• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2008 1:42 am
Tags:
None
May 19, 2006
283 posts
21 upvotes

Which DS Lite Modchip to get?

Hey guys. It's been about 2 years since i bought a modchip for my ds lite and i've decided to upgrade. I just want to know which 1-slot solution is:

1)easiest to use
2)can hold at least 2-4gig microsd card
3)software/loading games easy to do
4)can play movies/mp3 and possibly go online

Can you also suggest a good location to buy one (pac mall?) and, if possible, how to tell if that modchip is a clone/fake (do they still do fakes?)

basically: what modchip do most ppl use and i'll end up getting that

thanks
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2007
1287 posts
55 upvotes
Scarborough
If you're not on a budget, I'd recommend CycloDS in a heartbeat.

Does everything you're looking for and more.

Search the BST forum, there are some dealers that sell them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
5634 posts
208 upvotes
Scarborough
heimdal wrote: if you're not on a budget, i'd recommend cyclods in a heartbeat.

Does everything you're looking for and more.

Search the bst forum, there are some dealers that sell them.
+1
RZ9 5900X|GB X570 Aorus Elite|CR 2x16Gb DDR4-3600 CL16|eVGA GF RTX 3080 10GB XCU|eVGA SN750 P2|Antec P183|LG WH14NS40|Intel 730 480GB SSD|CC MX500 2TB SSD|SS 1TB HDD|SoundBlaster Z|Logi Z-5500|LG 38WK95C/Len TV T22i-10|CS K100|HyperX PF Surge|Ocu. Rift S
Sep 14, 2007
98 posts
Mississauga
Yeah, cycloDS is the best right now for the DS lite. I am using the outdated R4DS which is fine for me still (yea, doesn't update as much but my games is still runing fine). But renember, the newer DSi won't work with any flashcart that is out of the market........for now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7743 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the info!! I can make these stocking stuffers for the girls!
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Nov 21, 2007
7 posts
I'm confused...

"Santa" just picked up yesterday a Nintendo DS Lite for the kids (Walmart), haven't opened it and I don't know anything about Slot 1, etc...

Will the CycloDS work with this?

I understand that the CycloDS will not work with the Nintendo DSi, but that isn't to be released in North America until early 2009. I just want to clarify that the CycloDS will work with a newly purchased Nintend DS Lite. If not, it's going back.

Thx
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1395 posts
[QUOTE]Hey guys. It's been about 2 years since i bought a modchip for my ds lite and i've decided to upgrade. I just want to know which 1-slot solution is:

1)easiest to use
2)can hold at least 2-4gig microsd card
3)software/loading games easy to do
4)can play movies/mp3 and possibly go online

Can you also suggest a good location to buy one (pac mall?) and, if possible, how to tell if that modchip is a clone/fake (do they still do fakes?)

basically: what modchip do most ppl use and i'll end up getting that

thanks[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE] I'm confused...

"Santa" just picked up yesterday a Nintendo DS Lite for the kids (Walmart), haven't opened it and I don't know anything about Slot 1, etc...

Will the CycloDS work with this?

I understand that the CycloDS will not work with the Nintendo DSi, but that isn't to be released in North America until early 2009. I just want to clarify that the CycloDS will work with a newly purchased Nintend DS Lite. If not, it's going back.

Thx [/QUOTE]

Slot 1 is the slot located at the top of your Nintendo DS, where you normally put your "original" DS games into. Most flash cards nowadays are slot 1, including R4DS, DSTT, CycloDS, AceKard2 etc.

Although CycloDS is no doubt the best and high-ended card in the NDS flash card market now. However, I do not feel that it is necessary for MOST users due to its high price and extra features (do you really use extra features? slow motion, real time saving etc). If you are looking for a card that simply allows you to play games, movies, music, ebooks, images etc, a DSTT or AceKard2 will do the job flawlessly. They both support SDHC, allowing you to go up to 16GB capacity, user-friendly interface (menu), able to load games simply with a few clicks (copy & paste / drag & drop) and most of all, they are only 1/3 of what the CycloDS cost.

As an authorized reseller for all NDS flash cards, I would recommend both AceKard2 and CycloDS (if you want to go for the high-end) for your case. And yes, both AceKard2 and CycloDS will work for your newly purchased Nintendo DS Lite

Hope that helps :D
Jun 30, 2008
510 posts
20 upvotes
Hvae any of you guys use theses mod chips for the ds lite

R4 DS Revolution flash card (my choice by reading)

EDGE DS flash card

M3 DS Real flash card with Rumble Pack

If so would you recommended them?

How easy is it to use them?

Are they reliable?

thanks in advance
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1395 posts
Nero25 wrote: Hvae any of you guys use theses mod chips for the ds lite

R4 DS Revolution flash card (my choice by reading)

EDGE DS flash card

M3 DS Real flash card with Rumble Pack

If so would you recommended them?

How easy is it to use them?

Are they reliable?

thanks in advance

EDGE = Clone of the CycloDS, in that case, why not get CycloDS instead?

M3 DS Real = Was one of the best and first card for SDHC support. However, due to its slow interface and poor game compatibility rate. I wouldnt take this into consideration.

R4DS = A popular and solid card. Only downside is the lack of SDHC support, which limits up to 2GB maximum capacity (but this already allows you to store 50 games at once on average). Another concern is that you cannot expect any further firmware updates from the "original" R4DS. You can only depend on third party firmware updates such as the YSmenu etc.

As an authorized reseller, I do recommend the R4DS out of the three given.
Jun 30, 2008
510 posts
20 upvotes
lazychild wrote: EDGE = Clone of the CycloDS, in that case, why not get CycloDS instead?

M3 DS Real = Was one of the best and first card for SDHC support. However, due to its slow interface and poor game compatibility rate. I wouldnt take this into consideration.

R4DS = A popular and solid card. Only downside is the lack of SDHC support, which limits up to 2GB maximum capacity (but this already allows you to store 50 games at once on average). Another concern is that you cannot expect any further firmware updates from the "original" R4DS. You can only depend on third party firmware updates such as the YSmenu etc.

As an authorized reseller, I do recommend the R4DS out of the three given.
do new games coming out work with r4ds? i been hearing that future games wont work with the r4ds.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1395 posts
Nero25 wrote: do new games coming out work with r4ds? i been hearing that future games wont work with the r4ds.
As I mentioned above, you will have to depend on third party firmware / patches for updates.

Why not consider the AceKard2?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
I have an Edge and haven't had any problems yet. I think the only thing missing from the Edge compared to CycloDS, is the realtime save feature.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2612 posts
59 upvotes
couple of ways to get ds flash carts.

1. throught the sponsored posters on RFD, you can find them selling genuine flash carts at pretty low prices.

two of them already been answering your thread.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=574534

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... light=r4ds

2. you can also get them from shops at pacific mall or oriental center at brimley and sheppard. although for those you're gonna be on your own with regards to authenticity.

3. dealxtreme.com, Hong-kong based internet retailer. real cheap prices, takes about 1 month to ship to canada, hit and miss with regards to authenticity.

4. there's like a couple of computer shops downtown near college and sheppard that sells this stuff, two that comes to mind are www.jumbocomputers.com and www.fortunecomputer.com.

as far as picking a flash card is concerned, DSTT hands down wins for economical sense. Acekard2 has a fancy interface that can do copy-paste-show calender-clock. but for most people who don't wanna mess with all that stuff, DSTT has a much simpler interface.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1395 posts
If you are still really confused and worried. Simply grab the CycloDS (high-ended card). This will solve all your concerns then. We just received the latest batch of CycloDS with most updated hardware and firmware. Please PM if interested.
Dec 3, 2004
541 posts
42 upvotes
North York
lazychild wrote: If you are still really confused and worried. Simply grab the CycloDS (high-ended card). This will solve all your concerns then. We just received the latest batch of CycloDS with most updated hardware and firmware. Please PM if interested.
Can you list other good/decent cards that have real-time save feature?
So far i know of:
M3 real (you said poor compat)
CycloDS (pricey)
Edge (clone of CycloDS?)
EZ-Flash V

I guess edge is the best out of them? :) What about ez-flash v? Anything else?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1711 posts
23 upvotes
I have the Edge cartridge :) Works great, it was relatively cheap, and CycloDS skins work wonderfully on it.
Ebay Rating

Heatware
--------------------------------------------------
"This is not fine prose nor, by itself, terribly clear. It would appear to have been drafted by lawyers." - Cummings, J. Bourke, et al. v. Dun & Bradstreet, Inc. (1998)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1395 posts
Since buying one of these flash carts can last you a very long time. If the card you purchase updates often with no issues, then it might be the only flash card you might buy indeed.

If thats the case, why not purchase the CycloDS (best card)? Its only a one-time thing anyways. You're already saving a lot from purchasing games.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)