• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2019 9:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2655 posts
2084 upvotes

Driving license expired

I have been a non resident of Canada for the past 4 years. My Ontario driver's license expired in 2015. My understanding is that if I am to return to canada, I would have to pass another exam.

What if I am able to obtain a license in another country? Would I be able to transfer it, or do I still need to pass the test?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2373 posts
927 upvotes
https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-expir ... rs-licence

Invalid: 3-10 years
To renew, you will need to take:

a written knowledge test
an eye test
two road tests (G1 and G2)
you can book your first road test as soon as you pass your knowledge and eye tests
you can book your G2 road test, as soon as you pass your G1 road test
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2655 posts
2084 upvotes
Ok.

But, what if I obtain a valid driver's license from another country?

Another question. Are these laws provincial? I am reading now that expired license is renewable in Alberta after 5 years. Would that work if your previous license was in Ontario?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22672 posts
7711 upvotes
Toronto
If you are to get a new DL here, what address are you using on it ?
Dec 17, 2015
458 posts
153 upvotes
York, ON
BiegeToyota wrote: Ok.

But, what if I obtain a valid driver's license from another country?

Another question. Are these laws provincial? I am reading now that expired license is renewable in Alberta after 5 years. Would that work if your previous license was in Ontario?

Bigger question is where your license from other country. If you have valid license somewhere else then apply for international licence, check and see if you qualify.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2655 posts
2084 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 9:43 pm
If you are to get a new DL here, what address are you using on it ?
Let's say I move to Alberta as, per previous post.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10349 posts
4990 upvotes
Toronto
You planning to get a Beige Corolla?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
2532 posts
1503 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 9:48 pm

Let's say I move to Alberta as, per previous post.
Do not use us to by pass whatever scam you are planning. We are going back to government examiners March 1st. No more paying off private examiners.

You have to be a resident of Alberta and Canada to exchange license from approved countries.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2655 posts
2084 upvotes
Xtrema wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 10:38 pm
Do not use us to by pass whatever scam you are planning. We are going back to government examiners March 1st. No more paying off private examiners.

You have to be a resident of Alberta and Canada to exchange license from approved countries.
What are you on about? Are you posting drunk?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1767 posts
1763 upvotes
GTA
Just do the test in whatever province or territory you're moving to. You know how to drive, right? I don't see what the problem is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2655 posts
2084 upvotes
derass wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 11:31 pm
Just do the test in whatever province or territory you're moving to. You know how to drive, right? I don't see what the problem is.
Just inquiring about the rules and keeping all the options open.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1767 posts
1763 upvotes
GTA
Have you tried contacting the licensing authority in whatever province or territory? That's probably a lot more useful than this. Your situation is pretty unique.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2655 posts
2084 upvotes
Well, I don't think it's unique. People leave Canada and come back all the time.

I was thinking Alberta as generally the cost of owning a car would be cheaper and I wanted to take advantage of a downturn and purchase a condo in Calgary.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8886 posts
2012 upvotes
Just get your licence from Thailand, then exchange it, but I believe that's not an agreement country and you still have to do a road test. As mentioned it can depend on province. Start calling each province's motor vehicle and ask. But at least you don't have to wait the bullshit 2 year learners licence stupidity.