None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville

Dryer Problem Advice Required

Tonight our 5 year old Frigidaire Auto Balancing laundry dryer made a clunk sound and now when it tumbles there is a scrapping sound.
I'm hoping this will be enough information.
Is it just a wheel or something I should be able to replace myself?

Thanks,
Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2711 posts
31 upvotes
maybe one of the plastic guides . quite common but should be fixed before it takes them all out .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
I found the model # MDEC336RES1.

Now I'm fairly handy with a screwdriver (or maybe a Harvey Wallbanger), is this something I can do myself? I guess I first have to figure out how to get into it.

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6881 posts
1504 upvotes
MMMMMike wrote:I found the model # MDEC336RES1.

Now I'm fairly handy with a screwdriver (or maybe a Harvey Wallbanger), is this something I can do myself? I guess I first have to figure out how to get into it.

Mike

I highly recommend this site - it has saved me money on both my clothes washer and dryer DoItYourself.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
Well, if you are somewhat handy, at least open it up and take a look. As indicated above, maybe a guide fell or who knows ... might as well take a quick look and see if it something semi-obvious.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
Blexann, thanks for the site. They don't have anything on dryer repair, but I checked some other areas and they were quite informative.

Well Cheap, I took a quick look at the bottom and back. Certainly there didn't seem like any obvious entry, like a computer case.
I've just taken another look and found two screw-heads at the back/top. I've got no time now, but I'm betting that will allow the top to be removed and then the front to hinge forward. I'll take a look tonight.

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
Well, it can be a challenge to get into some of these appliances ... and each manufacturer can do it differntly.

Try this, remove the two screws at the back. This allows the entire top to slide forward / back ... allowing you to release the spring clips where the front top edge of the washer connects to front of the washer ... you can them "lift" the top of the dryer off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
Thanks for the sites and tips guys.
It'll make a great Christmas Day project. :)

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>
Dec 9, 2004
408 posts
9 upvotes
I believe it is the rear shaft beaing/bracket that holds the drum in place,it has a tendancy to dry out and crack.the part is around 25.00,the scraping noise you hear is the drum scraping on the housing,which will get extremely loud...
To get to the piece you'll basicly be taking the dryer right apart,I mean all apart,if your handy it will take you a few hours to figure out.
Also when you have it apart you might as well replace the teflon guides
on the top,they are 6.50 each,you'll need I believe 2.
Good Luck
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
1168 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
In addition to the above,,,you might as well change the belt and vacuum out any dust you might find.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6881 posts
1504 upvotes
MMMMMike wrote:Blexann, thanks for the site. They don't have anything on dryer repair, but I checked some other areas and they were quite informative.

Well Cheap, I took a quick look at the bottom and back. Certainly there didn't seem like any obvious entry, like a computer case.
I've just taken another look and found two screw-heads at the back/top. I've got no time now, but I'm betting that will allow the top to be removed and then the front to hinge forward. I'll take a look tonight.

Mike
Also, try posting a question about the problem your having with the dryer - you will be surprised - I had a problem with my dryer and the people on that site were able to provide me with pictures on exaclty how to fix it. I'm sure I saved more than $200.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
It's ironic I see a post on here regarding a problem that arose for me today. I have an archaic dryer that was inherited from the previous owner. It looks like something out of the 80's; needless to say, it isn't very efficient. Today the dryer would not work. Upon inspecting the motor, nothing really came to light as to why it has quit on us, but through trial and error, it appeared that holding the START button for a few seconds got it to start. In other terms, there may be some kind of relay problem between the start button and the actual starter. Latency.

Is this familiar to anyone who may be able to provide some electrician tips? Thinking of taking advantage of the Boxing Day frenzy and buy a newer, more efficient dryer, but as always, money is tight.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5624 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
whatever you do, make sure you unplug it first!!!!!! :lol:
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2003
1853 posts
22 upvotes
Belleville
Well, I started to look at the dryer this morning. Tipped it over to get good access to the back, when I heard a clink sound. I looked at the floor and there was a zipper.
I tilted the dryer back, pushed the button, no scrapping sound, all seems great.
I've since put through 2 loads and all is good.

Thanks for all your help though folks... much appreciated.

Mike
MY VLOG
<< DAILY VIDEO DIARY >>