Cell Phones

Driving from Montreal to NYC next week, prepaid plan with data?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 9:50 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
972 posts
84 upvotes

Driving from Montreal to NYC next week, prepaid plan with data?

Hi all,

I will be driving from Montréal to NYC next week and will spend 4 days there. I am looking for a solution mostly for data for my phone but SMS could be nice to have. It would be nice if I could get a prepaid kit with data right after crossing the border so I can use maps navigation etc. with my iPhone. I am currently with PC mobile and they don't offer roaming so I have to look elswhere.

where to buy the prepaid kit? do they sell in convenient stores (something equivalent to our 7-Eleven plan or Petro Canada plan), is there any specific provider that I should look into?
24 replies
Dec 6, 2012
294 posts
119 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Yes, Roam Mobility, also make sure your phone support the same LTE band as T-Mobile else you can have 2G/3G speed only. Bought mine in Bureau en gros years ago.
I am using RM for years on my Zenfone2, easily have 30+Mbp/s, more in big city. Some spot in the Adirondacks you will have no cover.
For 5$CAD per day you have unlimited calls, unlimited SMS/MMS and 512MB per day, so for 4 days you will have 2GB for 20$CAD, not bad.

I don't know where in NYC you are going, but I suggest I87, Palisades Parkway, George Washington Bridge upper deck, just at the exist of the bridge take Henry Hudson Parkway South, then the street you need, for instance West 48 to go to your hotel.

Do not take 17 or Garden State Parkway down to Lincoln Tunnel, it's often jammed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Magister wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 4:19 pm
Yes, Roam Mobility, also make sure your phone support the same LTE band as T-Mobile else you can have 2G/3G speed only. Bought mine in Bureau en gros years ago.
I am using RM for years on my Zenfone2, easily have 30+Mbp/s, more in big city. Some spot in the Adirondacks you will have no cover.
For 5$CAD per day you have unlimited calls, unlimited SMS/MMS and 512MB per day, so for 4 days you will have 2GB for 20$CAD, not bad.
I recommend R M too. Get the SIM as suggested above and program the SIM to take effect the minute you cross the border.
The unlimited call includes calls to any phone line in Canada and the U S as well. R M is actually a Canadian company. So you can talk almost non-stop. In the highway of the U S, there are pockets here and there of blind spots. But if it is in populated areas (like towns and of course NYC) reception is good.
Be aware that even though you can call your Qc buddies free, they need to call L D to your R M #(U S#)
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5016 posts
820 upvotes
Montreal
Also, since RM is for the US, you pay GST on the days you buy but you avoid QPS.
Phils
Apr 20, 2009
105 posts
9 upvotes
What if you were already in the states and didn't preplan? Dumb I know but I'm in New Orleans for a week and can't find a reasonable sim and plan. Sales people are of no help and it's expensive. Have access to car and cam drive to major retailers... Anyone have any ideas??
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3227 posts
1579 upvotes
Everywhere
tckr wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 10:15 pm
What if you were already in the states and didn't preplan? Dumb I know but I'm in New Orleans for a week and can't find a reasonable sim and plan. Sales people are of no help and it's expensive. Have access to car and cam drive to major retailers... Anyone have any ideas??
T-Mobile has a 10gb prepaid plan for $50 and AT&T has a 6gb prepaid plan for $45.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
972 posts
84 upvotes
Will my IPhone 6s that I currently use here on the Bell network, will fully work with T-Mobile?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
manteiv wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 7:09 pm
Will my IPhone 6s that I currently use here on the Bell network, will fully work with T-Mobile?
My guess is that on the highway, you will get 2 g from T Mobile network - that means you do not get data. In populated areas along the highway you may get LTE.
In NYC you will get full LTE though.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5016 posts
820 upvotes
Montreal
manteiv wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 7:09 pm
Make sure it isn't locked to Bell. If it is, get Bell to unlock it.
Phils
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2412 posts
671 upvotes
Woodbridge
Does Apple do offline maps? Or can you get Google Maps on your iPhone to download offline maps? Might be a good backup in case you travel through an area with no signal or something else happens.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
972 posts
84 upvotes
jvnanu wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 8:21 am
Does Apple do offline maps? Or can you get Google Maps on your iPhone to download offline maps? Might be a good backup in case you travel through an area with no signal or something else happens.
as far as I know, Apple devices requires an active internet connection for the maps navigation

I have an old Nokia phone that I will bring along to serve that purpose. The Nokia phones in the past could have all the maps preloaded you want and will work without any cellular connection
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2412 posts
671 upvotes
Woodbridge
manteiv wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 3:25 pm
as far as I know, Apple devices requires an active internet connection for the maps navigation

I have an old Nokia phone that I will bring along to serve that purpose. The Nokia phones in the past could have all the maps preloaded you want and will work without any cellular connection
Good idea. Google Maps have a feature that allows you to download specific areas and use offline on any supported Android device. I believe you can download the Google Maps app on iOS and it might have the same functionality.