driving without motorcycle insurance

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2005 12:31 am
Tags:
None
Jan 24, 2005
18 posts

driving without motorcycle insurance

I just bought a bike a week ago and I got caught driving it without insurance and with the old owner's plate. I know it's pretty bad. I switched the ownership in my name 2 days ago and I was planning to get insurance and plates this week, I'll do it tomorrow.
any advice on how to get out of this might help.
I live in On. and the owner just forgot to take the plate off. He didn't have insurance...should I plea guilty?
15 replies
Apr 25, 2005
100 posts
fight the ticket

you will lose...

had other friends in the same situation

the cop knew before he pulled you over if he ran your plates
if you were caught in a speed trap, fighting the ticket might be your best bet

g'luck
Apr 5, 2003
70 posts
You never stated what province you are in.

Was your ticket for failing to surrender the insurance documentation, or not having insurance at all? Assuming you live in Ontario, the latter I believe is a minimum $5000 fine, and future insurance companies will most likely not want to insure you. I'm not sure why you have the old owner's plate since he was suppose to take it off the bike. Since you just bought the bike off the previous owner (and even had his plates), it sounds like the bike may have still have had insurance coverage through the previous owner still active.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Do you have insurance coverage already with another vehicle? I thought you had like 14 days or something to register a new car with the insurance company. Maybe the same applies for the motorcycle.
Aug 9, 2004
468 posts
Parts Unknown
How did you transfer ownership without insurance?
right now, you have a owners pink slip with the last owners signature on it right? the bike isn't even your in the eyes of the gov't.
sorry to say but you are screwed.
If I were you, I'd get insurance right away and get the bike plated. Your insurance on the bike will go up after the insurance company finds out about the latest charge so enjoy your summer b/c next years rate is gonna go way up or they might not even take you.

btw,
a buddy of mine is selling his bike because of a similar situation... His insurance this year is $3000 which is almost the value of the bike.

I ride a sportsbike and I get followed by the police quite regularly... And this is not becase I'm being foolish on public roads, It's simply because many younger adults can afford a $4000 bike, but can't afford the insurance. The police ALWAYS run my plates when I look in my mirrors.
I've been pulled twice just to check my papers. Once they see that all is in order, they tell me that whenever they see sportbikes, the chances are high that they are lacking in insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2244 upvotes
Etobicoke
Just be thankful you didn't hit anything/anyone while riding without insurance. If you did, you'd be in a lot more pain now.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
No fighting and it's a $5000 minimum fine, and your insurance will reflect this charge immediately... count on between $1000-5000 a month rates from a special insurance company.

Fight this even though in the end you'll lose, but you have to give the judge a chance to adjust the amount lower (prolly $1000) so you can at least carry on. A good legal firm should be able to mitigate this for you in a way that will express your deep regret at your foolishness, and your immediate correction of the situation. This is worth the few grand in legal costs, further down the road.

I directly know of a case (car not bike) which the fine was reduced to $1000 and suspended for 6 months. But his insurance went through the roof... he ended up with a 3 month policy for $3000, then was reduced to half that for the next 3 months etc.. he's now in the 300 range a month after a year.

We're a civilization of laws, and the majority agreed to them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
sorry, but you mean riding without motorcycle insurance.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
driving without motorcycle insurance is the #1 thing you shouldn't be doing!

try torontoticketfighers thye they preetty good.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1952 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
Sell the bike and when your court date comes up show that you have sold it and learned from your mistake. Taking the bus now! Perhaps the judge will lower the 5K fine.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
JarodSeto wrote:How did you transfer ownership without insurance?
right now, you have a owners pink slip with the last owners signature on it right? the bike isn't even your in the eyes of the gov't.
You can transfer the ownership as 'un-fit'
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2001
2823 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I was in court and watched a couple of guys fighting no insurance charges.
if you're nice the judge will reduce the fine by a LOT. reduced the first person to $1500, the second to $1000, and 3rd to $1800.

they're still really really hefty fines though.
Hi5exposure Photography
http://www.hi5exposure.com
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
And the conviction will still be on your driving record which will make it basically unaffordable to ride until it expires.
Banned
Dec 13, 2003
951 posts
2 upvotes
LOL.....I always had insurance on my RZ500R, but did get nailed back in 1998 with no insurance and wrong plates on my old car, I went to court on the first date, and was remanded, and I never went back, so they fines my $5000 + $1000 surcharge for not showing up for court. Good thingmy girlfriends father who owns a body shop let me use dealer plates for a year, then I was paying $620 a month for a year then it goes down each year after.

jder wrote:I just bought a bike a week ago and I got caught driving it without insurance and with the old owner's plate. I know it's pretty bad. I switched the ownership in my name 2 days ago and I was planning to get insurance and plates this week, I'll do it tomorrow.
any advice on how to get out of this might help.
I live in On. and the owner just forgot to take the plate off. He didn't have insurance...should I plea guilty?
*My HeatWare*
"Rogers needs to buy the CN Tower and call it Rogers Tower. This way, TED can shoot laser beams out his ass to our modems when we go over 60 Gigs." - MoeB -LMFFAO!!!
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
Cronic wrote: then I was paying $620 a month for a year then it goes down each year after.
Holy crap.. $620/mo for insurance?

Time to take the bus for a few years..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)