Driving an old car from Toronto to Winnipeg in winter

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 8:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Will this be crazy idea if I can ship it to Winnipeg?
I know car might be worth 3000 bucks if I sell and the shipping might be 1000 or 1200 bucks but trust me , I won't be able to get a car of this quality for 3000 bucks over there.
Along with being mechanically sound, car is mint inside out..zero rust
Call me cheap and crazy if you like but is this even.an.option in your opinion?
2200 kms is long and winter trip does seem to comeup with some risk. Initially I was just thinking that may be car can give issues but road condition of winter might not spare even a good driver..
What you guys think
Nov 6, 2013
497 posts
228 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just drive the car, take the precautions and don't rush it. You will be fine.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
Drive this week, fly back, use the shipping money elsewhere. Rent a vehicle if need be or use the TTC if you live in the center of the universe.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27336 posts
1779 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 4:22 pm
I suggest you get rid of it too. There is a higher risk of the screen cracking in the cold temperatures.

The most important thing you can do to ensure your safety is to not do this trip alone. Find a friend to keep you company and awake. If something happens, you won't be alone. Pay for a flight back or a train.
my monitor is just fine, and i drove in december
Aug 17, 2008
890 posts
277 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:45 pm
Sort of moving from Toronto but in Jan I know as crazy as it sounds but surely not doing it for fun.. kind of necessity.. Dont want let this Car go . Emotional decision.
Reaching there in 3 days is not critical and I am a very calm person.
I would be pre booking 2 motels/hotels ( one in St Sue marie and one in thunder bay) so if I hit a snow storm mid way then I let go the next destination hotel unoccupied and search for something in between if need be. Does this how it work?
Couple of thoughts:
(1) Having battery fully drained will significantly shorten the life of your battery. If you are moving to Winnipeg, a block heater is pretty much essential. A block heater will ease the load on your battery at start-up, as well as help protect the engine, If you don't have a block heater already get one installed (only a few brands automatically include block heaters in standard equipment for all Canadian cars, most brands do not and leave it for dealer/after market shops to provide block heater). PS: most hotels/motels in Winnipeg and Northern Ontario will have a few block heater outlets for guests to use. Have a extension cord with you.

(2) as for drive itself, I agree with everyone that you don't need to get overly concerned. Check the weather forecast before you leave, and adjust your plans if necessary. If you encounter a big storm, just take it easy and get a hotel elsewhere.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11906 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto
2003 with 150K is not that old or high mileage. What I would do is the following:

- Put a new battery in with a high CCA level. Your battery group is 51R and the biggest that comes is 500 CCA. Canadian Tire sells their eliminator battery which is made by East Penn and has a 4 year warranty on it. Keep the papers in the glove box and you will be fine anywhere there is a Canadian Tire.

- Get your coolant tested to see how the strength is for low temps. Since it has been 5 years, I would change the coolant AND thermostat with the Original Honda fluids and parts and that should give you no problems. Make sure the vehicle works well BEFORE the trip and keep an eye on the temp gauge as it should not stay too low or high.

- Make sure your headlight covers are clean as cars get the frosty lens over time due to UV lights and plastic covers. Cleaning up the headlight covers and replace BOTH headlight bulbs will give you good visibility on unlit roads.

- Change your wiper blades to a hybrid beam type which will give you good visibility. Also use the Rainx deice fluid that is good for -40 c. It is on sale these days and much better then the cheap blue stuff that frosts the windows when the alcohol evaporates and creates more issues.

- Keep the air pressure at value set in the manual or door placard. In fact, no harm adding a couple PSI as air pressure drops when it is cold and tires become underinflated.

- Change the engine air filter as that will also give your car better airflow.

- You can keep a bottle of Gasline Anti Freeze that you can put in and keep the gas tank full at all times.

- It might not be a bad idea to get the car checked over so that steering linkages, rods, etc. are all good and tight.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27336 posts
1779 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 5:21 am
You didn't have a 40" TV
monitor is just a smaller tv, also drove past winnipeg to saskatoon, then came back in January.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
divx wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 1:37 pm
monitor is just a smaller tv, also drove past winnipeg to saskatoon, then came back in January.
Key word is smaller. Bigger items will tend to flex more when propped up in the back seat
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Have been spending time to study the map.
Thinking to divide the journey in 4 days rather than 3
Road till north bay seems like piece of cake given my experience ( ofcouse not in a snow blizzard) so I think I can drive till temiskaming shore on day 1 given some clear weather.
Hearst on day 2
Upsala days 3
and Winnipeg on days 4
Is it easy finding hotel / motel at these places if I just go without booking?
Let me know if you have other ideas
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41595 posts
10237 upvotes
Stay in the GTA? :)

Just kidding. Don't ship the car, just drive it. Is it really in January (dead winter) that you have to drive or can travel a little earlier?

I may have missed a few posts in that regard.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
4 days is fine, the number of days is not as important as the weather and black ice. Two things that are down to luck.
Also if you like music then prepare a few days worth of your own, on USB or CDs or whatever medium your car takes, just in case the radio is out, far enough from civilization there may be no stations

Perhaps check ins with your family at each stop (even a regularly scheduled text) is a good idea, if you miss a few they can call in the cavalry (Police)?
However if your out of cell reception for a long time then you can't check in, so not sure if it would work, check network coverage before you plan this idea?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
There must be car storage services in your city, could you keep the car with one of them for a few months, fly back in spring then drive the car down?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)