• Dec 3rd, 2011 1:49 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes

DSC alarm keeps beeping

Hi All,

I bought a house with DSC Alarm already installed. Somehow it is armed and I don't have the code. The seller is no help. I tried to look for the manual on line and tried to dis-arm it but was not successful. Can someone recommend reasonable Installer/Tech to dis-arm it and re-do the codes in Mississauga.

Thanks.
21 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11441 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
How is it beeping?

Also, some DSC alarms will continue to beep periodically if the battery needs to be replaced.
May 22, 2007
696 posts
45 upvotes
Try pressing *2 and the screen should display a number/code. See below.

TROUBLE LED
Your alarm is always self-checking, looking for problems. If any are detected the trouble LED will
light, and the keypad may beep.
Press any key to stop the beeping.
If you want to know what is wrong with your alarm press * then 2. The zone LEDS will light to tell
you what the trouble is :

1 = Service Required
2 = Loss of AC Power
3 = Telephone Line is cut
4 = Communications failure
5 = Sensor or zone fault
6 = Sensor or zone tamper
7 = Sensor low battery
8 = Loss of time and date
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 1:19 pm
Is there a phone # you can call that's on the alarm box? They might be able to assist you!

Good Luck!

There is no phone number listed???!!
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
Deevusone wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 1:41 pm
Try pressing *2 and the screen should display a number/code. See below.

TROUBLE LED
Your alarm is always self-checking, looking for problems. If any are detected the trouble LED will
light, and the keypad may beep.
Press any key to stop the beeping.
If you want to know what is wrong with your alarm press * then 2. The zone LEDS will light to tell
you what the trouble is :

1 = Service Required
2 = Loss of AC Power
3 = Telephone Line is cut
4 = Communications failure
5 = Sensor or zone fault
6 = Sensor or zone tamper
7 = Sensor low battery
8 = Loss of time and date

This is one of those old units where there is no display..I tried bypassing the zones and resetting master code but the light is not turning green = ready position. Still shows system armed.
BTW it only beeps when the entry doors are opened and beeps for 30 seconds..
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 1:39 pm
How is it beeping?

Also, some DSC alarms will continue to beep periodically if the battery needs to be replaced.

Where is the battery located??
Jun 30, 2009
439 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
It should be inside the siren. That's usually in a closet somewhere.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11441 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
Battery may be in the main box itself. Siren may be AC powered.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 2:59 pm
Battery may be in the main box itself. Siren may be AC powered.

I'll check the main box as when I pulled the unit off the wall there is no battery there...
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
When we moved into our previous home, the alarm would chime whenever the front or back door was opened. This was a feature setting to allow one to hear when the someone came or went into the house.

A few years later, we had this continuous beep all day. We had to disconnect the battery to make it stop.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4150 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Ugh.. ignore everything above.

If you have an older keypad, probably one with a black top and a white keypad door, then this is a PowerSeries system.

There will be sensors and keypads around the home. They will be wired to a central panel somewhere. This may be in the basement near the electrical panel, or in a closet.

The panel will usually be a square grey metal box hung on the wall.

To disable the system, meaning have it do nothing, you need to remove the power from it.

To remove the power from the unit, you need to disconnect the battery, which is inside the metal box.
You also need to remove the AC power to it. This will either be a plug in power supply plugged into a wall outlet, or it will be a transformer hard wired into your electrical panel (do not confuse this with the one for the doorbell)

Now, if you are still wanting to use the system, get someone in from an alarm install company to do it for you. Chances are the main panel is going to have to be replaced anyways if you do not know what the Installer code is.
-
Alarms, Cameras, Vacuums, GDOs, TVs, Home Automation and other electronics. This is what I do. phand.ca
Nov 26, 2011
806 posts
87 upvotes
BuildingHomes wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 8:38 pm
Ugh.. ignore everything above.

If you have an older keypad, probably one with a black top and a white keypad door, then this is a PowerSeries system.

There will be sensors and keypads around the home. They will be wired to a central panel somewhere. This may be in the basement near the electrical panel, or in a closet.

The panel will usually be a square grey metal box hung on the wall.

To disable the system, meaning have it do nothing, you need to remove the power from it.

To remove the power from the unit, you need to disconnect the battery, which is inside the metal box.
You also need to remove the AC power to it. This will either be a plug in power supply plugged into a wall outlet, or it will be a transformer hard wired into your electrical panel (do not confuse this with the one for the doorbell)

Now, if you are still wanting to use the system, get someone in from an alarm install company to do it for you. Chances are the main panel is going to have to be replaced anyways if you do not know what the Installer code is.

correct
i used to install alarm systems and do 'hardwire takeover' for systems like these

go downstairs and look for a 'can'
its a square metal box and will probably have a screw holding the door shut
inside you'll find the 'brain' with green and yellow wires (for each zone/sensor) and red and black wires for power
1 set of black/red will go to a big battery - you really have to yank on the CLIP (not the wire) or use a set of pliers and get the connector off
usually the older system will have a set of wires going to an extension of the fuse box
and this will either be plugged in to an outlet or an extension where you need a screw driver to release the wires

depending on the size of the house the panels might be in different locations

i once had a house with over 30 zones and one can was in the basement and the other was on the 2nd floor in the childrens bedroom closet
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11441 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
lamborghinireventon wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 4:34 pm
I'll check the main box as when I pulled the unit off the wall there is no battery there...
Yeah, as others have said, the main box I was talking about is that big metal box.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1239 posts
251 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaf wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 8:33 pm
When we moved into our previous home, the alarm would chime whenever the front or back door was opened. This was a feature setting to allow one to hear when the someone came or went into the house.

A few years later, we had this continuous beep all day. We had to disconnect the battery to make it stop.
Its a feature that can be disabled if you know the mastercode. why not just try 0000 it was ours before I changed it
EugW wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 11:26 pm
Yeah, as others have said, the main box I was talking about is that big metal box.
The box would be near the electrical panel somewhere near the joist as it needs to draw power. look for a receptacle near the panel and follow it back. (look up and around your panel) It might also be locked like mine was. the battery usually last 5 yrs.
× < >