a legal/enforcement point of view)

I mean, sometimes I am even scared of picking up on my phone off the passenger seat and put it back in the armrest compartment box, for the fear an officer could see it and give me a ticket.
On the other hand, I don't worry about playing around with my navi or browsing thru hundreds of songs with my car built-in navi and music system.

both are distracted driving, but why all the attention on the former and not the latter?
Actually, you aren't allowed to do those either. You need to set up your navi before you drive. You aren't allowed to touch navi (or browse through your music library) while driving.
Apr 10, 2013
177 posts
16 upvotes
Arabidopsis wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 4:37 pm
Actually, you aren't allowed to do those either. You need to set up your navi before you drive. You aren't allowed to touch navi (or browse through your music library) while driving.
But there's no law against changing your radio channel?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8498 posts
1021 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It's left up to the discretion of the officer to determine if you were distracted or not because the laws themselves are vaguely written. In theory even talking to your passenger can be distracting.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2013
324 posts
105 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Arabidopsis wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 4:37 pm
thinking more on an "enforcement" point of view.
don't know about built-in navi, but polices never ticket someone for changing tracks or radio station even if they see it.

but if they see you touch your phone, you are screwed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8498 posts
1021 upvotes
Montreal, QC
joejoem wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 4:47 pm
thinking more on an "enforcement" point of view.
don't know about built-in navi, but polices never ticket someone for changing tracks or radio station even if they see it.

but if they see you touch your phone, you are screwed.
Lowest hanging fruit practice.

You can always argue that you were reaching for a bottle of water (some car interiors have the cupholder in front instead of between the driver/passenger) but having a phone in plain view is kind of damning.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4299 upvotes
joejoem wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 4:28 pm
Looks like the law is working