Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto

Dry Cleaning - ripoff?

how much should dry cleaning cost? For a shirt. I brought it to this place downtown and they don't speak english. The guy looks at me and says shirts are 1.70 + tax. Good stuff I said. Then he looks at the shirt a little more and goes this one 3.50 + tax. When I asked why he said the buttons are fancy. It's just a $40 shirt for godsakes lol

So I said no. Is these prices standard?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
flito ray wrote:how much should dry cleaning cost? For a shirt. I brought it to this place downtown and they don't speak english. The guy looks at me and says shirts are 1.70 + tax. Good stuff I said. Then he looks at the shirt a little more and goes this one 3.50 + tax. When I asked why he said the buttons are fancy. It's just a $40 shirt for godsakes lol

So I said no. Is these prices standard?
I guess so.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
ive seen lots of places that advertise 99cents for a shirt, 3.50 seems too much. Though think about it, to clean a shirt it probably takes 2-4 minutes, you can thus do 20-25 in an hour, there isn't much left after you pay the employee to do it, factor in the cost of chemicals, rent etc.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21465 posts
4880 upvotes
YUL
I find the 'button' excuse rather fishy. I once got charged more because the shirt was silk, which I can understand. But for a button?
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Is there any device that one can buy to dryclean at home or steam the clothes nice and smooth?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
just remove the buttons so you can get the $1.70 deal.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21465 posts
4880 upvotes
YUL
15-20_God wrote:just remove the buttons so you can get the $1.70 deal.
That would be a good prank to pull on the guy that works there. Take an old shirt you don't care about with similar buttons, and when he tells you the price is higher because of the buttons, just cut them off right in front of him :lol:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
They may need to use different chemical (may be more expensive) so that it won't damage the button (de-color or whatever).
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
najibs wrote:That would be a good prank to pull on the guy that works there. Take an old shirt you don't care about with similar buttons, and when he tells you the price is higher because of the buttons, just cut them off right in front of him :lol:
lol that's ghetto but i like it. but ya i think he was trying to take advantage of me. lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
flito ray wrote: but ya i think he was trying to take advantage of me. lol
when did primerica get into dry cleaning?
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14494 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
Shaf wrote:Is there any device that one can buy to dryclean at home or steam the clothes nice and smooth?
There's a product called Dryel, its a home-dry-cleaning kit.

You could also buy a steamer, look on Craiglist or Kajiji
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
15-20_God wrote:when did primerica get into dry cleaning?
what does that have to do with this thread? I went to J&A's Dry Cleaning at Dufferin.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21465 posts
4880 upvotes
YUL
flito ray wrote:what does that have to do with this thread? I went to J&A's Dry Cleaning at Dufferin.
:lol:
Jun 26, 2006
439 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
Just wash the shirt by hand. :lol:
"Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey." :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21465 posts
4880 upvotes
YUL
delphine wrote:Just wash the shirt by hand. :lol:
I dry clean all my dress shirts. I paid on average $40 per dress shirt. hand washing them at home and ironing them will only cost me time and I'll end up ruining the shirts. I prefer to pay a bucka shirt and have it dry cleaned.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6902 posts
586 upvotes
GT'eh
flito ray wrote:what does that have to do with this thread? I went to J&A's Dry Cleaning at Dufferin.
LOL!!..this thread is too funny. Next time he tries to over charge you you should bring in a shirt that you stank up pretty bad and throw it at him & say wash this.

Regarding Primerica = I'm assuming because Primerica has been known to scam and take advantage of people.

if it smelles like a scam it might have something to do with primerica.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h <0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<h lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: rFD | 500+

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)