• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2017 10:28 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1586 posts
738 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:35 am
Sorry about your Mom. Anyway, I don't know about then but if the return is flagged as a final return in Ufile it won't let you Netfile, and there's no way to lie about this. CRA & Service Canada were notified immediately for my Grandmother-in-law so CPP/OAS would stop and we could get mail forwarded (passed in November, closed apartment by end of December).

I used Studiotax and it let me filed my mom's return online before I notified CRA. If you tried to filed after CRA is notified, then Netfile service would not allow it.

For me the CRA office is close and I drive by it all the time anyway. The usual post office I drive by (other than Shoppers) is 8-5, and closed on lunch hour. No brainer for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1263 posts
277 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
Kiraly wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:18 am
A stamp is 85¢.
Is it really worth the hassle of trundling down to the CRA office, and likely spending more money on gas/transit/parking than you save on postage?
A stamp is worth 85 cents but cost $1 + tax to buy as a single stamp. With extra tax slips and paperwork, my return is probably bumped into the next weight class, so I'll need 2 stamps, which is still $1 each.
Mike15 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:35 am
For me the CRA office is close and I drive by it all the time anyway. The usual post office I drive by (other than Shoppers) is 8-5, and closed on lunch hour. No brainer for me.
Ditto. CRA office is nearby. Suitable for a noon hour walk so it's a no-brainer. Or if it is "5 minutes to midnight" and you're driving to the main post office, you might as well go to the CRA office.
:arrow: "notwithstanding" for issues of Constitutional Crisis level.... or not.
:arrow: Hey Ottawa. Where's my $372M free money ... err... loan? Signed, West.
:arrow: Sask distracted driving - the old fashion way - with alcohol. And soon, MJ.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5632 posts
5599 upvotes
Vancouver
saskwatcher wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:32 pm
A stamp is worth 85 cents but cost $1 + tax to buy as a single stamp. With extra tax slips and paperwork, my return is probably bumped into the next weight class, so I'll need 2 stamps, which is still $1 each.
Only suckers pay Canada Post's 15¢ single stamp surcharge. If you can't or won't buy a pack to get them for 85¢ each, just ask for 85¢ worth of 10¢ and 25¢ stamps and use those. And paying $2 for the next rate class? It's only $1.20 for up to 50g. I've never had to pay over the minimum when I filed on paper, which I did up to the 2014 tax year.