Driving an old car from Toronto to Winnipeg in winter <Completed successfully>

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2018 11:54 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Asker123 wrote: Called a Honda dealer and tell you what,,,, They gave estimates of 1200 dollars to put a block heater in .. What a bunch of thieves....
Hence why they are called stealerships.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Asker123 wrote: Original honda is 118 dollars
Aftermarket is 68 dollars
https://www.amazon.ca/Zerostart-310-000 ... B002UNAT1A
Is original worth extra 50 bucks?
For suspension, brake or engine parts I would go for OEM original. For that part aftermarket is fine imo.
Dec 13, 2014
67 posts
13 upvotes
Unionville, ON
radeonboy wrote: For suspension, brake or engine parts I would go for OEM original. For that part aftermarket is fine imo.
I would go OEM parts for block heater, you don't want your vehicle to go up in flames.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
Asker123 wrote: Yeah..the dealer thought I am born yesterday.
Found out that tha part is 140 dollars but even my trusted mechanic quoted me 100 dollars to install. I don't think.this is 100 dollar job to install but whatever...
so $240 for the work that dealer wanted $1200, i think you came out ahead.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
JustintimeLOL wrote: I would go OEM parts for block heater, you don't want your vehicle to go up in flames.
That is a good point, but wouldn't that be caused due to poor installation? Anyway better not to chance it then with anything to do with oil/fire risk. Go OEM like JustintimeLOL said, you still save a lot of $$
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Asker123 wrote: Original honda is 118 dollars
Aftermarket is 68 dollars
https://www.amazon.ca/Zerostart-310-000 ... B002UNAT1A
Is original worth extra 50 bucks?
I would go for OEM, 50 bucks is not a lot to spend for less likelihood of leaks later on and hopefully longer service life.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
I wouldn’t bother with a block heater. Waste of money IMO.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Solsearchin1 wrote: I wouldn’t bother with a block heater. Waste of money IMO.
Because it is Winnipeg...
— — — — — — — — — — — —
The end came for me (for light roast coffee) when the tasting notes at a light roast shop in Portland said: "Hints of citrus, star anise & coffee" - Unknown on the internet
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
So what? Your gas engine will be fine in the cold. Diesel is another story. I drive down to Shilo, Manitoba yearly in the dead of winter. No issues over a few weeks of cold as **** weather. It's not necessary IMO but your car, your choice.
Asker123 wrote: Because it is Winnipeg...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Cell phones aren't necessary, but they sure make life easier.

Air bags aren't necessary, but they make driving safer.

Etc.

Choose what you want to give up on. But a block heater in winterpeg is definitely a good return on investment when you get a faster start, a warmer vehicle, and reduce the chance of failure due to cold.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Well I already bought the part. Its matter of installation now.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
The end came for me (for light roast coffee) when the tasting notes at a light roast shop in Portland said: "Hints of citrus, star anise & coffee" - Unknown on the internet
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Ok block heater installed @ ivan. What a gentleman. He did oil change as well in the same price as a parting gift ( I supplied oil and filter).
Going to test the block.heater tomm.
All set for winter trip.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
At AlTech auto right now. Getting alignment done. Never did it for last 5 years. Better get it checked before a 2000kms trip. 70 bucks is good price.
Rear tires had lots of toe ..he corrected it....
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Asker123 wrote: At AlTech auto right now. Getting alignment done. Never did it for last 5 years. Better get it checked before a 2000kms trip. 70 bucks is good price.
Ivan doesn't do alignments?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: At AlTech auto right now. Getting alignment done. Never did it for last 5 years. Better get it checked before a 2000kms trip. 70 bucks is good price.
You bought car five years ago? Maybe it hasn't gone with a wheel alignment since 2002. :) Closest Honda dealership charges $140. May need to pay A1 a visit.

Do they accept bookings or is it first come first served?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Quentin5 wrote: Ivan doesn't do alignments?
alanbrenton wrote: You bought car five years ago? Maybe it hasn't gone with a wheel alignment since 2002. :) Closest Honda dealership charges $140. May need to pay A1 a visit.

Do they accept bookings or is it first come first served?
I rather went to AlTech auto, rfd's fav for wheel.alignment. tried my luck by reaching early there and it worked. He took me in. Charged 70 bucks. Caster and camber was ok but toe was screwed up for rear wheels. He fixed it.

Later today went to pacific mall to buy some stuff I might not get in.winnipeg. You know what my boy bought..A Mercedes G Wagon toy..boy even toy has such a better quality...Go there sometimes. pricing is decent and you need to bargain. Traffic around that place is crazy...but then well whole GTA is same story...
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Looks like you're all ready to go. best of luck on your new career / family life in Winnipeg.

If you decide to come back to Toronto, i am sure you don't have to undo all those changes. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
alanbrenton wrote: Looks like you're all ready to go. best of luck on your new career / family life in Winnipeg.

If you decide to come back to Toronto, i am sure you don't have to undo all those changes. :)
Thanks. I normally do not take any decision in haste. Toronto has become too big a city for my taste. ocean of people and cars... By heading west. hopefully I will find some peace in the middle of the country...4 day trip should clear my mind....we will see career later....
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Bought a NOCO gb70 portable batter booster @40% off from amazon ( deal ends in 3 hours if any one interested) . will come handy
BTW I tested the Block heater on the weekend. works great
Last edited by Asker123 on Dec 18th, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Thank you Toronto and Hello Winnipeg.....
Arrived a few hours back in Winnipeg..
I had chosen last three days as travel based on weather conditions. Wednesday , Thursday and today Friday , the nature God smiled on me and I arrived here safe and sound ( Car is fine too) .
Tired of course and as I don't have to drive tomorrow so I will be sleeping extra tonight ....
More updates tomorrow......
— — — — — — — — — — — —

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)