Automotive

Driving in QC with ON plates. Do i need them in the front?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 10:29 am
[OP]
Aug 18, 2015
38 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond, BC

Driving in QC with ON plates. Do i need them in the front?

I will be driving in QC for 2-3 months on my ON car and won't be back to ON during this time. I am curious whether I can drive in QC without the front license plate since there is no law in QC to have front license plates mandatory? If cops pull me,c an they give me a ticket?
8 replies
Jun 1, 2017
209 posts
118 upvotes
addictivemate wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:36 pm
I will be driving in QC for 2-3 months on my ON car and won't be back to ON during this time. I am curious whether I can drive in QC without the front license plate since there is no law in QC to have front license plates mandatory? If cops pull me,c an they give me a ticket?
Why ... Why is the biggest question here. You are going to take off your plate for 2-3 months and then put it back on just because?
[OP]
Aug 18, 2015
38 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Because my life depends on it :P I asked because I am curious and I did say that in my question..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8602 posts
1367 upvotes
Markham
I don't think cops in QC will give you a ticket for that, but this is just silly to do so.

You will just exposed the 2 drilled holes or a plain front license mount with nothing on it.

I would leave it on and save me 2 minutes for unscrew the plate off.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6490 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
addictivemate wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:36 pm
The legal framework for this is generally "Vehicles in this province must be registered here and comply with our laws on plates, tires, safety inspections, etc. Vehicles owned by non-residents that are complying with the laws of their jurisdiction are allowed to drive on our roads despite not being registered under our laws." (You can read the various provincial statutes, there are differences in wording)

This is why it's perfectly legal for a Quebec vehicle to drive in Ontario without a front licence plate - it is operated in compliance with Quebec laws that do not require a front license plate on Quebec vehicles, which validly exempts it from the requirement to be registered in Ontario and have Ontario plates on both the front and rear of the vehicle. This is also why you can get a ticket in Ontario for driving a vehicle with expired Quebec registration. This is also why you can drive an Ontario-plated vehicle in Quebec in winter without winter tires. Etc.

Also, it's worth noting that sometimes authorities like to crack down on out of province vehicles doing silly things. Many, many years ago, it was a popular thing in Quebec to ticket Ontario vehicles for expired registrations because many people don't know that Ontario registrations expire on a person's birthday, not at the end of the month, so if someone still had their July sticker for that year on their plate, Quebec cops would look up that plate and if the expiry day was July 2 and it's now July 3... boom, Quebec cop would ticket them. (It was harder for Ontario cops to retaliate because Quebec plates haven't had registration stickers since 1992, so they'd have to look up every single plate electronically)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17507 posts
1318 upvotes
Niagara Falls
You might be drawing unwanted attention to yourself. If you're there that long the cops might expect you to change your license and insurance info over. If you've removed your front plate they might think you've only done that because you're staying an extended period of time.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18799 posts
2064 upvotes
Montreal
Nonsense. Take off the plate. Stick it to the man. Fight the power!
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9534 posts
3812 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Take off both plates!
Oct 1, 2009
222 posts
51 upvotes
I have a feeling we're going to see a "how do I fight a ticket in QC"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)