• Aug 7th, 2017 10:54 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1569 posts
26 upvotes

Dropping out of preschool/travelling?

For the first time in our lives we have the financial flexibility to travel for an extended amount of times but for as great as it may sound i'm afraid there may be negative consequences for kids. We are in early thirties with a 4 and a 2 year old currently completing our 6 month temporary Europe relocation which turned of to be hell of a positive experience. 4yo has been enrolled into preschool starting September and we are back in Toronto few days before that for him to start.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback removing kid mid year from a school? We were talking how for the first time in our lives we could spend winter someplace warm(in Europe) with kids but we aren't sure whether it will be good for the 4yo to miss preschool. Any clue what happens if you try to re enroll next year at the same or new school? Kids love to travel, they adapt quickly and seem to enjoy what we do.

Some input would be appreciated.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7890 posts
567 upvotes
I have a coworker that pulled his kids out (was 5 and 7?) of school and they have been traveling the world for the past 2 years. They did some pretty extensive research and found that homeschooling ~20 mins a day was sufficient to meet the Ontario curriculum. The added benefit of travelling the world and learning about all the countries and cultures was a huge bonus. He's about to come back this fall. I plan on picking his mind then.
May 14, 2008
220 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa
Stock R wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 1:05 am
I have a coworker that pulled his kids out (was 5 and 7?) of school and they have been traveling the world for the past 2 years. They did some pretty extensive research and found that homeschooling ~20 mins a day was sufficient to meet the Ontario curriculum. The added benefit of travelling the world and learning about all the countries and cultures was a huge bonus. He's about to come back this fall. I plan on picking his mind then.
20 mins a day? I find that a bit hard to believe....but am I putting too much faith in our schools?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16291 posts
4936 upvotes
Ottawa
You mean SK, as preschool would be for toddlers at the age of 3?
My kid will be going to SK this fall and the curriculum that we received from the school was a joke to say the least; as our current daycare has more academic concentration.
Your kid will not miss anything and won't be "falling" behind per se, as I'm sure travelling and meeting new people is just as good for their social skills as being in a classroom all day with a bunch of kids.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3650 posts
1099 upvotes
Toronto
We have pulled our kids out of school for up to a month a few times (we pulled them for 2 1/2 weeks this January in grades 6 and 8). No regrets, they have learned more travelling than in the classroom. "Preschool" isn't "school". Don't sweat this. Just go.
Jul 5, 2004
22241 posts
2122 upvotes
maggieandyaothecats wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 4:47 am
20 mins a day? I find that a bit hard to believe....but am I putting too much faith in our schools?
It is hard to believe because it's simply untrue. A co-worker of mine home schools his kids (his wife teaches them while he works) and they literally have to spend as much time learning as they would if they were in a traditional school. They need to be taught all the same subjects and they must teach very specific things in order to follow the curriculum. CAS even got involved and made a home visit to ensure the kids were in fact receiving a proper education (apparently that's common with home schooled kids).

Anyway, it's only pre-school. Not all kids go to pre-school. I'm not sure how much traveling would benefit a 4 year old, but missing pre-school won't do any harm either. It's really all about socialization at that age, the setting doesn't matter much.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Jan 8, 2009
636 posts
277 upvotes
GTA
Shaner wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 8:17 am
It is hard to believe because it's simply untrue. A co-worker of mine home schools his kids (his wife teaches them while he works) and they literally have to spend as much time learning as they would if they were in a traditional school. They need to be taught all the same subjects and they must teach very specific things in order to follow the curriculum. CAS even got involved and made a home visit to ensure the kids were in fact receiving a proper education (apparently that's common with home schooled kids).

Anyway, it's only pre-school. Not all kids go to pre-school. I'm not sure how much traveling would benefit a 4 year old, but missing pre-school won't do any harm either. It's really all about socialization at that age, the setting doesn't matter much.
I don't know about 20 minutes a day but if you're travelling with older kids, you're spending more than that regardless, just maybe not formally. We did a year long RTW with our daughter when she was 7 turning 8 and she kept a daily journal, read with both of us (fiction plus the travel guides we had lying around), did some math homework on a daily basis in math workbooks we picked up, and learned a lot about history, geography, art, war, politics, economics, psychology, etc, as we travelled.

That said, she was at the top of her classes when we left and she was at the top when she came home (other than needing to reinforce a couple math concepts taught in a particular way at home versus the British workbooks we'd been able to obtain on our travels). I don't know how she would have done if she hadn't been a kid who loved reading and writing already and wasn't incredibly eager to learn as we went.

But as everyone else has said, this is preschool. Do some reading together (which is nice for cuddling anyways) and look for your teachable moments and you'll be good :)
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1585 posts
194 upvotes
As an elementary teacher I can without a doubt tell you that the learning experiences that your children will gain from travelling will be much greater than what they will learn in school at this time in their lives. The fact that you're on this forum asking questions about it strongly suggests that you'll ensure that your kids get a good head start before the following school year anyway.

Enjoy travelling. It sounds like you're doing an awesome job!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4633 posts
2327 upvotes
At 4 travelling would be fun for them (well most some kids hate it). Its not like your pulling your kid out of middle school here where it would effect for sure.