• Oct 19th, 2018 3:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2032 posts
2145 upvotes

Drywall pieces, how to use scraps?

Good morning everyone,

Finishing my basement, working with drywall, in many cases I have left over cut outs of around 4ftx2ft or other shapes. I know that part of drywalling is minimizing the amount of gaps or lines to reduce future cracks. Anyway to reuse those leftovers? My plan is to use them for the unfinished area, just have them there.
Last edited by PriceHunter on Oct 9th, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1742 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
Save a few pieces if you have room to store them for future patching needs, but really, drywall is cheap and it's not worth holding onto it. It's also not worth the extra time and effort to tape and mud extra seams just to make use of these scraps.

You're not reusing them BTW - you haven't used them yet. They're scraps.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1661 upvotes
If you can not use them during your project right there and then..dispose of them as they will serve very little purpose except create dust and clutter (in your garage or elsewhere). When I did my kitchen, I had more than 20 left over pieces and stored them in a garage. I had them for almost two years when I realized it was pointless and idiotic to keep the drywall. Took it to my municipal recycling centre.
Last edited by eldiablo on Oct 9th, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4362 posts
1058 upvotes
Toronto
I've use drywall scraps inside the otherwise non-drywalled storage/closest spaces, e.g. those under stairs, just to make them a little nicer. Not going to mud/tape those anyway.

Otherwise on a normal wall, not worth the time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2032 posts
2145 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 10:44 am
Save a few pieces if you have room to store them for future patching needs, but really, drywall is cheap and it's not worth holding onto it. It's also not worth the extra time and effort to tape and mud extra seams just to make use of these scraps.

You're not reusing them BTW - you haven't used them yet. They're scraps.
Thank you, updated the title too.
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6126 posts
2687 upvotes
Paris
I'll spend the money on a full sheet just to not have to wrestle with another mud line personally.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2032 posts
2145 upvotes
smitty9999 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 10:47 am
How good are you at mudding and taping?
Never tried.... but I am planning on leaving that part to the pros. However, wanna be very detailed/clean in my work to make it easier for them.

btw, I used some of the 3'x4' on the washroom wall, the part that would be covered by tiles, as the mold resistant drywall is not the cheapest.

Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1742 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
If you're paying for the mudding and taping then go ahead and use the scraps inside closets, just don't use anything silly small.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4671 posts
1048 upvotes
Kitchener
Drywall is less than what you'll pay for a taper, so if you can use a full sheet without seams do it. Most landfills have recycling for drywall now
Mar 8, 2016
165 posts
31 upvotes
Well, once a guy called me to finish off his basement as his contractor ran away. Well he had left a inch inch gap at the top of the wall not the bottom so I removed all the drywall and behold, the freaking guy put all the scraps in the dam walls lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1651 posts
992 upvotes
Aziz3975 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 1:27 am
Well, once a guy called me to finish off his basement as his contractor ran away. Well he had left a inch inch gap at the top of the wall not the bottom so I removed all the drywall and behold, the freaking guy put all the scraps in the dam walls lol.
Sound barrier!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6126 posts
2687 upvotes
Paris
PriceHunter wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 11:52 am
btw, I used some of the 3'x4' on the washroom wall, the part that would be covered by tiles, as the mold resistant drywall is not the cheapest.
Um... what? So you used normal drywall instead of the proper drywall because the mold resistant stuff isnt cheap?

How cheap will it be to strip the tiles and drywall when mold gets in? Not only did you use the wrong stuff, but you used pieces so it will be harder to tile and a better chance for mold to get in?

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
2032 posts
2145 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 5:07 pm
Um... what? So you used normal drywall instead of the proper drywall because the mold resistant stuff isnt cheap?

How cheap will it be to strip the tiles and drywall when mold gets in? Not only did you use the wrong stuff, but you used pieces so it will be harder to tile and a better chance for mold to get in?
Please read what I stated again. I meant that I used the 3 x 4 ft left of the mold resistant one as it wasn't so cheap to just throw away.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6126 posts
2687 upvotes
Paris
PriceHunter wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 5:41 pm
Please read what I stated again. I meant that I used the 3 x 4 ft left of the mold resistant one as it wasn't so cheap to just throw away.
I re-read. Didn’t see that you used mold resistant drywall anywhere.