None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12845 posts
3024 upvotes
London

DSLR-A300 vs Rebel XSI

Hey guys, I currently have a Rebel XT but I'm looking to upgrade to a better, but still cheap DSLR(not ready to top the $1000 pricepoint yet) mainly because the LCD on the XT is way too small and I want liveview functionality. With the XSI recently dropping to $799 would it be better to get that(I already have the 55-250is lens) or should I go with the DSLR-300 from [rfdlink=108]sony[/rfdlink] for $599 + Sigma 70-300 APO lens for about the same price as the xsi? Obviously picture quality is important to me but most of the shots will be shrunk down to sizes viewable on the internet so I doubt it will make much of a difference. The live view system and tilting lcd of the [rfdlink=108]sony[/rfdlink] are making me lean more towards that but from all reviews I've read teh XSi is better.

What do you guys think?
3 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12056 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
The XSi costs more but doesn't exactly do what you're looking for. The Sigma 70-300APO is a fantastic piece of glass for the money so you will be happy with that. Contrast-detect AF with the XSi is simply not fast enough for real-world use.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12845 posts
3024 upvotes
London
KorruptioN wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 9:03 am
The XSi costs more but doesn't exactly do what you're looking for. The Sigma 70-300APO is a fantastic piece of glass for the money so you will be happy with that. Contrast-detect AF with the XSi is simply not fast enough for real-world use.
correct me if I'm wrong but the XSi allows you to optically(is that even a word?) zoom in on a specific part of an image when using live view which is best for manually focusing on a specific area where as the sony only does like a digital zoom rendering it usless for such a task

is that correct?
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12056 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, you're correct, but you're referring to features that do different things. The XSi does let you fine-tune that manual focus, but it's only for verification. The cropping mode on the A300 is like a digital teleconverter, cropping out the centre. However, it only works in JPEG mode. It's not terribly useful.
Deal with it.