• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2018 12:00 pm
Tags:
None
May 28, 2017
59 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Ever since 2 summers ago I was diagnosed with MCS (multiple chemical sensitiviies), I started using Organic Jojoba Oil on my skin (after shower when skin is slightly wet/moist) - it helps lots + it doesn't leave any sticky oil/greasy feeling!! In between I bought "BroccoFusion - Newco Canada" on fingers/hands dry areas before bedtime (got a sample from local Health/Supplement store); I used it for Hives/Rashes/Skin allergies - replaced Benadryl. My store gave me Weleda Sample which I will try.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
Organic cold pressed coconut oil. It’s relatviely inexpensive, it’s natural, had some anitbaterial properties, and you can use it all the time.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Jan 12, 2005
508 posts
76 upvotes
I agree with the coconut oil. It's the only thing that stops the cracking for me. Try it earlier in the season before the cracking starts. Wear gloves with it at night and it stays on y our hands and doesn't stain your sheets. Helps on your face too when you're sick and blowing your nose too much
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2518 posts
936 upvotes
Everywhere
Maybe try to work on improving your circulation and keeping your core and head warm. I used to have very dry hands too and used lots of lotions but no longer need them. What I noticed is that when it got cold out or I wasn't wearing enough, my hands and feet got cold. Whenever, I can see my breath, I wear a toque and gloves.

I really figured it out one winter when I hurt my back. I would wear a heating pad on my back when I went out to keep my back muscles warm. I also noticed that my hands and feet did not get as cold nor were they as dry. Cold weather seems to reduce circulation to the extremities. This could be a simple solution unless you have some other affliction that causes this.
One mistake athletes and spectators can make is to focus on warming hands and feet, which often feel cold first, rather than warming the rest of the body.

“An old mountaineering adage is, if you want to keep warm hands, wear a hat,” Dr. Tipton said.

Athletes do best when they keep their head and torso warm. That’s because the body’s first defense against cold is to shut down blood flow to the extremities, essentially sacrificing the hands and feet to maintain the temperature of the heart, lungs and brain.
Source, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/spor ... mpics.html
Dec 16, 2012
73 posts
15 upvotes
Try olive oil or pure aloe vera if you want a natural solution. Aloe Vera plants are relatively cheap.
[external link removed]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17884 posts
2574 upvotes
GTA West
My dry skin used to get so terrible in the winter that the skin on my hands would crack, fall off and bleed.

Finally I was introduced to this particular hand cream, which worked wonders for me:
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, Fragrance Free

Note that there are numerous different variants with similar packaging. I prefer this fragrance free one.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6616 posts
1310 upvotes
Second the recommendations for fragrance free Glysomed and Neutrogena Norwegian. Best hand creams on the market.
Mar 12, 2018
65 posts
75 upvotes
O'keeffe's. Stuff has been a life saver for me. Use the foot one religiously on my feet as well.
Oct 10, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
This is not a cream solution but its an overall solution - install a water softener in your home. It will change your life. My hands used to get so dry, they would crack and bleed and now they are 100% better and so soft.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14533 posts
990 upvotes
Markham
Similar problem each winter, except it's only my right middle finger that starts to dry, flake, and bleed :(

Tried a whole bunch of different creams and none of them "cure" it
ShadowVlican