• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 8:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Thx aqnd
Does not seem.like johnson provide insurance in Manitoba.
I put some random Winnipeg postal code in their online quote and it says, call us
For ontario, their system provides online quote
Not sure they will refund the rest of months
Will call my agent tomorrow.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20849 posts
2020 upvotes
RFD made some good recommendations already..

Before going, make sure to pack a full size spare tire and verify the tools to install it work!! The last thing you want is a flat tire and donut that can't go on the highway!
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 1:07 pm
RFD made some good recommendations already..

Before going, make sure to pack a full size spare tire and verify the tools to install it work!! The last thing you want is a flat tire and donut that can't go on the highway!
And retorque the bolts on the tires, without a good breaker bar many garage tightened ones can be very difficult to remove.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Torque is non issue.
Nowadays I swap my tires myself and torque properly. I have 4 full size all season tire of which I can take one but will the full size tire fit in.the space for donut in the sedan? If no then it will take extra space. The trunk floor won't fit snug on.a full size tire I guess so.I will compromise cargo space
Another issue my full size is 205 65 15 but I have 4 winter tires as 195 65 15...how will that work?

Edit : ok so diff in two sizes diameter is only 1/2 inch so should be ok I guess
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 3:47 pm
Torque is non issue.
Nowadays I swap my tires myself and torque properly. I have 4 full size all season tire of which I can take one but will the full size tire fit in.the space for donut in the sedan? If no then it will take extra space. The trunk floor won't fit snug on.a full size tire I guess so.I will compromise cargo space
Another issue my full size is 205 65 15 but I have 4 winter tires as 195 65 15...how will that work?

Edit : ok so diff in two sizes diameter is only 1/2 inch so should be ok I guess
Excellent. As long as they are the same bolt pattern which they must be if you use them in spring/summer/fall they will work, 1/2 an inch is not terrible, though you always want the grippiest tire on the back though ideally all 4 should be identical. If you get a rear flat though pulling one off the front, putting your non winter spare on it then moving that grippier tire to the rear in a winter storm is not going to be realistic. Do you have an auto club membership (forget if you said so or not). If not CT auto club is half price, till today/tomorrow maybe not not sure when.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
I have TD auto delux club through my infinite visa credit card..used them.couple of times for jumping the battery.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Ya I see that he never updated. Thats shame. Although strangers but this forum.is a community and it is mean.to.ask.suggestions and at the end never update anyone.what a waste of time.
My case is different. I am a man of values so won't waste people's time.
As I said 80% i am going 20% i am not.
If eventually i do decide not to drive , still i am coming back here to thank you all at least .
Oct 18, 2013
551 posts
110 upvotes
Brampton
Once drove my 2003 Honda Accord v6
From Vancouver to Toronto.
After a minor collision repaired under the table
The rad and condenser were still bent in. Although working.
Car had 100k at time.
I did get caa worried rad might leak out
Nothing happened car was fine.
But now that I think
Of it, it was a stupid thing to do .
Dec 15, 2015
156 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Mechanically I wouldn't worry to much. You sound like you take care of your car. Double check your spare, bring a volt meter, oil, a flashlight, quarters (for a pay phone) and a form of duct tape ( The rubberized gorilla tape is great). Maybe an emerg kit also; bandaids, cones, and one of those insulated blankets.

You mention you are worried about your battery and cold starts, if you know where you are staying, give them a call and ask if you're allowed to run a cord for a block heater? If you are unsure, maybe bring an extension cord just in case as well.

If you are driving in the January, double check along your routes that studded tires or chains are not mandatory. I know once you hit certain areas the laws change. Otherwise with a decent set up snows your likely okay.

Sounds like you are already over prepared and just covering your bases, I like it haha.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Full size tire wont fit the space for donut tire. Its too thick so it wont let the cover close properly hence it will reduce the trunk space
I have 2 choices
1) Replace the current 14 year old donut tire with a new one.
2) Keep the donut tire in trunk but take the full size tire on the back seat or in the leg space of the backseat. Either way I am reducing cargo space of the car

What do you guys think?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2107 posts
347 upvotes
Edmonton
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2017 11:14 pm
Will this be crazy idea if I can ship it to Winnipeg?
I know car might be worth 3000 bucks if I sell and the shipping might be 1000 or 1200 bucks but trust me , I won't be able to get a car of this quality for 3000 bucks over there.
Along with being mechanically sound, car is mint inside out..zero rust
Call me cheap and crazy if you like but is this even.an.option in your opinion?
2200 kms is long and winter trip does seem to comeup with some risk. Initially I was just thinking that may be car can give issues but road condition of winter might not spare even a good driver..
What you guys think
I will be honest. 2200km is NOT a long trip. And doing it in the winter also doesn't make too much of a difference. I have driven so much that in the end, it's just another drive. Most important for me would be to make sure I have enough junk food.

And on top of that, I have driven that route and farther, in winter, and unless I knew of a good place to stay and kick back and relax, I would just do it in one day. Two years ago I drove middle of winter 27 hours straight, this one shouldn't be as bad (in a rwd truck too, so this one should be "safer" by RFD standards)

OP your over thinking it. Just get into the car and go
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2107 posts
347 upvotes
Edmonton
Asker123 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:17 pm
Full size tire wont fit the space for donut tire. Its too thick so it wont let the cover close properly hence it will reduce the trunk space
I have 2 choices
1) Replace the current 14 year old donut tire with a new one.
2) Keep the donut tire in trunk but take the full size tire on the back seat or in the leg space of the backseat. Either way I am reducing cargo space of the car

What do you guys think?
I would grab a newer donut from the junkyard if you are really that worried
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
So confirmed that johnson does not offer auto insurance in Manitoba
Then when do I cancel my policy with them?
My lease of current apartment in Toronto will end at 31 jan but I might leave after 18th.
Do I have to cancel from the date when I leave or from the date I reach there or from 01 feb. Another problem, I have still not figured accomodation in Winnipeg so I guess I need to decide that before someone can give me insurance in Winnipeg.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7601 posts
2518 upvotes
ON
Your current policy is valid anywhere you drive in Canada+US.
If they won't give you a refund as of the date you move and change to MB ins, then just use your ON insurance until it expires and have MB lined up to replace it on renewal date.
Of course, you'll need an MB address to do so.