• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 7:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Gammatron wrote: The trunk. The bloody thing only opens by a button inside or by a button in your remote control. No handles or keyholes anywhere to be seen, in other words I cannot use a simple key. God forbid you leave your FOB inside the trunk and your doors locked.
Looks like everyone has most of these "rants" covered but I have to say on this one (more than the other ones)--welcome to 2008! LOL. Like seriously who uses a key to open the trunk in this day and age? What kind of ghetto superstar actually wants to use a key to open the trunk? I haven't used one...well wait a minute I don't think I've ever had to use one! All the cars I've owned and even the cars my parents had when I was younger (but old enough to be competent enough to know/use a trunk on a car) have had either a cable release or an electronic button in the car; since the late 90s they've all had keyless remote as well.

First off keyholes are gaudy as hell; secondly it's a way for many numbskulls to scratch up their trunk (like ppl that have a slew of keys on their car keyring and end up hitting the body with the keys when they use the key in the trunk). In fact I have no idea why they kept trunk lock cylinders so damn long on cars, they should have been eliminated 10 years ago. Some manufacturers have kept them wayyy too long. Anytime I see a Lancer Ralliart or Evo and see the gheytto trunk lock cylinder it's like ---> :facepalm: Pontiac G6? Same deal. Those cars trunks' looks terrible due to the stupid keyhole. There are others too but those are among the worst with just how much the keyhole ruins the look.

All that said a lot of cars that have no key cylinder for the trunk to be see, still have an "emergency" one hidden under the area above the license plate; sometimes you have to remove a little trim piece to get to it. However I don't know why anyone would want to use that normally/daily.

I dunno most of these complaints seem like those of an "old man" :lol: :P
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
251 upvotes
North York
While I agree new car features have a learning curve for older folks, I have to admit op has a very good point about new cars having so many dash light/bell warnings, yet there is not a warning to indicate the tail/head lights are off.

I see way too many drivers in new cars driving around without either any lights on or with the high beams on all the time.

Also the 1 degree climate controls can be annoying at times eg.when you quickly decide to open the sunroof/windows yet still want comfortable temp.

Proximity keys can also be annoying, eg. Our BMW always remains unlocked when parked in the drive way yet the keys are hanging INSIDE the house front door where all the other keys are (like most people do), so now we have to keep the BMW keys upstairs, often times put on our shoes to leave then remember the keys are upstairs so have to take shoes off and run back up, so not exactly a $700+ convenient feature.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: OP is way too funny. I think his blood pressure just shot up dramatically when he was driving the Taurus ... :D

Is OP aware there are hybrids and fully electric cars now on the market ? Somebody better warn him before he goes banana here !
You guys got me wrong here... my thread is not about me not understanding technology in cars or that I didnt know these tehcnologies existed... my thread is about me ranting about useless car "features". None of you have yet explained to me why or how to disable running lights in new cars when you are running the engine and waiting outside in the dead of winter. Is this "feature" really necessary? Somebody here advised me to read the manual instead of telling directly how to do it, this means it cannot be done. Simple things like this make me want to go back to the good ol' cars that used to be made for independent people like myself.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
OP I envy you. Living in the 80s was so awesome.

Man I wish I had some Saturday afternoon wrestling to watch. Junkyard dog beating up on some no name guy with plain black trunks. Solid times.
Dec 20, 2012
583 posts
532 upvotes
Barrie
Gammatron wrote: my thread is about me ranting about useless car "features".
You complain about the temperature controls taking too long, but are against one-touch window operation? Why would you want to turn off your running lights when sitting outside in the dead of winter?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
153 upvotes
Gammatron you must really be some old geezer because all the feature you described have been on cars for a long time. My friends 2004 acura (9 year old car) has every single one of the features you said: auto-up/down windows, dash that lights up whenever engine is on, dual zone climate with +/- buttons instead of dials, no keyhole in trunk/passenger side, PRNDS instead of PRND321, and the locking is programmable, you can set it to re-lock itself if you unlock it but don't open a door, or auto-lock when you put it in gear, or when you reach certain speed, it's all configurable because different drivers want different behavior.

Who still uses keys to get in their car? I use keyless entry every time. Most modern cars have no trunk key hole, nor do they have a keyhole on the passenger side door. The only reason the driver side door still has a key hole is in case the battery dies.

I don't know about the taurus but on most japanese cars the headlights will turn off if you engage the parking brake, so you would be able to keep the engine running with all the external lights off if you wanted.

The only people who would be surprised by the features you described are:
1) people who only drive really old cars, which will lack most of those features
2) people who only drive the cheapest economy-class compact cars, which also lack most of those features
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
Gammatron wrote: You guys got me wrong here... my thread is not about me not understanding technology in cars or that I didnt know these tehcnologies existed... my thread is about me ranting about useless car "features". None of you have yet explained to me why or how to disable running lights in new cars when you are running the engine and waiting outside in the dead of winter. Is this "feature" really necessary? Somebody here advised me to read the manual instead of telling directly how to do it, this means it cannot be done. Simple things like this make me want to go back to the good ol' cars that used to be made for independent people like myself.
You only rented it, you didn't buy it. Why do you care how to disable lights in a car you don't even own? Or more so, why would anyone explain how to, when you can figure it out on your own. It isn't their responsibility to teach you, or maybe they don't know either (don't own that car) but figured the info may just be in the manual.

There are plenty of cars out there that lack features, including old ones, and new ones. Just go buy one that meets your needs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Those cars trunks' looks terrible due to the stupid keyhole.[/QUOTE]

That's right, people focus in on the keyhole when looking at a trunk...I AMAZED that you don't rage when stopped behind a car with a keyhole at a traffic light!

[QUOTE]OP I envy you. Living in the 80s was so awesome. [/QUOTE]

Actually it was, not as much "crap for craps' sake" like today!
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1048 posts
247 upvotes
Calgary
Gammatron wrote: So this means you cannot sneak up to your GF's house in a dark alley, or leave the car running in a driveway at night in winter without shining your lights through someone's window.
Gammatron wrote: None of you have yet explained to me why or how to disable running lights in new cars when you are running the engine and waiting outside in the dead of winter.
By law is the running lights are not supposed to be disable... I am sure this has to do with safety
I don't know which car you found that could factory disable DRL
If you really want to disable it, just remove the fuse for the DRL

Plus why would anyone needs to sneak up to your girlfriend's house in the creepy way??? unless you are stalker
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
OP didn't mention anything about an Owner's Manual. Now if the Taurus came without one he'd have a legitimate complaint.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7649 upvotes
Kanata
nasa25 wrote: OP I envy you. Living in the 80s was so awesome.

Man I wish I had some Saturday afternoon wrestling to watch. Junkyard dog beating up on some no name guy with plain black trunks. Solid times.
LOL...or Tito Santana doing the same. Used to always wait to see if Saturday Night's Main Event would be on NBC.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
3014 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Back up camera/sensors are quite useful especially when you have a big car. Doesn't mean you don't have to shoulder check but in certain situations it comes in handy. Especially when lining up the car when backing up. Don't want to jump the curb/bump into the car behind you. Perfect parking most of the time.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
Gammatron wrote: . Simple things like this make me want to go back to the good ol' cars that used to be made for independent " technologically challenged / phobic " people like myself.
Fixed that for you. ;) .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop living in the past...

[INDENT]" Living the past is a dull and lonely business; looking back strains the neck muscles, causing you to bump into people not going your way " - Edna Ferber
[/INDENT]

btw.....once you've mastered the technological complexities of today's modern vehicles ...you should try and graduate up to trying some of some today's other neat ideas.....like TV remote controls / cable / satellite, ATM/debit cards, USBs, smart phones etc.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
poedua wrote: Fixed that for you. ;) .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop living in the past...

[INDENT]" Living the past is a dull and lonely business; looking back strains the neck muscles, causing you to bump into people not going your way " - Edna Ferber
[/INDENT]

btw.....once you've mastered the technological complexities of today's modern vehicles ...you should try and graduate up to trying some of some today's other neat ideas.....like ATM/debit cards, USBs, smart phones etc.
Was with my dad at a local Tim hortons establishment. Used the tap debit and almost blew my fathers mind.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
gwmkwan wrote: By law is the running lights are not supposed to be disable... I am sure this has to do with safety
I don't know which car you found that could factory disable DRL
If you really want to disable it, just remove the fuse for the DRL
Some cars, particularly GMs from the 90s and early 00s, you could disable the DRLs by applying the parking brake. One click of the brake is enough to trigger the switch but often not enough to impede the car's motion (particularly on cars with rear drums), therefore you could drive in the dark w/o the DRLs coming on if you wanted to. Some cars this only works if you start the car with the parking brake applied; once it is released initially they don't go out if you reapply the brake unless the engine is turned off. However many cars you cannot disable them, period. Them's the breaks unfortunately (no pun intended). It depends on the make, model, and year...even the same manufacturer changes this from model to model and from year to year.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1020 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge
ES_Revenge wrote: Some cars, particularly GMs from the 90s and early 00s, you could disable the DRLs by applying the parking brake. One click of the brake is enough to trigger the switch but often not enough to impede the car's motion (particularly on cars with rear drums), therefore you could drive in the dark w/o the DRLs coming on if you wanted to. Some cars this only works if you start the car with the parking brake applied; once it is released initially they don't go out if you reapply the brake unless the engine is turned off. However many cars you cannot disable them, period. Them's the breaks unfortunately (no pun intended). It depends on the make, model, and year...even the same manufacturer changes this from model to model and from year to year.
1998-2010 GM vehicles actually have the ability to turn off headlights manually, but ONLY if your car is not moving and the transmission is set to "Park". The feature is found on the left-hand stalk that controls left/right turn signals as well as DRLs and headlights. If you take the car out of "Park", the headlights will automatically turn back on.
Jun 9, 2007
874 posts
210 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
dassub wrote: You must drive a really old, ***** car, if those "features" are new to you.
I won't even say that these features are on my E90, but I will say that most of these features are on my now-retired '88 Audi!
My 2000 Audi A4 has most of these features too!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
falen55 wrote: 1998-2010 GM vehicles actually have the ability to turn off headlights manually, but ONLY if your car is not moving and the transmission is set to "Park".
As I said it's not the same for all models. 1998 Grand Ams (as an example) could certainly turn off the headlights and the DRLs and keep driving, by the method I mentioned above; I'm pretty sure Sunfires operated the same way but I can't remember now.