Driving an old car from Toronto to Winnipeg in winter

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2017 11:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2059 posts
320 upvotes
Sort of moving from Toronto but in Jan I know as crazy as it sounds but surely not doing it for fun.. kind of necessity.. Dont want let this Car go . Emotional decision.
I have travelled long distances like Toronto to Montreal and Quebec city but in Summer
No .. few days here or there are no big deal.. Reaching there in 3 days is not critical and I am a very calm person.
I would be pre booking 2 motels/hotels ( one in St Sue marie and one in thunder bay) so if I hit a snow storm mid way then I let go the next destination hotel unoccupied and search for something in between if need be. Does this how it work?
Travel days and Money spent on motels is no concern. Safety is most critical..
Whats this Red Indians thing ? I heard of them but didn't know that I need to take it into consideration. I will be going from Toronto to POint A ( ste Su Marie Hotel) to POint B ( Thuder Bay Hotel) to Winnipeg ( destination) .. Will use most of the stay time to sleep and relax. Eat food very nearby in Hotel/motel and not explore too much. Do they actively look for travellers to loot?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13936 posts
3583 upvotes
I understand, i am also very attached to my current vehicle.
Its the time of year, in a sense its worth not prebooking hotels at all, but i would typically only recommend that for experienced road warriors, trying to find one on a dime in a snowstorm is not for the faint of heart (if you have a cell phone with lots of data and good signal strength from start to destination then its more feasible). Are you going alone or with a travel partner?
Also if your going with a full car make sure you don't block your rear view mirror, for a long trip you should have it, pack your trunk, back seat and floor space very carefully. If you have to get at your spare tire though it won't be fun dealing with a snowstorm, perhaps add a tarp?

Perhaps you can drive there now, fly back here till Jan then fly back there? Rent or borrow a car for the rest of your time here?

Have you done a trip like this before? I posted a lot of detailed info on another thread a while back:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tips-lo ... e-1765347/
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jan 4, 2010
169 posts
41 upvotes
Waterloo
you should be fine, fresh oil change and just get it inspected by your mechanic before you go.
Jul 5, 2004
22330 posts
2182 upvotes
The reality is if you're on main roads there will be plenty of other vehicles. So even if you did break down and had no method of communication, there will be plenty of other vehicles. Prepare some winter gear in case of worst case scenario, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The car will probably make it just fine
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Jan 4, 2010
169 posts
41 upvotes
Waterloo
Yeah I'd bring some camping gear, propane stove, shovel, blankets, flash lights, some tools etc
just in case you get stranded by a storm or the car breaks down in the middle of no where
Dec 9, 2008
398 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
20 liter gasoline container, in case you do not find gas station, or get stranded and need to keep car running to shove the cold during a storm.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2059 posts
320 upvotes
tinbitz wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:19 am
Yeah I'd bring some camping gear, propane stove, shovel, blankets, flash lights, some tools etc
just in case you get stranded by a storm or the car breaks down in the middle of no where
yeah some items you mentioned are fine but tools ? what can I do if car breaks down ..Even with the tools I can't fix the car right.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2059 posts
320 upvotes
elkhaze wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:35 am
20 liter gasoline container, in case you do not find gas station, or get stranded and need to keep car running to shove the cold during a storm.
I get you but I will be filling when half gas tank is empty... even then you think I would need gas container?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1287 posts
349 upvotes
Don't overthink it. It's not like you're on an expedition into unexplored lands, lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7969 posts
990 upvotes
Markham
Watch the weather, if they forecast a snow storm coming to the route you travelling. Don't leave Toronto, wait few days until it's all clear.

OP, pls report back after your trip.
Share us your adventure. :)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 4, 2010
169 posts
41 upvotes
Waterloo
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:54 am
yeah some items you mentioned are fine but tools ? what can I do if car breaks down ..Even with the tools I can't fix the car right.....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
it's just a suggestion but it's up to you
Everyone I know who goes on long road trips got a set of tools and starting cable in the trunk with their spare.
Things go loose and sometimes you gotta tighten it before it actually "breaks down".
If you don't know what to do with them then I guess yeah it is pointless.

Have you ever thought of going south through the US and up, you will be driving through more urban roads. Safer in the winter. I have friends who go to school in Alberta and they go through that path. They said it was hell going through north ontario transcanada. (extremely boring, one lane road, slow (80-90km limit), being stuck behind trucks)
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2625 posts
1793 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:03 pm
Well Spare tire is good but this is a small donut tire and I feel it must be the original that came with Car and its very Dry. yes I will fill it up till 60PSI
Do you have a set of all-seasons aside from the new winter tires? It'd be better to take one of the full-size all-seasons with you for a long trip like this. Spares aren't meant to be driven more than 50km even on dry roads, and with some snow on the ground, it's downright dangerous to drive with 3 snow tires and a 14year old donut.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13936 posts
3583 upvotes
notfromqc wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 8:24 am
Don't overthink it. It's not like you're on an expedition into unexplored lands, lol
I agree. Being winter appropriate outerwear, a shovel a bag of sand and a wrench, multi screwdriver and a cell phone with car charger (and auto club membership) is probably sufficient. A tarp may be good for flat tire removal to protect possessions from the ground. Phone mount or car GPS is nice, GPS running while driving is helpful to pass the time. Are you going alone OP?
Keep this in mind if going through the US (And even check for Canada)
https://gpstracklog.com/2014/07/gps-win ... f-u-s.html
I reiterate don't get any car work done (even oil change) just before leaving a week to two weeks is better to iron out problems. The big wildcard here is snowstorms.
Also i typically fill up at 1/4-1/8 tank, half tank just wastes travel time, though in winter in snowstorms it may actually be wise. There are probably apps and websites that will calculate where to fill up, its always nice to know where stations are before you leave so your not scrambling to find one, especially in winter.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6368 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
One tool I use before and during long trips is the radar service provided by Environment Canada. This allows you to "see" the weather coming your way so you know what to expect. Here is a link to King City which covers the GTA: https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=wkr There are radar stations all across Canada so you can check your route all the way. Just to emphasize - this is radar so shows what is happening now and over the last hour. It is not a forecast.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2059 posts
320 upvotes
Thanks everyone.
I will try to reply in one go
I will be driving alone. Wife and kid taking flight.
we will be moving there so car will have some cargo.most things I am selling . only big item I am thinking if I can take is a 40 inch tv ( it might cost 1000 or so dollars to buy new tv so trying to be cheap. may be it will fit in rear side legspace standing. I have packaging. Is it worth taking or should I just sell?
I can't go through US. I am not a Canadian citizen but a PR
Can't take full all season tire as it will take cargo space. anyways size is slight different than the winter tire.
I will have around 10 days window. Hopefully I will get 3 or 4 clear days...
yet to find accomodation in winnipeg which is near to a school( preferably walking distance) . can airbnb work?
Last edited by Asker123 on Nov 16th, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.