• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2015 12:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 26, 2011
19 posts

Driving out of province car in Ontario

I am a BC resident studying full time at a university in Ontario.

Assuming I buy a car, get a license plate and insure it all in BC, will I be able to drive this car in Ontario without buying insurance there ? The insurance there for new drivers are rediculously high.

Second question is, assuming that it is possible to drive an out of province insured car in Ontario, will I have to swap my license my bc license for an Ontario license? I heard somewhere that a student attending university is exempted. The reason why I don't want to swap it is because I have to give my class 5 license up and wait for nearly 2 years before I qualify for their class 5 (G).

Thanks people
7 replies
Jan 1, 2012
239 posts
33 upvotes
KINGSTON
danny6514 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 5:43 pm
I am a BC resident studying full time at a university in Ontario.

Assuming I buy a car, get a license plate and insure it all in BC, will I be able to drive this car in Ontario without buying insurance there ? The insurance there for new drivers are rediculously high.

Second question is, assuming that it is possible to drive an out of province insured car in Ontario, will I have to swap my license my bc license for an Ontario license? I heard somewhere that a student attending university is exempted. The reason why I don't want to swap it is because I have to give my class 5 license up and wait for nearly 2 years before I qualify for their class 5 (G).

Thanks people

Usually, the residency of a full-time undergraduate university student is determined by where their parents live.
Query ICBC though, they'll have the final say on payouts.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
How long will you be there? If you are there temporarily, as in just for the school year, and returning back to BC it's not a problem. If you are going to be living there permanently, you have to switch. If you have a full license in BC, you should receive a full license if you switch.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2011
19 posts
spf1971 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 5:56 pm
How long will you be there? If you are there temporarily, as in just for the school year, and returning back to BC it's not a problem. If you are going to be living there permanently, you have to switch. If you have a full license in BC, you should receive a full license if you switch.

I am in a co-op program so in addition to the school year, I also work in Toronto when I'm not in school. I do travel back to BC every 1 or 2 months for a week or so...

Apparantly I need 2 years of class 5 experience to be able to directly exchange for a G, otherwise I'll need to get a G2 first for 2 years, which is incredibly stupid.
Dec 9, 2006
189 posts
13 upvotes
North York
danny6514 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 10:39 pm
I am in a co-op program so in addition to the school year, I also work in Toronto when I'm not in school. I do travel back to BC every 1 or 2 months for a week or so...

Apparantly I need 2 years of class 5 experience to be able to directly exchange for a G, otherwise I'll need to get a G2 first for 2 years, which is incredibly stupid.

Yea when I swapped my Class 5 to an Ontario license I got extremely lucky, the guy didn't know what he was doing and allowed me a direct transfer to a class G even though I only had about a year experience on my Class 5 and he also didn't require me to surrender my BC license which he should have because it is illegal to hold more than one drivers license in Canada. As for your situation you can drive legally with valid BC plates and a valid BC license. The only downside is if your plates expire, you'll need to renew it in BC passing air care.
Sep 27, 2009
698 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
You can change your license or stay with the BC one, it is up to you. I am exactly in the same situation coming from Nova Scotia and nobody had a definite answer. I wrote an email to Service Ontario and this is the official answer:
Thank you for contacting ServiceOntario.

If a student is the registered owner of an out-of-province plated
vehicle and is not a resident of Ontario, the vehicle is exempt from
Ontario vehicle registration if the student lives or carries on business
here for less than six consecutive months in a calendar year and if the
vehicle complies with the licencing laws of the other jurisdiction. The
student must check the insurance company to find out if the vehicle will
be covered while it is being driven in Ontario.

If a student will be living or carrying on business in Ontario for more
than six consecutive months in any calendar year then they must apply
for a driver's licence within 60 days of taking up residence in Ontario.
Also, the vehicle must be registered in Ontario within 30 days when the
student takes up residence.

If a student is not a resident of Ontario and is not the registered
owner of an out-of-province plated vehicle and the vehicle is based and
operated in Ontario, it must be registered in Ontario. There is no
vehicle registration exemption period.

For more information please call:

ServiceOntario Driver and Vehicle Contact Centre
416-235-2999
1-800-387-3445 Toll Free across Canada
Staff available Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm Toronto time

To reach an agent please listen for the phone to be answered by the
automated voice attendant then press 1, 2, 3 and then zero.

For health card requirements please contact the Nova Scotia authorities
to see what their coverage will be in Ontario.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Visit us at: www.ServiceOntario.ca
So if you will be in Ontario less than six consecutive months you don't need to change your plate. But I am thinking even if you do stay, you can always claim that you went back to BC for a visit and it will "reset" that six month count. Personally I will wait to move and change my plate to Ontario if I can find cheaper insurance than what I am paying right now; that will decide if I switch or not.
Nov 3, 2004
912 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
Call your insurance company first. When i researched it, I was told that if the vehicle is out of province for more than 30 days, you are no longer covered for insurance after that.

If that is the case, then you can start worrying about switching a drivers license. Some companies will accept out of province licenses, some will not.
RFD Vigilante Post Moderator #1...
Sep 30, 2015
1 posts
DaHonga wrote:
Feb 25th, 2012 6:20 pm
Yea when I swapped my Class 5 to an Ontario license I got extremely lucky, the guy didn't know what he was doing and allowed me a direct transfer to a class G even though I only had about a year experience on my Class 5 and he also didn't require me to surrender my BC license which he should have because it is illegal to hold more than one drivers license in Canada. As for your situation you can drive legally with valid BC plates and a valid BC license. The only downside is if your plates expire, you'll need to renew it in BC passing air care.
Hey Buddy, where did you exchange your license? I am in a similar situation as you and hope to meet that guy. HAHA
× < >