Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:45 pm
Ten Must-Have Emergency Items You Need in Your Car
These are the things you should have in your car at all times.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... s/?slide=9
I have no booster or shovel but have most of the others. I like that blanket though, windbreaking and warmth in one blanket, i just have one of those foil windbreakers and have not seen that type of blanket for sale anywhere. I would add hat/gloves to the list.
Actually i do have the booster but keep it at home and half charged to extend its life, from the B&D RFD deal a couple years back
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Dec 13, 2014
47 posts
9 upvotes
Unionville, ON
just make sure your vehicle is in top notch shape before taking on a road trip
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12151 posts
1938 upvotes
London
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:31 pm
Have been spending time to study the map.
Thinking to divide the journey in 4 days rather than 3
2 days
Toronto to Madison WI is 12 hrs driving, less 1 hr for time zone change = 11 hrs
Madison to Winnipeg is 11 hrs

If you start at 6am, you'll be off the road by 9pm (avoid rush hours in Chicago and Minneapolis

It's divided interstate all the way with full services at most interchanges with cheap gas, food

Better weather further south. Interstates get priority plowing and salting. Smaller lake effect sections London to Windsor and another section about 2 hrs east of Chicago
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
^
Guess you missed earlier part of the thread
Can't go through US. Don't have visa and don't want to go through there either with a car loaded with household stuff
May 9, 2010
283 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:31 pm
Have been spending time to study the map.
Thinking to divide the journey in 4 days rather than 3
Road till north bay seems like piece of cake given my experience ( ofcouse not in a snow blizzard) so I think I can drive till temiskaming shore on day 1 given some clear weather.
Hearst on day 2
Upsala days 3
and Winnipeg on days 4
Is it easy finding hotel / motel at these places if I just go without booking?
Let me know if you have other ideas
This sounds very reasonable drive and timeline. You won't have any problems finding hotels in those areas that time of year (or anytime really).
May 17, 2012
896 posts
350 upvotes
grand valley
you're waaay overthinking this. fuel and load up the car and go

i'd recommend the hwy 17 route over hwy 11 as the latter is extremely boring and adds time. hwy 17 is a must-see, one of the nicest drives in ontario -- time it so you're driving daylight hours.

you could do this trip in 2 days. toronto to wawa or white river or marathon and wawa/white river/marathon to winnipeg.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
esoxhntr wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:34 pm
you're waaay overthinking this. fuel and load up the car and go

i'd recommend the hwy 17 route over hwy 11 as the latter is extremely boring and adds time. hwy 17 is a must-see, one of the nicest drives in ontario -- time it so you're driving daylight hours.

you could do this trip in 2 days. toronto -> wawa or white river and wawa/white river to winnipeg.
I disagree, he is not overthinking this, first time long distance multi day road trip, dead of winter, country roads, no cell reception, this is serious business. I've done 1600km a day over mountainous terrain and 5000km+ road trips and i am very concerned.
The OP is a braver man then I.
May 17, 2012
896 posts
350 upvotes
grand valley
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:38 pm
I disagree, he is not overthinking this, first time long distance multi day road trip, dead of winter, country roads, no cell reception, this is serious business. I've done 1600km a day over mountainous terrain and 5000km+ road trips and i am very concerned.
The OP is a braver man then I.
these are not country roads, hwy 11 is the trans canada hwy. hwy 17 is a major artery. i've done plenty of long distance drives as well and i'm telling you, you're both way overthinking this.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
esoxhntr wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:43 pm
i've done plenty of long distance drives as well and i'm telling you, you're both way overthinking this.
Good
Overthinking is harmless here, near the center of the universe seeing cars in ditches is common so better to be overprepared unless the OP is going spend mucho dollars in bogus over preparation...
Apr 21, 2009
110 posts
21 upvotes
I do a lot of driving up north. Weather up there changes quickly. And when it snows, it comes down quick, and accumulates fast because there's nobody on the roads. Plows don't get out right away either. You should be fine so long as you give yourself time. Driving in a snow squall or white out conditions is no fun. Especially when tractor trailers are breezing by you as if you're standing still. If you run into a storm, just hit a hotel or park for a while.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Thats fine folks. No harm in listening to different opinions.
If I do go , I would rather take it as 4-5 days mini vacation so that I don't rush and take it easy.
Ice is ice so can't ignore that ...right
Boring is ok. Its a relative term. I am fixed on hwy 11 now. Its more straight.not taking twisty hwy 17 .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Question - When do I inform insurance company about address change? Still haven't decided where we will live in Winnipeg for initial period but when I will travel, my current address won't be the correct I guess. If we do end up in a studio 6 sort of acomodation initially, can I use that as my address.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6851 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like you're all set. Emergency kit with blankets candles and everything.
I remember the guy on here who planned the trek to the Yukon from Toronto in a corolla hatchback.
Not sure if he ever did it or survived but Manitoba will be piece of cake for this mobile as you've maintained it well.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7601 posts
2518 upvotes
ON
Talk to your insurance company now - do they offer services in MB?
Will they cover you until the end of your policy once you move?
Will they refund part of the year if they don't offer services in MB?
etc.

If they won't refund and they'll continue to cover you, then let the policy run its course and sign up with MB insurance then.
You'll need to update your license (and health card) to the new province of residence within 3 months of a permanent move (permanent being a move >3 months with the exception if it's only for school), that rule is the same across Canada, AFAIK.
Last edited by aqnd on Nov 26th, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 12:08 pm
Seems like you're all set. Emergency kit with blankets candles and everything.
I remember the guy on here who planned the trek to the Yukon from Toronto in a corolla hatchback.
Not sure if he ever did it or survived but Manitoba will be piece of cake for this mobile as you've maintained it well.
Lol on " whether he survived" ..I really hope he did..
As far as my trip is concerned, considering everyone's advice and my gut feeling, seems like car will make it through. Weather and road conditions are now my no1 concern. I am still about 80% sure that I will take this trip..still got Dec to think more..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)