• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 7:03 pm
[OP]
Mar 31, 2015
87 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge

Dryer repair question

I have a Samsung dryer that came with the house we bought last year.

It has started to make this grinding metal on metal noise just when the dryer starts spinning and this sound would stop after a minute or so. There will be intermittent short squeaks during the cycle too.

is this something worth repairing? do you have a ballpark figure?

Also looking for recommendations for repair companies in Cambridge area?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1305 posts
176 upvotes
Grimsby
Why not make the first step a trip to Youtube? Type in the make and model and no doubt you will find numerous videos on how to repair the problem yourself.

Watch more than one to be sure a similar set of circumstances are shown.

How old is the machine and is it worth putting serious money in to it by calling outside help?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2759 upvotes
Dryers are pretty simple. Open it up, vacuum out all the lint, squirt a shot of lubricant on the pulley wheel bearings if you can (not on the rubber belts!). Check to see if the noise is reduced or eliminated.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10873 posts
10117 upvotes
Oakville
It's a Samsung, probably best to cut your losses and buy a new, non Samsung unit.

That said I would try to DIY first, but I hear parts are hard to get for Samsung's.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
6451 posts
1531 upvotes
Toronto
Lexisexy wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:41 am

It has started to make this grinding metal on metal noise just when the dryer starts spinning and this sound would stop after a minute or so. There will be intermittent short squeaks during the cycle too.

Open it up and run it to see what the problem is.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Broker - Mortgage Architects (#10287) and Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
President's Club Award Winner At The Mortgage Architects
Apr 19, 2018
344 posts
257 upvotes
Lexisexy wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:41 am

It is probably worth your while to try and trace the sound. Dryers can be made to rotate by hand. See if the sound is produced in a revolution. It might reveal the drum could be grinding against the housing. Something could also have fallen in between the drum and the housing and occasionally gets caught up in the mechanism which results in the sound.

If no noise is identified, you could try running the dryer with the door open by figuring out where the safety switch is and keeping it closed. With the door open, you might be able to hear the noise and its general location.

If nothing is identified at this point, there is nothing left ut to take off some of the housing so you can visually inspect for worn parts.

If everything still looks OK, then there probably isn't much to be done other than to put up with the noise until the dryer dies, which is probably sooner rather than later given it is a Samsung.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10737 posts
786 upvotes
Brampton
They have bad pullies.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Mar 31, 2015
87 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge
Thanks for the ideas! Happy new year!
YOUTUBE - tried watching that. I was overwhelmed with the whole process of opening it up. LOL.
i'll try to locate the sound with the door open :)
Apr 19, 2018
344 posts
257 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 7:50 pm
They have bad pullies.
Agreed. Saw that on another thread when someone posted the fix for their Samsung dryer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5013 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
TomLafinsky wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 12:11 pm
If the dryer works fine and the only inconvenience is the noise than I would suggest you try to live with it if you can't fix it yourself.
This is bad advice. The noise is indicative of something wrong. If you don't repair it now, it will only get worse and eventually break down.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3721 posts
963 upvotes
Ottawa
An electric dryer is probably the easiest large appliance you'll ever have to service. I have opened up several in my life and there's really not much inside them - belts, pullies, rollers, coils. Bearings go on guide rollers and pullies, belts fray, coils break. Unless it's the control panel (which this issue clearly isn't), it's worth a go.

Just as an indication of the degree of difficulty: I fixed my mother's dryer when it just stopped dead one day back in the 70s. The drive belt was shot. I was 15 years old. Had to take the bus to the parts store. Last year, I replaced the coil in our Kenmore HE3 dryer - super simple job. The biggest part challenge oftentimes is reaching the offending part - sometime, it requires turning the machine around and removing the back. If you have lots of space, no big deal but if you have one of these super-tight utility rooms...
Sep 6, 2007
62 posts
2 upvotes
Just had my 9yo samsung dryer fixed with similar noise issue, I had tried to ignore it for a while (~2months) but progressively got louder and more constant, although still dried clothes properly. Service tech replaced worn pulley, very common issue, replacement is new design ~$230 labour+part+tax in Halifax