• Dec 14th, 2017 8:30 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:46 pm
Then when do I cancel my policy with them?
You don’t cancel until you settle in Manitoba with a fixed address.
Jun 23, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
Car is almost new, no worries about, battery almost new, should be fine, block heater would be useful, unfortunately is missing, the most important things in your case, in my opinion, mecanicly speaking would be tires, battery and coolant fluid. Only one other pearson meantion it. You don't want to wake up one mornind, after a very cold night, with a pregnant radiator.
Check the weather, don't drive fast and keep the distance from the vehicle ahead. Fill up the tank at half on 1/3, slow down to a crowl in a squal, if you can't see ahead, you can't stop if necessary. Wild life on the road at night can be a problem, collisions with a moose is almost allways deadly. What I am trying to say, I will be less worry about car and more about your driving experience, knowing to control a skidind car on icy road and so on. You can use your mats when stuck on snow sometimes. Unfortunately an automatic transmision is not as good as manual on snowy/icy roads, but is doable.
And if I were you I would get rid of the tv if possible.
With good planning and calm you will make it, I am sure.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13661 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
cappatrat wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:06 am
You don't want to wake up one mornind, after a very cold night, with a pregnant radiator.
Man, this is a very strange way of describing something, have you experienced this personally? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Jun 23, 2017
12 posts
2 upvotes
Unfortunately yes, it did happened to me some years ago. The coolant was recently changed by mr lube, supposed to wistand the canadian winter, and yet it froze. Had to change the radiator. Funny enough it was a honda accord.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
cappatrat wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:09 am
Unfortunately yes, it did happened to me some years ago. The coolant was recently changed by mr lube, supposed to wistand the canadian winter, and yet it froze. Had to change the radiator. Funny enough it was a honda accord.
I have Type 2 coolant. Got it changed in front of my eyes ( I supplied the coolant) in 2012 and my mechanic had added some more after while a repair work ( of heater valve)
I know it should be changed every 5 years but I am holing off any repair/service on this car till I am actually reach there so I am not worried about coolant at all.
Block heater... yes .. I want to get it installed but not sure I should do it here or after reaching there. Here Block heater are not normal and I wont be able to test so if installed incorrectly etc , I wont have chance to get it fixed. Thinking of getting it installed by a dealer once I am in Winnipeg.I know it can help.

But if I get it installed now, I will be able to make use of it during 4 days trip so not sure what to do. May be I would just live with portable booster for the trip and install the black heater over there
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:11 pm
Your current policy is valid anywhere you drive in Canada+US.
If they won't give you a refund as of the date you move and change to MB ins, then just use your ON insurance until it expires and have MB lined up to replace it on renewal date.
Of course, you'll need an MB address to do so.
Gee wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:43 pm
You don’t cancel until you settle in Manitoba with a fixed address.
Ok so let me see if I got it correctly
I was under impression that once I leave this Toronto address and settle in Winnipeg, my insurance need to change immediately. That does not seems to be the case as you guys told.
I knew that I can live temporarily and drive in Winnipeg on the current policy if I would have been just visiting but will it be ok if I am shifting permanently over there.
See My current address will be valid till 31 Jan. I would leave first approx 20 Jan or so and then later around 28 or 29 Jan my wife and kid will come by flight.
How crazy it may sound but I have not yet figured out accommodation over there so may be we might settle down in Studio 6 sort of accommodation( if they have any) for a few weeks.
So should I just call and tell my insurance company of that studio's address?
Indeed my policy expires in Aug so I am really interested in letting it continue till it expires of its own. That way I have one less thing to do in coming months
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:16 pm
Indeed my policy expires in Aug so I am really interested in letting it continue till it expires of its own. That way I have one less thing to do in coming months
You need a fixed address before they can properly quote you on insurance.

You should not wait till August, it will probably be cheaper in Manitoba than Ontario.

If you’re living in a hotel in the short term, leave the insurance. As soon as you find a house to rent, then switch insurance. If that’s March, then do it in March. Hopefully you will not be in a hotel till August.
Last edited by Gee on Dec 3rd, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:21 pm
You need a fixed address before they can propers quote you on insurance.

You should not wait till August, it will probably be cheaper in Manitoba than Ontario.

If you’re living in a hotel in the short term, leave the insurance. As soon as you find a house to rent, then switch insurance. If that’s March, then do it in March. Hopefully you will not be in a hotel till August.
ha ha yes not until Aug in hotel for sure but one month is quite possible.
Just to be clear so unless I do settle in fixed address in Winnipeg, I still need to tell my current insurance company that I am not living on my current address right?

That takes me to the next question - What about Driver's licence and Car plates... For how long ( if allowed) can I drive in Winnipeg with my Ontario license and Ontario plates?
Will the car registration/ change of plates over in Manitoba will require safety test etc again? Everything in car is good including brakes ..Its just that brakes are now approaching 4 mm ( they function well though. I service them every year myself) but I guess you need certain thickness to pass safety test. I was thinking to get brakes changed after reaching there not now..

Also for all bank and other purposes , I am just thinking to give a friend's address ( of Toronto) till I figure my things over there....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7601 posts
2518 upvotes
ON
You'll need to register the vehicle in MB (likely includes a safety - check MB details on the process) and convert your license within 90 days of residing there.
Your current insurance should cover you until the policy ends, or they should give a refund of unused months. Keep them notified of the changes as they happen.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:54 pm
Just to be clear so unless I do settle in fixed address in Winnipeg, I still need to tell my current insurance company that I am not living on my current address right?

That takes me to the next question - What about Driver's licence and Car plates... For how long ( if allowed) can I drive in Winnipeg with my Ontario license and Ontario plates?
Will the car registration/ change of plates over in Manitoba will require safety test etc again?

Also for all bank and other purposes , I am just thinking to give a friend's address ( of Toronto) till I figure my things over there....
I wouldn’t bother telling the insurance anything till you get a fixed address. If you’re living in a hotel, I would assume that you’re on a month long vacation. Don’t mention you're leaving Ontario.

Same goes for plates and registration. Don’t do anything till you get settled with a fixed address. You will definitely need to do a safety in Manitoba.

Same also applies to bank information. No need to tell them anything till you get a fixed address. You can still access your banking anywhere in the country. Statements can be accessed online.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4854 posts
1273 upvotes
Space
You seem well prepared OP. You won't have any issues. Drive according to weather and you'll be fine. Driving at a constant speed for 700km is better than stop and go over 350km.

Only thing I'd recommend is to check your wheel torque and oil level as you say it burns.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:16 pm
I wouldn’t bother telling the insurance anything till you get a fixed address. If you’re living in a hotel, I would assume that you’re on a month long vacation. Don’t mention you're leaving Ontario.

Same goes for plates and registration. Don’t do anything till you get settled with a fixed address. You will definitely need to do a safety in Manitoba.

Same also applies to bank information. No need to tell them anything till you get a fixed address. You can still access your banking anywhere in the country. Statements can be accessed online.
Well I called my agent and told her the plan. At least she gave the information.
She said that the insurance can only remain valid for 30 days when you move. Road trip is different but when you move that is how it works.
So I have 30 days from Feb 01 to figure our Manitoba Insurance.
I dont know how challenging it can be ..Wouldn't that need changing Driver licence, plates too because you dont get insurance without those I guess.
At least now I know...Means I would need permanent address sooner than I thought..
May be I will ask this question in the specific insurance thread ( Is there any) .. Some RFDer would definitely help if he went through such process...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:51 am
She said that the insurance can only remain valid for 30 days when you move. Road trip is different but when you move that is how it works.
So I have 30 days from Feb 01 to figure our Manitoba Insurance.
If you’re staying in a hotel, you can call that an extended road trip. You officially move when you find a fixed address.

My first priority would be to find a rental for the family. It will take a few weeks. I expect it will be March before you get a permanent address. That’s when I would notify the insurance companies and the licence people, banks etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2003 posts
303 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:12 pm
If you’re staying in a hotel, you can call that an extended road trip. You officially move when you find a fixed address.

My first priority would be to find a rental for the family. It will take a few weeks. I expect it will be March before you get a permanent address. That’s when I would notify the insurance companies and the licence people, banks etc.
I get that ... So is it that I made a mistake calling my agent right now ( some people suggested it) . She is telling me that your insurance is based upon the province of your residence and need to be changed within 30 days of move.
See I didn't want to keep things unknown to them. She told me that she will send me " Letter of experience" which I need to take to Manitoba. She told me that they have Govt based insurance and they will hook me up. I told her about hotel thing but she says that is not how it works. Because I will not have an address in Toronto after Jan 31 hence my 30 days start after that date..I posted a question on Insurance thread. This is Pain to deal with Insurance people etc but seems like part of moving adventure... :-)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:25 pm
I get that ... So is it that I made a mistake calling my agent right now ( some people suggested it) . She is telling me that your insurance is based upon the province of your residence and need to be changed within 30 days of move.
They’re going to cancel your insurance after effective March 1 since you won’t have a Toronto address after February 1. I would not have called in.

That gives you enough time to find a place and hopefully get a permanent address. Even if you don’t move in right away.