[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…

Drop off 2016 income tax return at local CRA office

For those 25% who still file income tax return by paper and you are near the local CRA office, you can save the postage if you can drop off your income tax return at the drop box at the local CRA office.

Because April 30, 2017 falls on a Sunday, the deadline to file is Monday, May 1.

Here's the Regina/YQR location.

Imageimage uploadercertificity.com

Remember, you have until midnight Monday night.
:arrow: "notwithstanding" for issues of Constitutional Crisis level.... or not.
:arrow: Hey Ottawa. Where's my $372M free money ... err... loan? Signed, West.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol. And soon, MJ.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6180 posts
1892 upvotes
Montreal
It's more like 10% filing paper according to recent data.

Thanks for sharing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
cashinstinct wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:17 pm
It's more like 10% filing paper according to recent data.
I stand corrected at 15% of total returns are paper, based on CRA's statistics in spring 2016.

However, of the 85% file electronically, 56% were by 3rd party e.g. tax preparation company, accountants, and 29% by individuals.
Source: https://taxpage.com/articles-and-tips/t ... tics-2016/

So when I said "For those who still file income tax return by paper", I meant those who prepared their own returns.
Based on the above numbers, out of those who prepared their returns (15% + 29%), paper returns are a whopping 34% ( 15 / (15 + 29)). Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thanks for the feedback.

Disclaimer: The above "Fun with Statistics" discussion is for educational and entertainment purposes, and not to be taken too seriously. :rolleyes:
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol. And soon, MJ.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1463 posts
539 upvotes
saskwatcher wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:58 am

For those 25% who still file income tax return by paper and you are near the local CRA office, you can save the postage if you can drop off your income tax return at the drop box at the local CRA office.

Because April 30, 2017 falls on a Sunday, the deadline to file is Monday, May 1.

Here's the Regina/YQR location.

Imageimage uploadercertificity.com

Remember, you have until midnight Monday night.
The mail box is inside the bldg in Regina while it is outside of the bldg in S'toon so you can drop it off any time.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1378 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal
Out of curiosity, why are you not filing electronically?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
943 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
saskwatcher wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:52 pm
I stand corrected at 15% of total returns are paper, based on CRA's statistics in spring 2016.

However, of the 85% file electronically, 56% were by 3rd party e.g. tax preparation company, accountants, and 29% by individuals.
Source: https://taxpage.com/articles-and-tips/t ... tics-2016/

So when I said "For those who still file income tax return by paper", I meant those who prepared their own returns.
Based on the above numbers, out of those who prepared their returns (15% + 29%), paper returns are a whopping 34% ( 15 / (15 + 29)). Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thanks for the feedback.

Disclaimer: The above "Fun with Statistics" discussion is for educational and entertainment purposes, and not to be taken too seriously. :rolleyes:
But how many of the 15% are accountants?
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1463 posts
539 upvotes
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:43 pm
not everyone is computer proficient or they don't trust computer to not making mistake.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1378 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal
I can understand the computer proficiency part but dont agree on the computer not making mistake. Humans are way more prone to it than machines
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
nmclean wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:46 pm
But how many of the 15% are accountants?
Very few.
By "accountants", do you mean "professional tax preparer" ? Back in 2013 for the 2012 tax year, CRA mandated that professional tax preparers who prepared more than 10 returns had to submit them electronically.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/mandatoryelectronicfiling/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7761 posts
4722 upvotes
I thought paper died.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:43 pm
I'm not doing my tax return by paper and pencil. Astonished Face I do use tax software but I submit a paper copy.
CRA still wants you to retain supporting documents for 6 years in case your return is reviewed and they ask for supporting documents. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... u-eng.html

My solution is to submit the supporting documents (on their "stamp" of course), which they scan, so now they have a copy and I don't have to keep track of it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
Sanyo wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 11:43 pm
I thought paper died.
Just like "vinyl records" ?

"Sunrise Records reveals locations of 29 new stores in former HMV space" http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sunrise ... -1.4017361
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 2:12 pm
I can understand the computer proficiency part but dont agree on the computer not making mistake. Humans are way more prone to it than machines
Tax software now has "Auto-fill" which can download the tax slips from CRA, which gets rid of human data-entry errors. This assumes the values are copied into the right box of the return.

If you can use a smart devices, you can run the tax software.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6756 posts
3912 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ml88888888 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:49 pm
not everyone is computer proficient or they don't trust computer to not making mistake.
You are far more likely to make a mistake with a paper return. The tax preparation software is almost idiot proof.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6756 posts
3912 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
saskwatcher wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 11:51 pm
Just like "vinyl records" ?

"Sunrise Records reveals locations of 29 new stores in former HMV space" http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sunrise ... -1.4017361
Not a good comparison. The vinyl (analog) sound has always been superior - more people are finally waking up to that. You get much more depth and emotion through the music on vinyl. Paper tax returns just plain suck.