• Dec 16th, 2017 5:53 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27351 posts
1782 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:35 pm
They’re going to cancel your insurance after effective March 1 since you won’t have a Toronto address after February 1. I would not have called in.

That gives you enough time to find a place and hopefully get a permanent address. Even if you don’t move in right away.
might as well change insurance asap, it is literally 1/3rd of the price of gta, muhahahahahaha, i changed it in the first week.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
divx wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:54 pm
might as well change insurance asap, it is literally 1/3rd of the price of gta, muhahahahahaha, i changed it in the first week.
Can’t switch without a fixed address? Using a Motel 6 as your address will not work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2010 posts
306 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:35 pm
They’re going to cancel your insurance after effective March 1 since you won’t have a Toronto address after February 1. I would not have called in.

That gives you enough time to find a place and hopefully get a permanent address. Even if you don’t move in right away.
Hmm.. Well I didn not call the 1800 number. I called the agent ( though she told that conversation is recorded) .
She told me that she will be letter of experience till today's date. I asked how come till today? She told -she can't put for future date. I told - my move is almost end of Jan. She told that call 1 week before 1800 number and they will send revised letter of experience. but I asked - By this action of her sending me the letter of experience , is my insurance impacted, she said NO. she asked me to call 1800
So I guess then after going there I will look for permanent address ASAP . Only catch I see is that if the insurance requires the driver licence and plates switch, will I be able to do it within one month. Oh boy...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7607 posts
2520 upvotes
ON
Did you give them a specific end date? (probably a mistake - what happens if you don't actually move until March 1st, for example?)
If not, then your policy is effective until you notify them of your new permanent address.
Aug 7, 2014
349 posts
115 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:10 pm

Block heater... yes .. I want to get it installed but not sure I should do it here or after reaching there.
I would install it before the trip because (a) you can use it during the trip if the temperature dips below minus 30C at night, and (b) you definitely need it in Winnipeg in cold late January and the temperature could be so cold that you might not start and bring the car to the mechanic to have the block heater installed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2010 posts
306 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 6:36 pm
Did you give them a specific end date? (probably a mistake - what happens if you don't actually move until March 1st, for example?)
If not, then your policy is effective until you notify them of your new permanent address.
I did not call to cancel my insurance yet.I had left a voice message to Agent and she called me back. She just told me that she will send me experience letter and my policy is still valid.
I think I need to call the 1800 and get this sorted out. I am leaving my apartment on 31 Jan. I have given notice to my apartment. There is no point hiding this fact from insurance company. God forbid if I do get into an accident after 31 Jan and they find out that my address is not what it is ( which they can easily find out) then I am toast ..right
So better keep honest.
Now problem is after Jan 31 , what is the correct way for switching the insurance? Agent is the one who sold me the policy . She is not the 1800 number agent. I was only surprised that I would have 30 days and she told thats the law. Not sure if I should call 1800 and get this clarified.
Its always better to be truthful to Insurance I guess
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 6:04 pm
So I guess then after going there I will look for permanent address ASAP . Only catch I see is that if the insurance requires the driver licence and plates switch, will I be able to do it within one month. Oh boy...
Finding a permanent residence should be your first priority. While you can get a monthly rate for hotels, it is not ideal as it still costs more than renting.

I would still wait till you find a permanent address before doing anything with insurance, plates etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27351 posts
1782 upvotes
Winnipeg
op, you can deal with insurance switch over once you are settled, also get your block heater fixed in Ontario.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2010 posts
306 upvotes
yes Trying to find a furnished apartment to begin with. Let me see how lucky I get for that. Trying to get in a vicinity of a school ( perhaps walking distance :-)
any idea who puts a block heater here in Toronto? Dealer?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27351 posts
1782 upvotes
Winnipeg
just go to igarage and get all your car work done, it will cost you at least 50% more to do the same work out here. might as well get new battery, alternator, belts, suspension or any other parts that's near its life, remember once you get here and it doesn't pass inspection, it's 50% premium for any repair work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2010 posts
306 upvotes
divx wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:19 pm
just go to igarage and get all your car work done, it will cost you at least 50% more to do the same work out here. might as well get new battery, alternator, belts, suspension or any other parts that's near its life, remember once you get here and it doesn't pass inspection, it's 50% premium for any repair work.
Car is guaranteed to pass safety. I am very particular about it. Its just that brakes might be bit low ( perhaps 3 or max 4 mm) and I was thinking to get those changed over there. How much brake thickness is required for safety?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2010 posts
306 upvotes
OK calling a few dealers this week end to see who can install a block heater.

Regarding Donut tire - Still struggling with whether to buy a new donut tire or take an existing full size which will take much of cargo space in the car.
Longest distance without service is 200 kms from Hearst to Longlac. Can my new donut tire not take me 150 kms at lets say 70km/hour speed . I will put the hazard lights on and just drive it out.
Then this new docnut tire serve me for so many coming years there too...
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1540 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:37 pm
Regarding Donut tire - Still struggling with whether to buy a new donut tire or take an existing full size which will take much of cargo space in the car.
Longest distance without service is 200 kms from Hearst to Longlac. Can my new donut tire not take me 150 kms at lets say 70km/hour speed . I will put the hazard lights on and just drive it out.
Then this new docnut tire serve me for so many coming years there too...
You don't have a passenger. Just pull the front seat up a bit and put a full sized tire in the foot well behind it. It doesn't really take up that much space. A donut is supposed to be only good for up to 50km at 80km/h. Also if you hit any adverse weather, I wouldn't want to be rolling around on a donut.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

flamez1000