• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2019 1:52 pm
[OP]
Sep 14, 2007
819 posts
253 upvotes

Dryer drum bearing

My dryer makes a loud rumbling noise and auto shuts-off after about a minute. From my research, I think this is due to the drum bearing being loose or disconnected.
The manual says to call a technician to get it serviced. Anybody know if this can be fixed by myself, and if not, are there any appliance technicians you can recommend?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1305 posts
176 upvotes
Grimsby
Go to Youtube and search for your make and model, you will probably find many useful posts telling you exactly how to fix the issue.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2759 upvotes
The usual fault with dryers is that they build up a lot of lint around the drum, motor, and drive belts. Step 1 is to open it up and vacuum thoroughly in there before you worry about the bearings.
Mar 22, 2017
483 posts
380 upvotes
Dryers are actually quite simple machines and can be DIY repaired by people without a lot of experience. If you open up your dryer, be prepared to fix any of a couple of things - your issue sound like it could also be a worn motor.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/applianc ... /view-all/

Again, don't be intimidated - this isn't hard to do, you can typically fix everything in the dryer in about an hour and a half or so. While the dryer's open (which takes the longest), you may as well replace all the typical worn parts, they aren't free but they aren't that expensive.
Mar 6, 2011
50 posts
24 upvotes
Ajax, ON
grumble wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 7:49 am
Dryers are actually quite simple machines and can be DIY repaired by people without a lot of experience. If you open up your dryer, be prepared to fix any of a couple of things - your issue sound like it could also be a worn motor.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/applianc ... /view-all/

Again, don't be intimidated - this isn't hard to do, you can typically fix everything in the dryer in about an hour and a half or so. While the dryer's open (which takes the longest), you may as well replace all the typical worn parts, they aren't free but they aren't that expensive.
I agree with you. When I changed the heating unit in mine, I thought to myself that this is like fixing a toy.
Feb 28, 2018
88 posts
46 upvotes
Waterloo region
zivic2play wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 8:48 am
I agree with you. When I changed the heating unit in mine, I thought to myself that this is like fixing a toy.
unless its a gas dryer....