• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2018 7:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 12, 2016
39 posts
4 upvotes

dry eye in Toronto

It has been a year since I came here and my eyes are severely dry, I went to 2 doctors/GP and they told me its because of the weather and there is nothing much you can do about other than using a humidifier in house and use artificial tears.

Now since 1 year I am using artificial tears, multiple times in a day which doesnt fix the problem properly but helps a bit.
Does this mean if I live in Canada I have to live like this? or maybe the doctors here are not of good quality and they are unable to fix the issue. Did anyone of you face same issue?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11616 posts
1656 upvotes
City of Vancouver
GP = General Practitioner. Have u seen an eye doctor?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
684 upvotes
See an optometrist. There are more aggressive options to treating dry eye other than just artificial tear usage.

Starting on Omega-3 supplements (ie: fish oil capsules) is a great place to start. 2000mg (ie: 2 x 1000mg capsules) twice daily (so 4000mg/daily) is what my doctor told me to take. It made a difference.

Overnight lubricants can help day-time hydration. Systane Nighttime is what I'm using right now.

There's prescription products like Restasis. And punctal plugs and punctal occlusion procedures.

Also, if you're using artificial tears, you need to be careful of the brands you use, and even the preservatives such products contain.

Lots of potential treatment options for dry eye that an optometrist can go over with you. I'm a post-refractive surgery patient, so my need for treatment is gradually dissappearing, but similar treatment principles do apply.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
In my mid 20s i had alot of problems with dry eye. I had before due to contacts usage on top of that I also had laser surgery. So my eyes are great problem is I also had really bad dry eye. Morning I use bion tears. And I incorporate antiallergic prescription eye drops a d works wonders. Dry eyes are gone but I have to keep using it. Moment I stop it comes back. Hope that helps the drops are called patanol or pataday.
Mar 29, 2018
1 posts
Can someone using Restasis please give me their thoughts on how you like it. Thanks!
Oct 23, 2017
361 posts
157 upvotes
GTA West
AbdulR388006 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:23 am
It has been a year since I came here and my eyes are severely dry, I went to 2 doctors/GP and they told me its because of the weather and there is nothing much you can do about other than using a humidifier in house and use artificial tears.

Now since 1 year I am using artificial tears, multiple times in a day which doesnt fix the problem properly but helps a bit.
Does this mean if I live in Canada I have to live like this? or maybe the doctors here are not of good quality and they are unable to fix the issue. Did anyone of you face same issue?
I am very familiar with this problem which is NOT a condition caused by the Canadian climate.

Not many ophthalmologists or optometrists bother much with this condition but it is very serious. But there is a dry eye clinic at the Herzig Institute in Toronto, and there may be others as well. The recommended treatments include:

- Use special wipes to kill demodex parasites that live in the follicles of your eyelids and block the flow of the fluid that lubricates your eye surface (Cliradex). Take a lot of care to wash your eyelids and keep them clean. This is a major factor for some people but not others.
- I found that most eye drops like Systane actually aggravate the condition in the long run. You have to get drops containing sodium hyaluronate, e.g. a product called Hylo which you can order through Shoppers or Costco (cheaper). Some optometrists stock a similar product called Hyabak. You can also order though Amazon. This is a product that you see a lot in Europe but not here. These have been a game changer for me.
- You can do a Lipiflow treatment at the Herzig for $750 per eye. This treatment uses a special machine to heat up your eyelids and gently squeezes out any congealed fluids, to unblock the ducts in your eyelids and restore the normal flow. In my case the improvement was minor but some people have excellent results - it all depends on your condition.
- You can do blinking exercises, blinking with more pressure than normal to squeeze out fluid and open up the ducts in your eyelids
- It goes without saying that you should use a humidifier to keep the air in your house moist
- A lot of prescription drugs dry your body out - have you started taking anything new during the past couple of years?
- Omega 3 supplements are also said to help and are recommended by Herzig, as another poster said.

Good luck, it will take some time and money to determine the most effective treatment for your case.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10647 posts
1026 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
AbdulR388006 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:23 am

Do you get eye itch at the same time?? A lot of peeps have allergic conjunctivitis which involves dry eyes and itchiness around the eye corners, tear ducts. Mine started like a month ago. Never had this before. Thought it was due to looking at the puter too much or using contacts for too long a period. Apparently it coincides with the regular allergy season which begins mid-march/early april involving certain bacteria. He prescribed Allergan Opticrum. You need a script, not OTC. Used it for 3 days and condition disappeared. Continue to use it twice a day. Once in the morning and once before going to bed. Ask your GP or optometrist/ophthalmologist.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Nov 24, 2014
77 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aznnorth wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 9:51 am
Do you get eye itch at the same time?? A lot of peeps have allergic conjunctivitis which involves dry eyes and itchiness around the eye corners, tear ducts. Mine started like a month ago. Never had this before. Thought it was due to looking at the puter too much or using contacts for too long a period. Apparently it coincides with the regular allergy season which begins mid-march/early april involving certain bacteria. He prescribed Allergan Opticrum. You need a script, not OTC. Used it for 3 days and condition disappeared. Continue to use it twice a day. Once in the morning and once before going to bed. Ask your GP or optometrist/ophthalmologist.
+1
Thought I had pink eye (red goopy eyes when waking up)
tried all the blepharitus treatments etc. turned out to be allergies,
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12182 posts
1049 upvotes
Toronto
I had this issue as well for some time and got suggestions for allergy meds, etc. In the end, a good eye doctor told me that I suffered from meibomianitis. What happens is that sweat can cause oils to build up around the eyelash area. Eventually, the meibomian gland won't function well and your eyes get dry. His suggestion was to go get some baby shampoo and clean your eyelids. The Dollar store stuff works fine he said.
Washing the eye lids daily with a non tear shampoo will allow you to massage the upper eyelid and the lash areas to remove oils and dirt. You will feel a difference in a couple of days. If not, your eye doctor might prescribe you doxycycline.