Page 1 of 2

Dropped iphone 5, next step?

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 2:15 am
by zetx
http://i.imgur.com/2jXW2lQ.jpg
Dropped it on a road and found it 5 mins after only to see it shattered like this.

I got the phone just less than a month ago at best buy. I went to apple store they said that i have to book an appointment and a technician will assess what happened and try to fix it accordingly. Told me it'd be around 229 dollars to fix it. After making an appointment i went to best buy and asked if there is any way to get it fixed at cheaper price but they told me that once apple technician fix my phone i should bring it to best buy and since i got the product exchange plan (warranty) they will exchange that with a brand new iphone.

Will this be the best way to get it repaired?

Anyone else here share similar experience?

Re: Dropped iphone 5, next step?

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 2:41 am
by X360
You buy from BestBuy then probably through HUP or new activation...

Otherwise if you buy it with your credit card then you might check if your credit have purchase insurance. It covers these damage for few months... You give them the estimate price to fix it from Apple store and they will refund your money...

Less than a month, you can buy AppleCare Plus $99 and pay another $49 to repair

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/APP_I ... for-iphone

BestBuy product exchange plan (warranty)... Is your phone still work? If they only care if your phone isn't damage then maybe just buy iPhone 5 glass online at cheap price and change it yourself then do an exchange from BestBuy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUTfhpGSVMI

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 4:20 am
by zetx
X360 wrote: ..

Less than a month, you can buy AppleCare Plus $99 and pay another $49 to repair
they check the condition of the phone when you purchase applecare plus. Doesn't make sense if apple let people buy applecare+ after the phone is broken.

But thanks the phone does work (ie the sound and speakers work) but i think some components got damaged as well the screen is filled in coloured stripes

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 9:01 am
by ceredon
Sometimes Apple will just swap it out. I've know a few people that damaged their phones, completely their fault, and Apple just swapped it. It probably depends on the rep and your purchase history with them to a degree, but it's possible. They have tightened up on this a little so they might not do it as often.

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 9:05 am
by DJ_Peanuts22
No biggie.

Just buy a new one.

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 1:31 pm
by sexyj
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

poor you.. (literally)

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 1:35 pm
by redgrandam
I'd just get it repaired through apple. See if you can add AppleCare after in it so you are covered for the same thing for the next few years. Apple might give you a refurbished one instead of actually repairing the damaged one, not sure. But their refurbished ones are good.

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 3:21 pm
by kitty
Give it to your GF and have her take it into an Apple store. I have found their replacement policy to be... flexible.

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 4:04 pm
by zetx
kitty wrote: Give it to your GF and have her take it into an Apple store. I have found their replacement policy to be... flexible.
what if i made the reservation already under my name but i send my friend (a girl) to show up.. LOL still works?

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 4:32 pm
by tmpz
Pay to get it fixed by Apple, Out of Warranty Repair.

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 5:43 pm
by dgnr8
I bought AppleCare plus over the phone last year. Dropped my iPad off the roof of my car 2 weeks after I bought it. It's a long story....

I didn't tell them anything happened and they didn't ask. Call to buy it.

Posted: Jan 19th, 2013 6:37 pm
by kitty
zetx wrote: what if i made the reservation already under my name but i send my friend (a girl) to show up.. LOL still works?
Yup. Just tell her to say "my ex-BF bought this phone for me." Needs to give the pretense of availability.

Posted: Jan 20th, 2013 11:56 am
by wongbr
Out of warranty repair = 229$ I think

If you get AppleCare = 99$ + 49$ deductible

If you can't get AppleCare an out of warranty fix will only cost you 50$ more than it was supposed to

Posted: Jan 20th, 2013 3:05 pm
by gilboman
Good time to upgrade to much better android , wp8 or even new bb10 that don't have dated hardware and ancient software like iOS. You're lucky to get this chance

Posted: Jan 20th, 2013 3:14 pm
by ceredon
gilboman wrote: Good time to upgrade to much better android , wp8 or even new bb10 that don't have dated hardware and ancient software like iOS. You're lucky to get this chance
Preach it brother!

:)

Posted: Jan 20th, 2013 6:35 pm
by Supra_KL
dgnr8 wrote: I bought AppleCare plus over the phone last year. Dropped my iPad off the roof of my car 2 weeks after I bought it. It's a long story....

I didn't tell them anything happened and they didn't ask. Call to buy it.
1) Try this. Buy 99$ AppleCare+ over the phone and say you're from out of town - no apple stores within an hour drive or something....
Bring it in and pay the $50 Deductible.

2) If not, see if the rep will let you buy AppleCare+ and use one of the accidental damages on the spot - most likely thing that will happen.

3) Ignore all the other people saying you'll get some sympathy, complain or getting a girl to go. It not gonna fly and piss off the rep and they wont offer you #2.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 8:47 am
by Supercooled
Shackles unbound.

Seriously though, sounds like a the BB suggestion is the best. $200+ for a new phone again is worth it if you really want to keep the iP5

Apple will likely fix the screen, casing, etc IT ISN'T BRAND NEW, DAMNIT! Use the warranty from BB.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 12:00 pm
by Psykopathik
buy the hdmi output cable and us it on the tv only :p

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 12:25 pm
by sixer
Perfect timing for BB10 launch, get yourself something better, and this is only the Beta version shown in the video.

Posted: Jan 21st, 2013 12:34 pm
by Rainne
Yes..why not replace your iPhone 5 with the best selection of first party apps for a BB with a limited selection of butchered translated apps.

(Btw, for the people who say Note II / S3 is better, the stock OS is garbage and laggy).