• May 1st, 2017 10:28 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3956 upvotes
BC
cashinstinct wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:17 pm
It's more like 10% filing paper according to recent data.

Thanks for sharing.
saskwatcher wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 12:52 pm
I stand corrected at 15% of total returns are paper, based on CRA's statistics in spring 2016.

However, of the 85% file electronically, 56% were by 3rd party e.g. tax preparation company, accountants, and 29% by individuals.
Source: https://taxpage.com/articles-and-tips/t ... tics-2016/

So when I said "For those who still file income tax return by paper", I meant those who prepared their own returns.
Based on the above numbers, out of those who prepared their returns (15% + 29%), paper returns are a whopping 34% ( 15 / (15 + 29)). Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thanks for the feedback.

Disclaimer: The above "Fun with Statistics" discussion is for educational and entertainment purposes, and not to be taken too seriously. :rolleyes:
nmclean wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:46 pm
But how many of the 15% are accountants?
And don't forget ... what percent of the 15% paper returns were prepared electronically and then printed out on paper to be filed?
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
394 upvotes
toronto
saskwatcher wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 11:53 pm
Tax software now has "Auto-fill" which can download the tax slips from CRA, which gets rid of human data-entry errors. This assumes the values are copied into the right box of the return.

If you can use a smart devices, you can run the tax software.

Replacing those error with system deficiency which are even worse if you don't notice them (eg. Everyone coming with the T5008 question, or fact the Quebec withholding tax gets lost if you are filing as a resident of another province)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1570 posts
725 upvotes
saskwatcher wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 11:44 pm
I'm not doing my tax return by paper and pencil. Astonished Face I do use tax software but I submit a paper copy.
CRA still wants you to retain supporting documents for 6 years in case your return is reviewed and they ask for supporting documents. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... u-eng.html

My solution is to submit the supporting documents (on their "stamp" of course), which they scan, so now they have a copy and I don't have to keep track of it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Just because you send in paper return and paper docs, you are still required to keep them forb6 yrs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5638 posts
2243 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Final returns (deceased) can only be filed paper, so I (& anyone else who lost a loved one this year) will be taking advantage of the CRA office on this.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1393 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 1:43 pm
Out of curiosity, why are you not filing electronically?
Some people are afraid of hacking. Of course, your data is being held on a computer somewhere anyway...
May 28, 2012
10273 posts
2426 upvotes
Saskatoon
I think paper returns are processed after the electronic ones...that might be an incentive for going the online route, especially if you are expecting a large refund.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1378 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal
foreigncontent wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 7:39 am
Replacing those error with system deficiency which are even worse if you don't notice them (eg. Everyone coming with the T5008 question, or fact the Quebec withholding tax gets lost if you are filing as a resident of another province)
Can you elaborate on this part? This is exactly my situation and when verified, UFILE did transfer the maximum 45% allowable of income taxes paid during the year from Federal to Provincial
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2796 posts
744 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
I think when I eFiled, 5 minutes later my account reported my return had been received and assessed. Mind you, the Notice of Assessment was not produced for several more days. Perhaps that's to accommodate people who find an error or omission seconds after they submit.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
394 upvotes
toronto
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 11:52 am
Can you elaborate on this part? This is exactly my situation and when verified, UFILE did transfer the maximum 45% allowable of income taxes paid during the year from Federal to Provincial
I had a payment from a pension plan which erroneously had me as Québec résident without QC tax, the Ufile download does not catch the amount as I am filling as on Ontario resident so had I not noticed I would have gotten this included in my Tax paid last year (thankfully my tax situation made it that I would notice $300 missing in my refund)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1570 posts
725 upvotes
Marzipan wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 11:54 am
I think when I eFiled, 5 minutes later my account reported my return had been received and assessed. Mind you, the Notice of Assessment was not produced for several more days. Perhaps that's to accommodate people who find an error or omission seconds after they submit.
There is no way CRA would assess your return 5 min after you sent it out using Netfile. Since you used Efile, that means a tax preparer or accountant filed for you. They would only know that CRA received your return, not assessed it. When you said 'my account reported my return had been received and assessed', did you check it in Myacct on CRA site?
Last edited by ml88888888 on Apr 29th, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1570 posts
725 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 8:04 am
Final returns (deceased) can only be filed paper, so I (& anyone else who lost a loved one this year) will be taking advantage of the CRA office on this.
That is not 100% true. If you have not notified CRA about a person is deceased, you can still file using Netfile. That was what I found out when my mom passed away in 2012.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
Mars2012 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 11:01 am
I think paper returns are processed after the electronic ones...that might be an incentive for going the online route, especially if you are expecting a large refund.
I think paper returns are processed by data-entry staff who key in the information from the paper copy. That's probably the reason for longer processing time for paper returns. After it is keyed in, it is in the same queue as the Netfile returns, waiting to be processed by assessment staff.

Anyways, *BUMP*, today - May 1,2017 - is the filing deadline, so good luck everyone.

It's been a fun thread. See you next year. Same Bat time, same Bat channel. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
:arrow: "notwithstanding" for issues of Constitutional Crisis level.... or not.
:arrow: Hey Ottawa. Where's my $372M free money ... err... loan? Signed, West.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol. And soon, MJ.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5610 posts
5580 upvotes
Vancouver
Mike15 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 8:04 am
A stamp is 85¢. As long as it's postmarked by May 1 it's considered to be received on time, even if Canada Post delivers it to CRA a week later. Is it really worth the hassle of trundling down to the CRA office, and likely spending more money on gas/transit/parking than you save on postage?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5638 posts
2243 upvotes
Kingston, ON
ml88888888 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 4:27 pm
That is not 100% true. If you have not notified CRA about a person is deceased, you can still file using Netfile. That was what I found out when my mom passed away in 2012.
Sorry about your Mom. Anyway, I don't know about then but if the return is flagged as a final return in Ufile it won't let you Netfile, and there's no way to lie about this. CRA & Service Canada were notified immediately for my Grandmother-in-law so CPP/OAS would stop and we could get mail forwarded (passed in November, closed apartment by end of December).

Kiraly wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:18 am
A stamp is 85¢. As long as it's postmarked by May 1 it's considered to be received on time, even if Canada Post delivers it to CRA a week later. Is it really worth the hassle of trundling down to the CRA office, and likely spending more money on gas/transit/parking than you save on postage?
For me the CRA office is close and I drive by it all the time anyway. The usual post office I drive by (other than Shoppers) is 8-5, and closed on lunch hour. No brainer for me.