• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 8:45 pm
[OP]
Apr 18, 2009
927 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…

Driving to Philadelphia, rest stop along the way

Planning to drive to Philadelphia in the next few days.

Route will be 190S-90E to Syracuse-81S to Scranton and then 476S.

Are there any rest stops similar to the "enroute" stops along the way ? Or is it just the regular gas stations ?

I have flown to the US so many times. First time driving this far, farthest I have driven into the us is Niagara Falls.

Planning to cross the border early this Saturday , around 8 AM.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11630 posts
8864 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I-90 / NY State Thruway has stops exactly like we have with Enroute in Ontario... Gas & Fast Food, Convenience Store & Rest Rooms. Some even have Tim Hortons!

I-81 is just rest stops with washrooms and vending machines (mostly)... the first one into each state is also a Welcome Centre, those are usually bigger and sometimes have a Convenience Store. Along I-81 if you want gas you have to look for it at a regular exit... watch for signage, lol and those huge gas signs atop poles... hard to miss.

I-476 more like Enroutes with Gas & Services. They typically are built so both sides of the thruway access them, which makes them cool.

I-90 and I-476 are both Toll Roads. We typically get on the I-476 at Clark’s Summit so as to get the full benefit of the Scranton Wilkes Barre Area bypass. If gas is low we top up on Northern Blvd at the Exxon across the street from the Ramada / Hampton Inn, as there are no rest stops along the I-476 until you are well passed the cities.

BTW, there are websites dedicated to these Interstates & Thruways online that have additional info.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2009
927 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
Thanks and thanked.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2009
927 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
Google maps also suggests 400-20A- I390-I86-Bimghamton 81S.

Any suggestions about this route ?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11630 posts
8864 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Have not done the beginning portion of this route, 20-A... But have done many others in the area. It is a 2 lane road that connects thru to the Finger Lakes Area (rolling country side)... scenic but not a huge time saver vs I-90

If you opt for this more southwestern Interstate connection, I’d stick with I-90 thru to I-390 outside of Rochester.

Have not driven this route in awhile (last summer), so not up to date on any construction issues of late.... again you can google for info on each Interstate, as well as check on NY State Road Conditions here
https://511ny.org

And PA Road Conditions here
http://www.511pa.com

To be honest all things being equal (construction wise) it’s going to be 6 of one, and half dozen of the other... in regards to timing... Google Maps says maybe 10 Minutes difference.

WEATHER - As it is now late November, sadly we need to add this into the mix. These are fine roads the majority of the time, but no matter which way you head for Philly you are in “potential” bad weather sectors (Lake Effect Snow - rolling hills of NY & PA - Pocconos - Lehigh Valley - or a Nor’easter ripping up the Atlantic Coast). The good news is the road crews are awesome... but you should still take care, cause as we’ve discovered not everyone driving on the US Interstates have Winter Driving Experience (tons of out of state plates).
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 22nd, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2009
927 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
Thanks. I will stick with I90E and I81S.

Just checked out the I90 website.
Jul 20, 2012
645 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I was on I-90 and I-81 this past summer. There are rest stops along the way. Mostly vending machines, they're pretty clean. A good spot for gas is Sheetz. The convenience store that's attached has a wide selection of fast food. The coffee is good. Don't stop at the one by the outlet mall at Grove City.
DON'T speed, the limit is reduced to 55 mph by Erie. The average limit is 65 sometimes 70. If you stay in the right lane you'll be fine. The tractor trailers go as fast as they want, they use the left lane if they're in a hurry..