Automotive

Driving with Quebec insurance/registration, and Ontario driver's licence

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2012 10:00 am
Tags:
None
Newbie
Mar 9, 2006
70 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Driving with Quebec insurance/registration, and Ontario driver's licence

So I was driving my car from Montreal to Toronto. I have been living in Montreal for 2 years, and I bought a car there. As most of you know the Quebec insurance/registration is one document because insurance and registration are both provincially controlled.

I was pulled over by police in Quebec, who told me to get Quebec licence which I never did. I also got pulled over by OPP and after giving my registration saying I just bought the car in Quebec they let me go. I was also followed by Toronto Police but nothing happened.

By the way I am 25 and although my insurance rate is set to go down now (I hope) I am still apprehensive about paying anything more than $100 dollars a month.

If I buy another car I plan on driving it to Quebec and registering it there. I have a friend who lives there and help me out. Because at the moment I am convinced this is the only way i can pay low rates, and as far as I can tell it is legal because nothing happened to me as I was pulled over.
12 replies
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
haha I see another person found out a way to pay cheap insurance premiums.
my buddy parents live in montreal and he works in toronto.
his car is registered, plated and insurance is from quebec, but he has both quebec and ontario driver's license.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 6, 2008
187 posts
2 upvotes
mtl
BMW_7 wrote:
May 31st, 2011 11:37 pm

If I buy another car I plan on driving it to Quebec and registering it there. I have a friend who lives there and help me out. Because at the moment I am convinced this is the only way i can pay low rates, and as far as I can tell it is legal because nothing happened to me as I was pulled over.

If you have an accident an the insurer find out... Well have fun with your finances in the future!
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 9, 2006
70 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
darkness_falls wrote:
May 31st, 2011 11:50 pm
If you have an accident an the insurer find out... Well have fun with your finances in the future!

Actually the Quebec insurance does not cover collision, it's only for bodily injury :D

PACKARDBELL, I know someone else who is doing what your friend is doing too. Unfortunately I am not blessed with a Montreal address.
Member
May 2, 2008
290 posts
58 upvotes
BMW_7 wrote:
May 31st, 2011 11:37 pm
...I have been living in Montreal for 2 years (...) I was pulled over by police in Quebec, who told me to get Quebec licence which I never did.
What's the issue here? You say you live in Montreal, so why haven't you got a Quebec license? Get one and your "problem" is solved. Unless you don't actually live in Montreal, which is another matter...
packardbell wrote:
May 31st, 2011 11:42 pm
haha I see another person found out a way to pay cheap insurance premiums.
my buddy parents live in montreal and he works in toronto.
his car is registered, plated and insurance is from quebec, but he has both quebec and ontario driver's license.
Having two valid driver's licenses in two different provinces is illegal.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
zekele wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 12:13 am
What's the issue here? You say you live in Montreal, so why haven't you got a Quebec license? Get one and your "problem" is solved. Unless you don't actually live in Montreal, which is another matter...



Having two valid driver's licenses in two different provinces is illegal.

it is illegal when someone finds out.

i have a valid hk license where i can exchange for another license.
Newbie
May 4, 2008
22 posts
11 upvotes
Your understanding of how insurance works in Quebec is way off. A proper example of state run insurance would be Manitoba Public Insurance whereas you pay approx. $1000/year for your registration and insurance through the same government agency. Your $250 yearly registration only authorizes your vehicle to use the public roadways and to display a licence plate. You are required by law to also carry liability insurance.

The only coverage you have right now is for yourself in the event a collision leaves you with a disability of some sort. You'd get compensation for it through the SAAQ. As of now you don't have any coverage for your vehicle nor any liability insurance. You have no coverage for your car or any property you might damage. You have no coverage whatsoever if your car gets stolen, vandalized or burns.

Most insurance policies start off at $1 000 000 for liability and then you can elect to get additional coverage for for collisions / fire / theft and vandalism.
Back when I lived in Quebec I only had liability insurance for my old clunker and It cost me $300 a year.

If you get stopped by someone that knows what they're doing you can expect a tow truck to show up and a nasty fine.
Member
May 2, 2008
290 posts
58 upvotes
I pay $375 a year for comprehensive insurance, $87 for the driver's license and $263 for the plates. So $725 per year all-in. You can pay that per month in Ontario, so let's not under-estimate how much cheaper running a car is in Quebec! If you are spending a significant time during the year in Quebec, then it is an obvious decision to switch everything over to Quebec. You can't risk having two licenses (QC and ON) because if you present an Ontario license to a police officer when driving a Quebec-registered vehicle, any half-awake officer can run a check with both the MTO and SAAQ and you'll be found out in seconds. The fine for having two licenses in Quebec is nearly $900. Why would you bother anyway?

If you are not spending any significant time in Quebec, then it's a different situation because your insurance wouldn't pay out if they discover the fraud, so you're kidding yourself if you think you're covered.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 9, 2006
70 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
zekele wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 2:13 am
I pay $375 a year for comprehensive insurance, $87 for the driver's license and $263 for the plates. So $725 per year all-in. You can pay that per month in Ontario, so let's not under-estimate how much cheaper running a car is in Quebec! If you are spending a significant time during the year in Quebec, then it is an obvious decision to switch everything over to Quebec. You can't risk having two licenses (QC and ON) because if you present an Ontario license to a police officer when driving a Quebec-registered vehicle, any half-awake officer can run a check with both the MTO and SAAQ and you'll be found out in seconds. The fine for having two licenses in Quebec is nearly $900. Why would you bother anyway?

If you are not spending any significant time in Quebec, then it's a different situation because your insurance wouldn't pay out if they discover the fraud, so you're kidding yourself if you think you're covered.

I have a hard time believing you because my experience says otherwise. Like I said I was pulled over by Quebec police and OPP. Driving to Montreal is not a big deal to me and if there is a way for me to establish an address then it would be even better (as far as I know PO box is not a valid address)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
BMW_7 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 7:00 pm
I have a hard time believing you because my experience says otherwise. Like I said I was pulled over by Quebec police and OPP. Driving to Montreal is not a big deal to me and if there is a way for me to establish an address then it would be even better (as far as I know PO box is not a valid address)

But the Quebec police did tell you to get a Quebec license and you told the OPP you just bought the car so he probably assumed you haven't had time to switch licenses and used his discretion not to ticket you or anything.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1317 posts
58 upvotes
Saguenay
As somebody who has lived in almost every province, I'm pretty sure this is illegal based on you nomally have a grace period to switch over.

That said I kept NB plates while I was in Ont for 4 years as a student but I always kept all my paperwork in one province/address. I've also kept SK papers while I was on 1 year training in Ont and I got hassled quite a bit but technically I still lived in SK. What you're doing is completely different, and how will you renew the SAAQ papers with a Ont licence?

Just recently, I dove to Ontario to get their licence for the first time because I didn't want to pay that SAAQ ins while I'm out of the country. Well when Quebec cops ran my plates they were ready to impound the car until they realized I had a Ont licence (I was selling the car that week so didn't reg in Ont). I would expect to get hassled, a lot! All they have to do is search your plates which they do. Also if you don't have liability ins, you could be bankrupt and ruin someone's life if you get in an accident! I'm surprised the cops didn't fine you if you don't, and it's far more serious than speeding

Also how does the "I just bought it" work when they look at the dates? Once you lie to the cops I'm sure they stop giving you an easy time, and probably flag you so you never get off easy again!
Newbie
Sep 14, 2011
1 posts
I was driving a car registered in QC, with QC driver's licence, my premuim was $23/mo then after 2 years dropped to $18.
Until I was involved in a small collision (total damage was less than $20 no kidding!) but was sued for a huge amount for loss of enjoyment of life!!!!!
I was lucky that my insurance covered me for that incident, so I had to switch right away as it wasn't worth the risk.

Note: I used to have a pouch only for the QC driver licence and insurance to avoid OPP seeing my healthcard tha I carry in my wallet!

My buddy was caught by OPP after he could not pull his QC driver licence without pulling the ON healthcard with it, the OPP officer was hurt from his hand and if he removes the QC plate himself he will fine him $5000 so he asked my buddy to remove the QC plates and tow his car to get it registered.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 1, 2007
1214 posts
18 upvotes
I know this is an old thread but I got a couple of questions here.

I just moved to Montreal for school from Toronto. When I called the Quebec Licensing office called the SAAQ regarding exchanging an Ontario drivers license for a Quebec one.

I was asked to get 6 months of bank statements along with whole bunch of other documents. I do not have 6 months of statements, I guess I will need to talk to the bank about it. They also asked me for a proof of me staying in Quebec, but I live with my cousins here and all my mailing addresses are still in Ontario because I have people there who can receive my mail. Anyway, the whole process seems to be a pain.

While talking to the officer over the phone, he did mention me about how I can buy a car in Montreal and get it registered in Quebec with my Ontario's drivers license. Do you guys have any idea about it?

Also, would the insurance be calculated based on my Ontario's drivers license or would it based on the registration in Quebec? When I asked the rep who I was on the phone with, he mentioned how it would be a question for the insurance company and not him.

Any ideas guys?
× < >

Top